any idea when the new rules for claiming benefits start?????

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Oldernotwiser
    Options
    flufff wrote: »

my eldest is special needs so I'm classed as a carer.Despite the fact I'm at uni part time bettering myself they still wanted to force me into work.

No they don't! Parents of disabled children will be exempt from the changes.
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    Are they going to force women in relationships back into work when their kids are 12?

Why should the state support them? After all they have a partner to do that unlike single parents who usually have gone through hell and back.

I'm divorced,had an abusive ex, my eldest is special needs so I'm classed as a carer.Despite the fact I'm at uni part time bettering myself they still wanted to force me into work.

Maybe I should just have a break down or drop dead from all the stress.

The state will only support a woman in a relationship in so far as they are entitled to means tested benefits as a couple. I don't really understand your point?
    Gone ... or have I?
  • bestpud
    bestpud Posts: 11,048 Forumite
    Options
    Are they going to force women in relationships back into work when their kids are 12?

Why should the state support them? After all they have a partner to do that unlike single parents who usually have gone through hell and back.

I'm divorced,had an abusive ex, my eldest is special needs so I'm classed as a carer.Despite the fact I'm at uni part time bettering myself they still wanted to force me into work.

Maybe I should just have a break down or drop dead from all the stress.

As far as I am aware they are going to target families where both parents are out of work too, and rightly so.

If one partner is working, then the state is not supporting them is it? Tax credits maybe, but then many single parents who return to work will be relying heavily on tax credits?

As said, it won't affect you anyway.
  • nissan25
    Options
    If all us hardworking taxpayers had the "Wont work" attitude - there would be no benefit system at all, simply because there would be none of our taxes to pay for it.

To put it bluntly - the government have not gone far enough. You should have had to contribute into the system before being permitted to draw out of it. (With exceptions of course to the disabled etc)

This way this country would not be such a magnet for lone parents, asylum seekers etc. At least small steps are being taken in the right direction and hopefully down the line the system is really in place for genuine claimants and not spongers.
  • lukieboy96
    Options
    Why doesn't everyone stop attacking single parents for not working!!

What about other people. Is it only single parents, NO, but you make it sound like it!

Yes, i am a single parent and my son is now 12. Yes, i worked until 2 years ago when i became ill and was told not to work at the moment. Why should i not receive benefits when i have paid taxes all my working life (i am 43) I am not ashamed to be on benefits at the moment and i have spoken to my son about it as all he hears on the news is 'single parents on benefit! Do you not think of the impact it has on the children?

By the way, i would not like to like to leave my son on his own for long.

You know what we will have next? People complaining about 'children of single parents!!!'

Also, is the government going to sort out childcare for all the people of younger children when they force them back to work? Childminders are leaving because of the fact they have made it more of a 'nursery' than a 'home' environment!! I have worked in childcare all my life.

Let children be children, play and be loved.

I am not saying they should not work but mention others too.
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    lukieboy96 wrote: »

Not everyone is attacking, unfortunately those that are tend to shout quite loudly! ;)

This thread really should not be on the Benefits board. If a new poster was to come here for help and find this, they are likely to run in the opposite direction without the assistance that they need.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • krisskross
    krisskross Posts: 7,677 Forumite
    Options

What about other people. Is it only single parents, NO, but you make it sound like it!

Yes, i am a single parent and my son is now 12. Yes, i worked until 2 years ago when i became ill and was told not to work at the moment. Why should i not receive benefits when i have paid taxes all my working life (i am 43) I am not ashamed to be on benefits at the moment and i have spoken to my son about it as all he hears on the news is 'single parents on benefit! Do you not think of the impact it has on the children?

You know what we will have next? People complaining about 'children of single parents!!!'

Also, is the government going to sort out childcare for all the people of younger children when they force them back to work? Childminders are leaving because of the fact they have made it more of a 'nursery' than a 'home' environment!! I have worked in childcare all my life.

Why should the government have to sort out childcare? Isn't it enough that most of the cost is met for single parents who work? Parents really should take responsibility for supporting their own children. and that means BOTH parents, unless of course there has been a death of 1 parent.

However you are saying that you have worked until fairly recently so unless you became too ill to work and a lone parent at the same time you know that working as a lone parent is very possible.

BTW we do not pay in to NI and taxes so we can say we are 'entitled'. At a rough estimate I expect you have been in receipt of approx £15K a year when housing costs etc are taken into consideration. Unless you were in a high paying job for all your working years then I expect you have had a lot of it back by now. Tax and insurance are not just to pay benefits, there is the NHS,education, armed forces etc.

Like any other sort of insurance NI relies on most of us just swelling the coffers and never taking out.
  • bestpud
    bestpud Posts: 11,048 Forumite
    Options

If you managed to work with a young child, up until the time you became ill, why can't others? :confused:

Like you say, the media has picked up on the single parent benefit changes and so this site is simply reflecting current issues.

FWIW, I am wary of the child age being reduced below 10 unless childcare facilities are improved alongside it. I see no problem with childcare per se though as many two parent families have to use it but I realise it may be more difficult for single parents who are manual workers as they often have to do shifts and weekends etc. But I guess that is why they only need to do 16 hours?

As for the changes: It is a fact that single parents were the one group with an automatic right to full benefits until their children were very near adults and that is why they have been targeted.

Yes there are the die hard unemployed out there but they do at least have to justify their need for benefit and sign on etc, albeit they are not pressured enough.

Plus there are people who cannot work but they also have to keep reapplying for their benefit; it is not a given as it is for single parents.

The benefits bubble is fit to burst and radical changes are well overdue. Single parents cannot expect to be the only group left alone, any more than they should expect to be the only one targeted!

If you are ill then it will not apply to you anyway, quite rightly. Most on here agree we need a welfare state and would not dream of suggesting those who cannot work should be left without support. But some have different opinions when it comes to people who can work, including single parents.
  • lukieboy96
    Options
    This thread really isn't for this. But i will say i am not saying the government is reaponsible for childcare. What i am saying is that if more people go to work with children then you will need more childcare. If there is not enough childcare they cannot go to work!! I know for a fact childminders are leaving. Where is all this extra childcare going to come from.

Sorry not going to say anynore just wanted to give my side.

I worked as a nanny. Then, when my son was older i worked in a nursery and he went to a childminder!! But he was older!
  • john539
    john539 Posts: 16,966 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    uolypool wrote: »
    Hi anyone know when the new rule of everyone needs to do something in return for your benefit is starting.I get income support as a single mum and whilst i have absolutely no objections to working i do feel that this is going to incourage what i was whilst growing up a latch key teenager thats the last thing i want for my teenage sons and daughter
    There aren't any new rules, it will be discussed in next session of parliament, may come in few years time.

It will take massive organisation if it ever comes in.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure