PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Preserver's Year

Options

Comments

• MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ooh, HM lemon curd. Ages since I made that but found it easy to do and delish.

Confession - my rhubarb n ginger jam has not set! My first ever fail. Co-incidently, or not, it was the first time i had used sugar with pectin in (I was given this, no way would I have paid the extra for it! :D). I am very disappointed. I tried re-boiling last evening but it seems worse now :(. Doh.

Annoying!

Will look out for some nice ys fruit to jam, to try and get my mojo back. Don't like being defeated.
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • The_all_new_me_2
    Options
    Just checked out the blog and its really good. Shame it hasn't been updated in a while.
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,247 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    MMF007 wrote: »
    Ooh, HM lemon curd. Ages since I made that but found it easy to do and delish.

Confession - my rhubarb n ginger jam has not set! My first ever fail. Co-incidently, or not, it was the first time i had used sugar with pectin in (I was given this, no way would I have paid the extra for it! :D). I am very disappointed. I tried re-boiling last evening but it seems worse now :(. Doh.

Annoying!

Will look out for some nice ys fruit to jam, to try and get my mojo back. Don't like being defeated.

Lemons are your best bet for getting a good set ;)
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • Floss
    Options
    Just checked out the blog and its really good. Shame it hasn't been updated in a while.

I think life has changed in her household.
  • The_all_new_me_2
    Options
    That sounds rather ominous. Hope everything is o.k.
  • Floss
    Options
    As far as I am aware it's an emptying nest.
  • D&DD
    D&DD Posts: 4,405 Forumite
    Options
    Hope no one minds me bumping this I know we have a few people starting out preserving and this thread was always such a help with the calendar etc There's also some fab recipes here :)
  • buildersdaughter
    Options
    I have just made some 'shallots agrodulce' using Diana Henry's recipe (passed on to me by a friend). Waiting to see how they turn out.
    Would appreciate debate on whether to brine or to salt pickling onions. I have always brined, but seeing how much water came out of the salted shallots, I wonder whether to try it with onions.
    Beautiful blackberries in the freezer ready for crumble.
    And although not edible, lavender dried and made in to lavender bags, for gifts & fund raising.
  • jfdi
    jfdi Posts: 1,031 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    About 6lb Apple and peach jam (all home grown) made yesterday; freezing lots of tomatoes, lots of raspberries to tide us over the winter.
    Have a crate and a bagforlife full of golden delicious apples to donate to local food project this week.
    Already made about 2lb crystallised ginger.
    Rhubarb will probably be crumbled, potatoes and onions in storage.
    :mad: :j:D:beer::eek::A:p:rotfl::cool::):(:T
  • D&DD
    D&DD Posts: 4,405 Forumite
    Options
    BuildersDaughter I usually just buy the cheapest bag of table salt from Tesco in a sack and salt my onions in layers..ish. I pop them in last thing at night and throw a ttowel over them them in the morning give them a good rinse and leave them in a colander while I get the vinegar and stuff ready.
    They have a good crunch and no salty taste I use the pickled onion recipe from Preserved by Nick Acton I think his name is will check and correct if wrong.

I only tend to salt stuff if the recipe calls for it,not all do but I did try the onions once without and they weren't quite as crisp,perfectly fine but I like the crunch!

jfdi wow what a brilliant haul and how lovely to think of others with the donation.
    I dug out my hessian sacks for our maincrop recently only to find the rather shrivelled remains of a few from the last time I managed to grow any about three years ago!! At least they were so dried up they didn't have that stink potatoes get,
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback