PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

An OS Valentine's meal?

Options

Comments

• kezlou
    kezlou Posts: 3,283 Forumite
    Options
    brushetta bread, topped with button mushrooms with a nice salad

lamb shank with sauce, potatoes and veg

vegan chocolate brownie topped with grapes served with fruit compote

oat cakes, cheese (you can dairy free soft cheese), olives and cranberries.

hope the above helps:o
  • squeakysue
    Options
    My OH is very easily pleased, a nice steak with mash and veg would be a perfect treat for him but hey it's valentines day you should both be relaxing! Get a takeaway ;)
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Well..

We approach this differently. We avoid high carb or heavy food. ( any thing that will make us sleepy rather than amourous. ). Because we also have a mainly cook from scratch/ three course meal household we tend to simplify for things like valentines....more sensual finger food. Oysters are dear, but always good and the same bottle of champagne can go with some strawberries or other fresh fruit. The time you save cooking you can spend getting fragrant and 'dolled up'' and then enjoy an evening not in the kitchen.
  • daisiegg
    daisiegg Posts: 5,395 Forumite
    Options
    Well..

We approach this differently. We avoid high carb or heavy food. ( any thing that will make us sleepy rather than amourous. ). Because we also have a mainly cook from scratch/ three course meal household we tend to simplify for things like valentines....more sensual finger food. Oysters are dear, but always good and the same bottle of champagne can go with some strawberries or other fresh fruit. The time you save cooking you can spend getting fragrant and 'dolled up'' and then enjoy an evening not in the kitchen.

I don't understand...the SAME bottle of champagne.....meaning there would still be some left after the oysters?! This concept is strange to me :p :rotfl:
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    we have steak and chips...your meal last year sounds fab...where do u buy kobe steak from ? i think its fun to do heart shaped stuff i have some crueset ramekins that i always do some sort of pudding in...pigpen that cheesecake sounds very nice
    onwards and upwards
  • lostinrates
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    daisiegg wrote: »
    I don't understand...the SAME bottle of champagne.....meaning there would still be some left after the oysters?! This concept is strange to me :p :rotfl:

Well, you don't want so much that you get sleepy or ...um, well most importantly he shouldn't drink too much.

We love wine and champagne but are not heavy drinkers. Two bottles would see us snuggling but not in the way planned. I would be asleep very quickly.
  • sonastin
    sonastin Posts: 3,210 Forumite
    Options
    Plenty of time between now and then to stop doing "special" stuff at weekends. A few weeks of, well, not so much deprivation but you know, absence and even the littlest bit of effort seems like a huge deal.

Also, special doesn't need to be complicated or expensive. Making him something that he really enjoys that you can't stand can be a special treat, even if its only beans on toast. The treat is in its rareity and in the way that it shows you care rather than the effort and money spent in producing it.

For my OH, probably sausage, egg &chips - although that is featuring more and more on our day-to-day list these days!
  • daisiegg
    daisiegg Posts: 5,395 Forumite
    Options
    Well, you don't want so much that you get sleepy or ...um, well most importantly he shouldn't drink too much.

We love wine and champagne but are not heavy drinkers. Two bottles would see us snuggling but not in the way planned. I would be asleep very quickly.

We're pretty heavy drinkers :o so that is not a concern! :o
  • lostinrates
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    daisiegg wrote: »
    We're pretty heavy drinkers :o so that is not a concern! :o

Go for it then, two bottles ( or so) oysters and beautiful fruit, feed each other, wear something ridiculous and not designed for cold weather. ( I used to drink more but have not for some years, and dh breaks the City stereotype, like me loves wine, but doesn't drink huge amounts.)

Ime that's prefered to a slightly different version of what we usually have for supper.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Given your allergies how does this sound?

Starter - Either Pan Fried Chicken Livers with lambs lettuce salad
    or Smoked salmon and Home Made Olive and Tomato Bread

Main - Duck Breasts with Black Cherry and Port Sauce served with roasted butternut squash and green beans.

Pudding -Baked Bananas with Rum, Coconut and Maple Syrup.

Followed by some Nice Coffee and some Hotel Chocolat Dark Chocolate Truffles.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport