PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Food drying - Dehydrators (merged)

Options

Comments

• halloweenqueen_2
    Options
    Got my peppers dried!! hee hee!!
    What next.....
  • moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yippee!!!! Mines finally arrived :D
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
  • halloweenqueen_2
    Options
    You're away moggins!
  • moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I am, it's all unpacked and just about ready to turn on for it's first 30 minutes.

One very silly question I couldn't find the answer for, does anyone know if the drying trays can go in the dishwasher?
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
  • HOLsale
    HOLsale Posts: 1,231 Forumite
    Options
    .........and can you make HM "Sundried tomatoes" as well??

my experience with sundried tomatoes didn't work so well but i think i left them in too long

you may want to get either or both of these books, i have them both and they are brilliant for the dehydrator neither of these are affiliate links by the way, though i ought to get a kickback for all the books i recommend on amazon :p

mary bell's complete dehydrator cookbook
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0688130240/qid%3D1138736054/202-7707044-9247812

just jerky the complete guide to making it mary bell
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0965357201/qid%3D1138736133/202-7707044-9247812

the jerky book is really good because it gives so many different kinds and even has a few recipes for vegetarian jerky!

in the cookbook she gives recipes made from the dehydrated stuff including recipes for when you're camping

good stuff
    founder of Frugal Genius UK (Yahoo Groups)
  • HOLsale
    Options
    I left them for 6 hours, they were a bit browner than bought ones but not as rubbery

try 5 hours then, they should be leathery and slightly crisp, if they are browning then they've been cooked too long just think, they'll be even better next time!
  • HOLsale
    Options
    just remembered one i did

i took mince and marinated it in soy, balsamic vinegar and some of my homemade veggies seasoning.

i left it overnight then the next day i made small round flat patties and dehydrated them

now, the dehydrator puts off enough heat to keep them from going off and they do get cooked, plus the vinegar helps

anyway they are gorgeous! you eat them when they look done, after about 4-5 hours if i remember correctly. they will be chewy but they are heavenly!
  • HOLsale
    Options
    Got my peppers dried!! hee hee!!
    What next.....

use a food processor, coffee grinder or mortar and pestle to grind them up

sprinkle on food mmmmmmmmm
  • HOLsale
    Options
    moggins wrote:
    I am, it's all unpacked and just about ready to turn on for it's first 30 minutes.

One very silly question I couldn't find the answer for, does anyone know if the drying trays can go in the dishwasher?

i wouldn't

they are a bit fragile, especially the lid

better to let them soak then give a light scrub with a scrub brush (gentle pressure)
  • apprentice_tycoon
    Options
    Hi HOL - youv'e given us all some ideas, what are your opinions on mixing onion and chillies etc in the same drying batch as apples?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport