Family Fund

Options

Comments

• Lentilsforteaagain
    Options
    Wow, I've found this thread at a good time because I've just been weighing up whether or not to apply to the family fund and you've made my mind up!

My youngest boy is almost 4 and has Spinal Muscular Atrophy. It's really hard to know what to apply for though - I'd really like to ask them for a holiday to treat my eldest 4 children, aswell as the youngest, because they all help out so much both with jobs around the house and with helping him out.

From a practical point of view though, we do need a washing machine/dryer. I've also heard of people having laptops supplied by them which would be a godsend for my little boy because he has a really high IQ (part of his condition strangely enough) but trapped in a very weak body.

Any ideas about what it would be best to apply for? I know you can apply for a few items but I just worry about asking for too much and looking greedy! They sound like a wonderful charity and they've obviously help out so many people but I can't help but feel a little awkward about asking for stuff. .. do you know what I mean or is it just me :confused:
    Learning how to save money with 5 little ones ... help!! :p
  • money_grabber
    Options
    my son has disabilities and life can be very stressful, would be huge help to recieve but feel like could be depriving those worse off by getting anything, but on the other hand its there for a reason and if it will help your family then why not if you are entitled.:confused:
  • cheap_charlie
    Options
    I think from what I have read about the Family Fund that you get the largest award on your first claim, so my advice would be to claim for a holiday, washer/dryer and laptop - you might not get all three but you may well get two items.

I had the lady round today from the Family Fund and she was really nice - she took the time to listen to me and saw my daughter (who wasn't on her best behaviour either) and chatted with her a little.

She told me I would learn their decision within 4 weeks so I now just have to wait. As I have been waiting since May (which isn't the norm!) I guess 4 weeks won't kill me!
    Sealed Pot Challenge 2010 - member 402 :)

• shazrobo
    shazrobo Posts: 3,313 Forumite
    Options
    i didnt have anybody come and see me, just chatted to them on the phone and filled in an application form, got the holiday vouchers in the post this morning, to enable me to take both disabled sons on holiday
    enjoy life, we only get one chance at it:)
  • sexykellylovespink
    Options
    i have had family fund for a few years, i recieved a letter yesterday saying we had been awarded £650 in thomas cook vouchers towards a holiday for my sons, family fund are a brilliant charity and do a great job for children with dissabilites:A
    :xmastree::xmassign::rudolf::xmastree:
  • sexykellylovespink
    Options
    also a few years ago i had a home visit from them and the lady was wonderful, so anybody expecting a home visit............do not worry x
    :xmastree::xmassign::rudolf::xmastree:
  • angelheart
    Options
    Hi everyone,

has anyone ever applied for a blind child. I would like to take my son on holiday. Any advice would be appreciated

thanks
    back to comping :beer:
  • Melc234
    Melc234 Posts: 55 Forumite
    Options
    hi Angelheart you should apply, form is simple to fill in. Some people have home visits other a telephone call, either way there really nice. First award is usually the largest.
  • kazzah
    kazzah Posts: 460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I successfully applied to the family fund in 1994 and was awarded driving lessons which meant that instead of asking my disabled Mum to run me to the MANY appointments my two disabeld children had every week whilst my husband was out working, I was able to take them myself - no money exchanged hands - at that time they simply got BSM to contact you with a specified number of lessons for you to take- for all you and I know, BSM may have DONATED that teaching time to the Family Fund.
    Until you have tried to transport an Autistic 3 year old who can't walk and a child with a physical disability which affects their mobility to 3 or 4 appointments per week on 2 or 3 buses - PLEASE don't moan about people getting these services.
    your child has to be SEVERELY disabled in order to qualify for help from the Family Fund and they have STRICT financial criteria that people have to meet- so it's nto as if you just phone and get help
    we were lucky enough to get hlep until my eldest son was 15 - the joy of being able to take him away to a caravan for one week a year and not have to worry about meeting the cost will stay with our family for ever.
    I have been unable to return to paid work since my children were born - their care needs were too great -so our finances have been severely affected by having 2 disabeld children and the Family Fund was a lifelline to us.

• tiannaleigh
    Options
    Hi ,does anybody know if you have to wait untill you have sorted out claiming benifits for your child before you can apply,
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure