Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

The Preserver's Year - Page 164

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

The Preserver's Year

edited 7 July 2015 at 4:34PM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.7K replies 229.7K views

Replies

• MMF007MMF007 Forumite
    1.4K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Ooh, HM lemon curd. Ages since I made that but found it easy to do and delish.

Confession - my rhubarb n ginger jam has not set! My first ever fail. Co-incidently, or not, it was the first time i had used sugar with pectin in (I was given this, no way would I have paid the extra for it! :D). I am very disappointed. I tried re-boiling last evening but it seems worse now :(. Doh.

Annoying!

Will look out for some nice ys fruit to jam, to try and get my mojo back. Don't like being defeated.
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • Just checked out the blog and its really good. Shame it hasn't been updated in a while.
  • FlossFloss Forumite
    5.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    MMF007 wrote: »
    Ooh, HM lemon curd. Ages since I made that but found it easy to do and delish.

Confession - my rhubarb n ginger jam has not set! My first ever fail. Co-incidently, or not, it was the first time i had used sugar with pectin in (I was given this, no way would I have paid the extra for it! :D). I am very disappointed. I tried re-boiling last evening but it seems worse now :(. Doh.

Annoying!

Will look out for some nice ys fruit to jam, to try and get my mojo back. Don't like being defeated.

Lemons are your best bet for getting a good set ;)
  • FlossFloss Forumite
    5.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just checked out the blog and its really good. Shame it hasn't been updated in a while.

I think life has changed in her household.
  • That sounds rather ominous. Hope everything is o.k.
  • FlossFloss Forumite
    5.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    As far as I am aware it's an emptying nest.
  • D&DDD&DD Forumite
    4.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hope no one minds me bumping this I know we have a few people starting out preserving and this thread was always such a help with the calendar etc There's also some fab recipes here :)
  • buildersdaughterbuildersdaughter Forumite
    466 posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary
    ✭✭
    I have just made some 'shallots agrodulce' using Diana Henry's recipe (passed on to me by a friend). Waiting to see how they turn out.
    Would appreciate debate on whether to brine or to salt pickling onions. I have always brined, but seeing how much water came out of the salted shallots, I wonder whether to try it with onions.
    Beautiful blackberries in the freezer ready for crumble.
    And although not edible, lavender dried and made in to lavender bags, for gifts & fund raising.
  • jfdijfdi Forumite
    1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    About 6lb Apple and peach jam (all home grown) made yesterday; freezing lots of tomatoes, lots of raspberries to tide us over the winter.
    Have a crate and a bagforlife full of golden delicious apples to donate to local food project this week.
    Already made about 2lb crystallised ginger.
    Rhubarb will probably be crumbled, potatoes and onions in storage.
    :mad: :j:D:beer::eek::A:p:rotfl::cool::):(:T
  • D&DDD&DD Forumite
    4.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    BuildersDaughter I usually just buy the cheapest bag of table salt from Tesco in a sack and salt my onions in layers..ish. I pop them in last thing at night and throw a ttowel over them them in the morning give them a good rinse and leave them in a colander while I get the vinegar and stuff ready.
    They have a good crunch and no salty taste I use the pickled onion recipe from Preserved by Nick Acton I think his name is will check and correct if wrong.

I only tend to salt stuff if the recipe calls for it,not all do but I did try the onions once without and they weren't quite as crisp,perfectly fine but I like the crunch!

jfdi wow what a brilliant haul and how lovely to think of others with the donation.
    I dug out my hessian sacks for our maincrop recently only to find the rather shrivelled remains of a few from the last time I managed to grow any about three years ago!! At least they were so dried up they didn't have that stink potatoes get,