PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Food drying - Dehydrators (merged)

Options

Comments

• moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Oooh I feel some experiments coming on :D
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
  • HOLsale
    HOLsale Posts: 1,231 Forumite
    Options
    Hi HOL - youv'e given us all some ideas, what are your opinions on mixing onion and chillies etc in the same drying batch as apples?

if you try it i'd put the onions and chillis in the top layers perhaps with an empty tray between them and the apples in the lower trays

you could just do a trial run with half a tray of apples but full trays of onions and chillis

the onions and chilli's certainly won't be ruined by the apple but if the apple is ruined by them at least you haven't wasted much
    founder of Frugal Genius UK (Yahoo Groups)
  • HOLsale
    Options
    moggins wrote:
    Oooh I feel some experiments coming on :D

that's the spirit!

you'll find all sorts of lovely things to try...

i really DO recommend that mary bell food dehydrator cook book, it is great for inspiring you to try new things and there's so much you can manage that you'd never think of

appearantly you can dry salad dressing and stuff :confused:

could be useful if you get some you don't really like or a clearance deal. then you can use it as seasoning, perhaps on your own veggie crisps ;)

dried gherkins are another suggestion, they're really nice too!
  • Trow
    Trow Posts: 2,298 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    HOLsale wrote:
    the onions and chilli's certainly won't be ruined by the apple but if the apple is ruined by them at least you haven't wasted much

I would say if the apple is 'ruined' you could always pop it into curry or chilli... maybe not traditional, but so what!!

Just a thought...
  • HOLsale
    Options
    good point trow!

:T
  • HOLsale
    Options
    HOLsale wrote:
    good point trow!

:T

oh, by the way AT dried chilli's will be much hotter than their fresh counterparts so you may wish to take that into consideration before eating them :eek:
  • astep70uk
    astep70uk Posts: 338 Forumite
    Options
    Does anyone know where I can get one of these? The Tchibo site is sold out and I don't have any of these shops near me
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Try using the shopping comparison sites in the blue bar at the top of the page. (kelkoo, pricerunner, and dealtime). They'll not only give you prices in however many different stores stock them - but by using those links you help MSE too :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • allIcouldwishfor
    Options
    Gutted I missed out on the Tchibo food dryer, now that I have read this thread I have to have one!!!! Life's just not going to be the same now that I know there is a great appliance that I don't have!!!

Can't seem to find them anywhere else for anything like that price. Does anyone know of any others for less than about £50?
    I like cooking with wine......sometimes I even put it in the food!
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Try using the shopping comparison sites in the blue bar at the top of the page. (kelkoo, pricerunner, and dealtime). They'll not only give you prices in however many different stores stock them - but by using those links you help MSE too :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family