PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

An OS Valentine's meal?

Options

Comments

• pesky85
    pesky85 Posts: 183 Forumite
    Options
    Chocolate fondants are run of the mill for you?! You should be on Masterchef!! ;)

Hmmm, "posh" desserts...I would have suggested mille feuille but not sure how you would eliminate dairy in puff pastry or whipped cream! Or a raspberry semifriedo...but again that has dairy....Anything looks good with a HM coulis and spun sugar on top mind ;)

One of my favourite starters is butter, garlic and chilli pan fried king prawns served with toasted ciabatta and a rocket side. Really simply but gooood :)

£34/£2013

OU Student! [STRIKE]DSE141[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]SK143[/STRIKE] SDK125 SK277
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 22 January 2013 at 5:27PM
    Options
    Our meal would be prawns in garlic butter or scallops and bacon served with a light salad, duck breasts with a morello cherry sauce which is quite rich so only needs baby potatoes,and steamed veg, followed by chocolate mousse or pavlova and a cheese board.

These threads may give you some inspiration:

An OS Valentine's meal?

Starters

Dinner Party ideas?!

Pudding and dessert recipes

I'll add this thread to our main Valentine's meal threads later.

Pink
  • daisiegg
    daisiegg Posts: 5,395 Forumite
    Options
    pesky85 wrote: »
    Chocolate fondants are run of the mill for you?! You should be on Masterchef!! ;)

Hmmm, "posh" desserts...I would have suggested mille feuille but not sure how you would eliminate dairy in puff pastry or whipped cream! Or a raspberry semifriedo...but again that has dairy....Anything looks good with a HM coulis and spun sugar on top mind ;)

One of my favourite starters is butter, garlic and chilli pan fried king prawns served with toasted ciabatta and a rocket side. Really simply but gooood :)

Try this recipe - http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2011/feb/10/how-cook-perfect-chocolate-fondants - it is really easy and turns out absolutely perfect every time. It even works fine with me using egg replacer and non dairy susbtitute ingredients. OH, who loves chocolate fondants and will always order them when out, says these are the best he has ever tasted. They even come out perfect when you make them at 1am after a LOT of wine and spill flour all over the kitchen in the process (don't ask me how I know! :rotfl:) I'm not a great cook, it's just a fab recipe :)
  • Solstice_3
    Options
    Some really great ideas here! Previous special meals I have made are; sushi (using smoked salmon, tinned tuna, avacado and other veg like cucumber), tapas dishes (patas bravas, chorizo dish, feta, olives and bread) or steak and chips. This year I am making a chorizo and tomato salad and serving it with green salad, cooked meats like parma ham and some feta and nice bread. DH doesn't do puddings but I'm afraid I cheat and buy a Gu pudding as a nice treat :)
    Stay at home Mum to DS Oct 2011 and DD Dec 2013
    Grocery Challenge

April 298.08/300.00 NSD 14 May £213.56/£300 NSD 4
  • skintmum2012
    Options
    thank you I forgot all about Valanties now I will be able to make Hubby a present no idea what now and a nice meal :) I will try to make him Chicken chow main and Chicken balls it's his fave and if i try to make it instead of getting a take away should be more personal and hides face a take away is not really a treat we have at least 1 a week at the mo
    February GC £261.97/24 NSDS 10/12
    march 300/290 NSD 12/6
    ARPIL 300/ 238.23 NSD'S 10/3

• daisiegg
    Options
    Thanks for the great ideas :)

I think I am going to go with a slow cooked lamb shank in red wine main, with veg and truffle mashed potatoes (partly because I need to use my giant bottle of truffle oil somehow!)

I like the idea of the duck suggestions but I really dislike duck. I always like the look of it and the thought of it and then just can't stand it when I am actually eating it!

Now I need to think of a starter and a dessert :) preferably both quite light! Am veering away from smoked salmon because again, we have that quite often. For dessert I am thinking of something tiramisu-esque, as OH loves it and I never make it as it is time consuming to make dairy free.

I am not bothered about having something that is quick to make and doesn't require much prep - I will be happily spending the day in the kitchen sipping champagne, wearing a frilly apron and high heels ;) while OH will find it blissful to have a day to himself playing his guitar. I will finish all advanced prep and clean up the kitchen, then we will both have nice baths, get dressed up and start drinking and eating :)

We are getting married in April and very aware that when we start to hear the patter of little feet we won't be able to do this sort of thing again for years and years! So we want to make the most of these opportunities and enjoy ourselves :)
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    daisiegg wrote: »

We are getting married in April and very aware that when we start to hear the patter of little feet we won't be able to do this sort of thing again for years and years! So we want to make the most of these opportunities and enjoy ourselves :)

Nonsense! :D Once you get the first teeny tiny year over when you're both exhausted, you will probably do this kind of thing even more often as it saves a fortune on going out/babysitters etc.

I still swear that it was date nights when our children were smallish that kept our marriage alive and made us appreciate that we were both humans not just parents. Good luck with your forthcoming wedding. :)

Pink
  • daisiegg
    Options
    Pink. wrote: »
    Nonsense! :D Once you get the first teeny tiny year over when you're both exhausted, you will probably do this kind of thing even more often as it saves a fortune on going out/babysitters etc.

I still swear that it was date nights when our children were smallish that kept our marriage alive and made us appreciate that we were both humans not just parents. Good luck with your forthcoming wedding. :)

Pink

Well that's comforting! Thank you :)
  • floss2
    floss2 Posts: 8,030 Forumite
    Options
    How about port jellies for dessert, made in heart-shaped moulds? DH has piped our initials on them in cream too ;)

As to Lostinrates lovely suggestion of oysters, we can't do raw oysters now, as the last 2 times we've had oysters, we ended up with a bad dose of noro virus too _pale_ so ours will be Oysters Melanie, which are baked with brie & champagne :drool:
  • rachbc
    rachbc Posts: 4,461 Forumite
    Options
    I like LIR idea best!

Really good fresh giant prawns cooked simply on the griddle with som melted herb butter on the side. Peel and dip them for each other, some crust bread to mop up the juices. Frozen berrys and white choc sauce a la the Ivy - and save some of the warm sauce for later....
    People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family