IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Parking Ticket Appeals article discussion

Options

Comments

• Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 133,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 3 November 2010 at 1:29AM
    Options
    Keep on appealing, have you had a Notice to Owner yet? That's your formal chance to appeal, then it's the adjudicator/PATAS. No risk to you at all but the possibility (if you lose) of being told to pay the fine, no costs or anything. Got to be worth appealing any Council PCN I think.

Councils refuse until they realise people are prepared to go to the adjudicator, then they fold. Scamden are famous on pepipoo for it.

Let us know when you win. :D
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • IanChidd
    Options
    Can anyone advise? Yesterday I went to Totton and left the car to get a "free" ticket to display as I went to the shop.
    I got there at 1140; have a ticket timed 1145 (obtained after putting away my sat nav and queuing for a ticket). When I got back to the car I had a pcn timed at 1141. This is for £100 or £70 if paid within 7 days!
    I did my shopping and have a receipt timed at 1153.
    I was going to appeal and send a copy of all of this but in looking around it would appear that these guys are sharks and that the PCN is unenforceable. The company is Premier Parking Solutions.
    Do I send off an appeal or just sit tight? I sort of want to send an appeal to cover myself but the advice seems to be to just ignore!
    Cheers!!
  • peter_the_piper
    Options
    IanChidd wrote: »
    Can anyone advise? Yesterday I went to Totton and left the car to get a "free" ticket to display as I went to the shop.
    I got there at 1140; have a ticket timed 1145 (obtained after putting away my sat nav and queuing for a ticket). When I got back to the car I had a pcn timed at 1141. This is for £100 or £70 if paid within 7 days!
    I did my shopping and have a receipt timed at 1153.
    I was going to appeal and send a copy of all of this but in looking around it would appear that these guys are sharks and that the PCN is unenforceable. The company is Premier Parking Solutions.
    Do I send off an appeal or just sit tight? I sort of want to send an appeal to cover myself but the advice seems to be to just ignore!
    Cheers!!
    If you contact them they'll take longer till they give up. Just ignore them, ignore them a bit more and then you can ignore them completely. They will give up after about 5 attempts at threatening you.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • Omarbeno
    Omarbeno Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 6 November 2010 at 2:15AM
    Options
    Recently my mother-inlaw has returned to her car and found a parking fine stuck to her windscreen, the ticket she had bought was on the passenger side of the dashboard and upside down.
    Now this is not where my mother-inlaw put it and even made sure it was the right way up since she had been fined previously due to the ticket not being displayed properly.
    So from her getting out of her car and closing the door the wind must of caught the flimsy non-sticky type ticket and blown it across the dashboard.
    The County Council canceled the first fine once my mother-inlaw had proven her ticket was valid at the time of the offence, but refuse to do so this second time.
    My gripe is how many more people have left their car knowing the ticket is upright and plainly visible, only to have left the car windows slightly down or another way which allows a gust of wind to throw the ticket across the dashboard into obscurity? perhaps a single parent displays the ticket correctly but as he/she gets the kids out of the back the winds sends the ticket flying.
    How do bikers adhere these non-sticky type tickets to their bikes? I have read here of people putting them into second tax disc holders but does every biker have a spare?
    At 70 years old my mother-inlaw is now very upset since she did the right thing and displayed the ticket correctly, but was unaware the wind had caught her ticket as she closed the door. Now she faces the frightening prospect of having to go to court to clear her name or pay the £25 fine which she feels is unjust because her ticket valid.
    In my book EXTORTION is to obtain (money usually) by force, threats or intimidation...
    The threat of pay us £25 or go to court is very intimidating to my mother-inlaw and she is very worried over this.
    The County Council who serve us (We do not serve them!) should, once someone has proven their ticket was valid at the time, cancel the fine.
    The ticket has a serial code on both sides and is visible in the photgraph, this matches the ticket my mother-inlaw still has so she can prove it was valid.

The ticket has advertising space for rent on the reverse and wondered if anyone had a good idea for using this space to get back at the County Council.

/rant off.
  • esmerobbo
    esmerobbo Posts: 4,979 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    In my opinion all these types of ticket should be of the sticky variety. I would be interested to see how much revenue your council have earned from incorrectly displayed tickets?

Cant really help you in relation to any further appeals. However I carry a small bulldog clip in my car and if I get a non sticky ticket I clip it in the clip and that keeps it well and truly where I placed it.
  • taffy056
    taffy056 Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    Options
    She does not go to court to appeal this ticket, she goes to the adjudicator, what youneed to do is go to http://www.pepipoo.com, and create a new thread there, scan then upload your parking ticket to tinypic minus details that can identify your mil, take photos of the signs and do the same.

They will help you appeal, good luck!
    Excel Parking, MET Parking, Combined Parking Solutions, VP Parking Solutions, ANPR PC Ltd, & Roxburghe Debt Collectors. What do they all have in common?
    They are all or have been suspended from accessing the DVLA database for gross misconduct!
    Do you really need to ask what kind of people run parking companies?
  • Neil_B
    Neil_B Posts: 1,360 Forumite
    Options
    Pokka wrote: »

The Council have provided CEO notes that don't contain time check detail & have sent me CEO procedures for time sync & checks of p&d machines etc, but nothing to show that these were done in relation to my pcn... They are asking me to trust their procedures and i definitely dont. What to do? Peepipoo members have advised to wait for the notice letter... so thats what i'm doing at the moment.

That's the bit that doesn't seem to sink in for BLT -- whose 'money saving' advice is pay?

If Councils don't follow good practice in checking sync then they simply lose at Adjudication. It's your money -- but Pep know what they are doing!
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 133,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Omarbeno wrote: »
    Recently my mother-inlaw has returned to her car and found a parking fine stuck to her windscreen, the ticket she had bought was on the passenger side of the dashboard and upside down...

I vaguely recalled reading a Parking Adjudicators' Annual Report which went into detail about sticky tickets, so I've searched and found it here:

http://www.manchester.gov.uk/egov_do...eport_2006.pdf

Reading the comments on there headed 'the requirement continuously to display', 'sticky tickets' and - further down - 'the Council's discretion to cancel the PCN' I think you have two lines of argument.

The first thing will be to view a copy of the Parking Places Order for that car park and see what the Order says about whether you have to just 'display' or whether the onus is on the motorist to continuously display. Read first, what the link above says about that under 'the requirement continuously to display'. I skim-read it and it's clear that cases have turned upon the wording of individual Orders.

You can see 'your' Order just by asking in person or emailing - you don't have to say why you want to see this as it's a public document and they have to make it available without undue delay.

Your second line of argument is the stickiness of the ticket was inadequate, making it not fit for purpose. You paid for it, you produced a copy of that ticket at informal appeal, but the lack of stickiness caused it to fall down (through no fault of your own). If you read the 'sticky tickets' part of the link, you'll see that if the Council don't address an appeal calling into question the suitability of the sticky glue used then adjudicators have found in motorists' favour.

Keep the actual ticket and send them a copy only. IMHO they don't need to see the actual ticket to reply about the adequacy of the glue used as it will be standard for all tickets from that machine.

And by the way you don't go to Court if the parking in your area is decriminalised, you just go to an adjudicator (just an informal discussion, a Mum at school has won 3 out of 3 of her appeals to an adjudicator and said it's nothing to worry about if you prepare a good case).

You also only ever risk paying the full non-discounted fine - no costs or anything - so I would appeal ANY Council parking ticket to the adjudicator even if I thought they had caught me bang to rights. Why would anyone not bother?

HTH
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • parishspinster
    Options
    I visited my 94 year old mother and parked in the parking soace designated for her visitors. I displayed the Visitors permit and her Disability sticker. though I imagine the Disability sticker is irrelevant to this issue. I received a penalty notice from Euro Car Parks which states I parked in Permit Holders Car Park and am ordered to pay 70 pounds. The permit we own is 9 months out of date. We have tried to get this permit replaced but were told not to bother about it and that the permit we had was good enough even though it was out of date. The fact that it is out of date however is not mentioned on the ticket, just that I am parked illegally in Permits Holders Car Park. Where do these people imagine I have acted illegally? i can only imagine seeing the Disability Sticker they have thought they might be able to push some old people around and obtain some revenue. It seems outrageous to me that I could be issued with this charge when I am clearly displaying a permit on my windscreen. DO i write to these people with a photo copy of the permit or do I ignore it?. The whole thing is so stressful
    Thanks in advance for any advice anyone can give me.
  • trisontana
    trisontana Posts: 9,472 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I visited my 94 year old mother and parked in the parking soace designated for her visitors. I displayed the Visitors permit and her Disability sticker. though I imagine the Disability sticker is irrelevant to this issue. I received a penalty notice from Euro Car Parks which states I parked in Permit Holders Car Park and am ordered to pay 70 pounds. The permit we own is 9 months out of date. We have tried to get this permit replaced but were told not to bother about it and that the permit we had was good enough even though it was out of date. The fact that it is out of date however is not mentioned on the ticket, just that I am parked illegally in Permits Holders Car Park. Where do these people imagine I have acted illegally? i can only imagine seeing the Disability Sticker they have thought they might be able to push some old people around and obtain some revenue. It seems outrageous to me that I could be issued with this charge when I am clearly displaying a permit on my windscreen. DO i write to these people with a photo copy of the permit or do I ignore it?. The whole thing is so stressful
    Thanks in advance for any advice anyone can give me.

If this is a private car-park, and not one owned by a council, then you do not owe a penny. No law was broken so no "illegal" action took place. As for Euro, they admittance in a recent newspaper article that they never take anyone to court because they know they would not win.

So, from now on do not contact the company and ignore any correspondent from them
    What part of "A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boo" don't you understand?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport