PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

An OS Valentine's meal?

Options

Comments

• vodkachick68
    Options
    Thankyou all for your ideas,still not quite sure what to cook. I'm sure i will decide at some point lol. Will let you all know the finished menu:D
  • Nottoobadyet
    Options
    Maybe we could help more if you suggested what you / your OH like, how much you want to spend, how many stops you want to pull out and what you cook regularly?

If they weren't already a staple in my house, I'd be making basalmic mint lamb chops as here: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3678/balsamic-lamb-chops-with-pea-pure

My OH originally succumbed to my charms due to a yummy (very cheap, but always praised) shakshuka, as here:
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/7573/spicy-tomato-baked-eggs
    Mortgage free by 30:eek:: £28,000/£100,000
    :DDebt free as of 1 October, 2010:D
    Taking my frugal life on the road!
  • Rainy-Days
    Rainy-Days Posts: 1,454 Forumite
    Options
    Generally speaking we have a meal at home which is Rib Eye or sirloin steak and then I do a nice salad and DH likes home made chips with his so he gets that with some mushrooms, grilled tomatoes and onion rings. Sometimes I might do a trifle or as Parsonswife says meringues with either strawberries or raspberries with whipped cream. Raspberries I think add a nice tart flavour to finish it all off :-)

Either a nice bottle or red or white wine from Aldi completes it all. I also make sure that we use the dining room. Normally we eat in the kitchen but for something a little extra nice it's nice to use the dining room :-)
    Cat, Dogs and the Horses are our fag and beer money :D :beer:
  • bouncydog1
    bouncydog1 Posts: 2,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Homemade individual beef wellingtons? Half sheet of puff pastry for each, dollop of pate, layer of lightly cooked mushrooms with flash fried steak on top - these can be 4 - 6 oz. Wrap pastry over steak. Turn parcel over, brush with egg and pop in oven for c20 mins until pastry is risen and golden. Serve with asparagus and baby new potatoes.

Pudding - pavlovas filled with fresh cream and fruit or individual creme brulees :-)
  • vodkachick68
    Options
    Well complete change of plan lol. I went to sainsbury earlier and they had 4 main chinese dishes and 2 side dishes for £10 so i bought a mixture of dishes and we shall have a chinese feast. I shall make the pudding,think it will be chocolate mousse. Thanks again to you all for your ideas:D
  • Happyscrimper
    Options
    Don't do McDonalds!! If you are going to make the journey to go up there, you could always do something portable like muffins and takeaway coffee. Or if she is watching her figure, go for smoothies or a fruit salad. You can either make it up and bring it in a chinese container or get a nice one from the shop. Doesn't have to be fancy but McD's doesn't send the message of forethought. I would maybe get a bunch of flowers or even one single stem rose (with thorns off!)

Hope these help, good luck!! :)
    Sealed Pot Challenge #1951
    :A
  • Happyscrimper
    Options
    Well for Dessert, what about making a fruit salad? Just chop up some fruit that would be nice together, put them in a nice dish and whip some cream to put on top. Cheap, lovely and fairly healthy too :)

For your pasta dish, alot of people are leaning towards spaghetti, but i would have that fairly regularly so would want to do something we wouldnt have all the time. Sometimes I would make up some noodles, cook up some chicken and vegetables (like carrots, broccoli or whatever you might have there), get or make a white sauce and mix it all together. It is nice with a white wine too :)
    Sealed Pot Challenge #1951
    :A
  • Nottoobadyet
    Options
    Thanks Happy :) We actually had a gorgeous mango, banana and passion fruit salad with yoghurt in bed this morning, om nom nom! The white sauce dish does sound nice, I'll give it a try sometime.

Have decided on Bruschetta, three cheese (expensive but hey its just once a year) stuffed pasta shells in meat sauce and tiramisu for desert. Will make the Tiramisu tonight to give it time to set.
    Mortgage free by 30:eek:: £28,000/£100,000
    :DDebt free as of 1 October, 2010:D
    Taking my frugal life on the road!
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Tomorrow night we're having:

-Pigeon breasts cooked rare and served on a baby leaf salad with a balsamic reduction thanks to a recipe from another Old Styler.

-Venison steaks again cooked rare, with a red wine reduction served with carrot and parsnip oven roasted in honey and butter and roast potatoes.

-Creme brulee...going to play with my new flame thrower thingy.

-Cheese board

-Coffee

We'll make sure the youngest is in bed and both dress for dinner to make it special and it will cost a fraction of the cost of eating the same meal in a restaurant.

Pink
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family