PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Food drying - Dehydrators (merged)

Options
1848586878890»

Comments

• milasavesmoney
    milasavesmoney Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I hope to learn about dehydrating this year. In the past I have over dried things and now I've decided I actually need to use my books as guides.
    Overprepare, then go with the flow.
    [Regina Brett]
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,374 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I haven't really used my dehydrator much, we bought a second tall freezer for the allotment produce and DH makes the apples, blackberries & any spare strawberries into wine :)

Am thinking of growing beetroot purely to dehydrate this year,they are so nice as crisps!
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • Living_proof
    Options
    Cold thread alert! It's been a number of years since this was discussed and I have a specific question for all you MSE dehydraters. I am planning to dehydrate some of the really cheap seasonal veg this year and will probably grate the carrot and parsnip for speed of drying. How about Brussels sprouts? I am tempted to slice them and then use them in veggie casseroles, but do others have other means to dry and subsequently use please? I am Vegan so do eat a whole lot of veg!
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    [SIZE Givenergy 9.5 battery added July 23
    [/SIZE]
  • pattypan4
    Options
    I didn`t like dehydrated food. Chucked my excalibur out, waste of space
  • srn
    srn Posts: 116 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    My favourite, in fact the only, thing that I dehydrate is tomatoes. I dehydrate them until they are crisp then powder them and use in place of tomato puree in fact I add a bit to any gravy or casserole type dish. Makes everything taste wonderful and no heartburn which I get with other processed tomato products.
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    My dehydrator heater broke, didn't know how to mend it and thought calling out an electrician would not be cost effective. Did think to put in a cheap rectangle type fan heater .
    Freezing is a lot cheaper and quicker.
  • thriftwizard
    Options
    Well, I love mine, a L'Equipe which I've had for a long time, and use it a lot. But I have to say, I've never even thought of dehydrating Brussels sprouts, so can't help. Carrot & parsnip, sliced finely, make lovely crispy snacks, as does courgette, but the last few things I've dried have been mushrooms (£3 for a whole tray, absolutely fresh) pineapple (2 for £1) and perfectly ripe mango (3 for £1) The mushrooms get used up in all sorts of savoury dishes, but the pineapple & mango get eaten up as snacks, along with our own HG apples.

I do freeze stuff too, but I like knowing that we have nice stuff in store to eat that doesn't depend on an uninterrupted electricity supply.
    Angie - GC June 24: £341.07/£420: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 15/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • Living_proof
    Options
    The great thing about dehydrated food is that it is very light and takes up hardly any space. I grow quite a bit of food and can't always guarantee to have the freezer space when the crop is ready, so drying is very convenient. Today I was lucky enough to get a £1.50 waste not box in Lidl and some of that will be dried and used later in a smoothie. I managed to dry and powder about five pumpkins this year and the result didn't even fill a kilner jar. I can then make a pumpkin pie if the mood takes me, or add extra nutrient to a veg curry or casserole.
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    [SIZE Givenergy 9.5 battery added July 23
    [/SIZE]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills