PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

An OS Valentine's meal?

Options

Comments

• Kitchenbunny
    Kitchenbunny Posts: 2,085 Forumite
    Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Mm, it's getting to that time of year again, and I'm planning my Valentine's meal now :D I think this year I'll make a proper steak pudding (without kidney as Mr KB isn't that keen), serve it with either soft and creamy mash and veg or a few chunky homemade chips. For pud, that's fairly easy - homemade chocolate mousse or a slice of chilled coconut cake with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. :)

The failsafe though I make if the steak pudding doesn't work is a nice juicy steak, with chips, peas, and either garlic mushrooms or mushrooms spiced with fajita mix. And hot fresh-baked crusty rolls.

I'm hungry now!

KB xx
    Trying for daily wins, and a little security in an insecure world.
  • attentionseeker1
    Options
    Last year for Valentine's I did a Japanese theme so starter was tuna tataki (barely seared tuna) and scallops wrapped in nori.

The year before OH cooked and he did Maryland crab cakes as the starter.

We do the same as you- splash out on a fancy meal at home rather than going out for strange set menus and plastic red roses.
  • princesskitty29
    Options
    Although daisyegg has pretty much got the answer, I just wanted to let you all know of something I did in case you are interested. I really enjoy cooking so I often cook us meals and three course dinners so I get stuck at occasions like this, so a couple of years ago on Valentines day I prepared a carpet picnic! Obviously February isn't any good for outdoor picnics, so I spread a picnic rug out in our living room and made lots of little picnic foods and our favourite drinks. I lit candles all around the room and it was really romantic and a bit different, my OH really enjoyed it. I just thought i'd mention it in case it helped anyone. :)
  • Moominmamma
    Options
    How about chocolate raspberry cups for dessert?

Line a mini muffin tin with cling-film, then "paint" good quality dark chocolate (melted with a knob of butter) into each indent to form a cup shape (it shouldn't be too thick, but thick enough not to be too fragile to be extricated from the cling-film when it's set!)

While you're waiting for these to harden, make a white chocolate ganache.

When the chocolate cups are set very carefully peel away the cling-film, spoon or pipe some cooled ganache into each one, top with a fresh raspberry, and for an added touch of glamour you can sprinkle them with a tiny bit of edible gold leaf :)
  • mysterygirl1986
    Options
    Hi all,

Me and my partner have just moved in together after living over 300 miles apart its our first valentines together living together and i want to do a 3 course meal saving as much money as i can.

We both have problems with digesting cheese chicken and pork but can handle it in small portions lol. but I don't know what to cook because all the meals i know about aren't really special meals and ones i have done have been with ex's and don't want to go down that road lol.

any ideas recipes ideas would be amazing :):D:o:rotfl::T
  • kangamama
    Options
    Congratulations on moving in together, I hope you have a fabulous first valentines day :)

We don't usually celebrate valentine's day but I will be making us a nice tea, 3 courses, yum! For a bit of inspiration, we'll be having:
    Bruschetta - homebaked bread if I get chance but if not, whatever's reduced the night before in the supermarket (it doesn't matter if it's a little on the dry side for Bruschetta!) with a tomato, basil, oil mix on top. Probably a scraping for parmesan but you could skip that if cheese is a problem.
    Beef bourguignon with rice (you can use cheaper cuts of beef and cook in the slow cooker to save cash)
    Pudding is yet to be decided but will involve chocolate, possibly a nice scoop of icecream, perhaps hm brownies, depends what I have time to make.

I hope that helps a little xx
    Light bulb moment Feb 2014! Total debt then £17,497.64
    Current debt £8121.16.
    Expected debt free date Aug 2030 with current plan but I will beat that date, I had to adjust it due to a drop in wages :(
  • good_advice
    good_advice Posts: 2,653 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee! Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Happy Valentines in advance.

So far I have a card 10p found it reduced a wile ago from £2.75 ekK!
    Today in Asda I bought x2 chocolate cake mix with chocolate icing £1 each. One I find to skimpy. I bought a pack of love heart sweets I plan to decorate the cake with.

You could make the cake as a pudding?
    The secret to success is making very small, yet constant changes.:)
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Oh bless first Valentine. My first was as a newly married 17 year old ( 50 years ago) and we were skint shared a bag of chips, a bottle of pop and I made jam tarts,bliss.We`ve been divorced many years now but are still friends Sorry not very helpful to you in suggesting what to cook but just wanted to share this memory.
    Slimming World at target
  • 365days
    365days Posts: 1,347 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Nottoobadyet
    Nottoobadyet Posts: 1,754 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hello, all!

Sorry if I missed an existing thread. Would love to see everyone's Valentines menus, as I want to avoid a pricey meal out but am struggling with what to make at home.

Im a competent cook but have the following challenges:

- we eat nice red meat at home pretty regularly (had basalmic mint lamb chops tonight) just a steak isnt really special enough
    - my oven is a bit unpredictable so pizza and baked goods are hit and miss
    - we live in Uganda so cheese costs a fortune and seafood is out of the question, and some baking goods are hard to come by

We do have access to pretty excellent meat and most veg. OH loves pasta dishes etc so would like to hear any suggestions in that direction.
    Mortgage free by 30:eek:: £28,000/£100,000
    :DDebt free as of 1 October, 2010:D
    Taking my frugal life on the road!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business