Anything & Everything New York (PART 2) - [please search thread before posting]

Options

Comments

• Quassi75
    Quassi75 Posts: 205 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I do love using the subway, as it feels so New York... but not having to struggle into the subway with lots of bags of stuff... :)
    Debt free from January 2019 - Paid off £31,161.70 in 7 years.
    10 year anniversary
  • becky_rtw
    becky_rtw Posts: 8,389 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Secretly I think I must be such a man - I cant think of anything worse than going on holiday to such a great place as NY to shop *eeeek* but then I did spend two of the mornings I was there running round central park in sub zero temperatures so I guess I'm weird too :D
  • M4RKM
    M4RKM Posts: 5,132 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    kdowner wrote: »
    I do love using the subway, as it feels so New York... but not having to struggle into the subway with lots of bags of stuff... :)

jump in a cab... they fly past that store at very frequent intervals..

i've stayed around that area before, and it's just awful, but that is my opinion.

M
  • M4RKM
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    becky_rtw wrote: »
    Secretly I think I must be such a man - I cant think of anything worse than going on holiday to such a great place as NY to shop *eeeek* but then I did spend two of the mornings I was there running round central park in sub zero temperatures so I guess I'm weird too :D

No.. going to NYC just to go shopping IMO is rather sad.. doing something like running around central park.. well that is actually kinda fun, as you're getting to see something more cultural, than just the inside of a shop...
  • phatbear
    phatbear Posts: 4,032 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    For me its all about finding the happy medium, I dont mind shopping and it makes me feel like the holiday has been a bargain if i get a few bits which would have cost me poop loads more back in the UK, so its kinda moneysaving.

However I always try and make sure that on the way to and from the shops we go via somewhere and see something we havent seen before, sure it means a bit of a yomp but what the heck it helps burn off some calories, my favourite memory of this was stumbling into bryant park loaded up with shopping bags to watch the NY Yankess on a huge screen in the park, seems like such a long time ago now.

I know the subway is the way 4ward and the choice for most as a mass transit system but on our last visit I discovered the wonder of their bus system, I hadnt realised until that point that our 7 day metro card could be used on the buses too, sure they are'nt as fast as subways but at least you actually get to see the city, and if you pass something you fancy the look of you can always get off at the next stop and walk back.

Anyway we've got 7 months till our next return and we're just hoping that the dollar does us a favour by then, does anyone know what it will be in aug??? (just kidding). Enough of my ramblings things to do.

The Bear
    Live each day like its your last because one day you'll be right
  • becky_rtw
    becky_rtw Posts: 8,389 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I love Bryant Park Phat - its one of my favourite places - shame I didnt get to skate there this time - its great in the spring/summer apparently :D

I do go into shops by the way - I spent more money in Dylan's than I did on anything else the whole trip ;), I just dont get shopping for more than a morning - but then I dont have any money to spend so I guess thats half the fun gone :D
  • northernlass_2
    Options
    Ive just been reading you travel guide marky "booking a NTC holiday" and thought i would check out Jet2 and flyglobespan for prices but it seems that they dont fly to NYC anymore, could it be im not looking correctly (this wouldnt suprise me). If they dont you have any other sites to check out for flights.
    thanks
    MarkyMoo
    DFW red and green member
    Doing my best to lose weight and save money
  • Quassi75
    Quassi75 Posts: 205 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Just got my hotel sorted. Booked the Marriott Times Square. $89 + tax per night.. :):)
    Debt free from January 2019 - Paid off £31,161.70 in 7 years.
    10 year anniversary
  • LouBlue
    LouBlue Posts: 53,538 Forumite
    Options
    becky_rtw wrote: »
    Secretly I think I must be such a man - I cant think of anything worse than going on holiday to such a great place as NY to shop *eeeek*

I must be such a man as well then, so much to see and do, don't want to waste hardly any time trawling round shops! :D
    A cloudy day is no match for a sunny disposition
    ~ William Arthur Ward ~
  • M4RKM
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    kdowner wrote: »
    Just got my hotel sorted. Booked the Marriott Times Square. $89 + tax per night.. :):)

bargain... shame it is in times square!!

$103 a night including tax..

M

P.S long time people on this thread know my personal opinion is that i actually hate times square, because there is nothing of substance there worth visiting...

it's good for a photo op, but other than that, it's just a tourist trap..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure