any idea when the new rules for claiming benefits start?????

Options

Comments

• hitchins
    Options
    I fully agree with the government's proposal, BUT, it's going to be the honest people who suffer, instead of the people it's targeted at i.e. the "can't be @rsed - won't work" mind set!
    :heart2:Baby boy due 4th March 2011:heart2:
  • DaisyFlower
    Options
    hitchins wrote: »
    I fully agree with the government's proposal, BUT, it's going to be the honest people who suffer, instead of the people it's targeted at i.e. the "can't be @rsed - won't work" mind set!

I think its quite well aimed tbh, parents who want to work will already be doing so, those being targetted first are those with teenagers who have had years to look for work but havent. Even at its lowest point of age 7, thats still 2-3 years of full time school where people still dont have to work.

Children should grow up with a strong work ethic rather than generation after generation living on state handouts.
  • hellypelly
    Options
    I am a parent of 4 children aged 14 12 9 7 but luckily am not a lone parent so the new rules will not affect me as my partner works and supports us but i still want to find a p/t job.
    so I went to my local job center and got chatting to a young single mum with 3 children similar ages to mine she had been pulled in for an interview to help her get back to work, she wanted to look for a job and had been doing so whilst waiting and had 4 jobs printed off ...
    she got called over to an adviser and I sort off listened in to her interview (smack for being nosy*) whilst i was wating for an adviser they done a breakdown for her with the best paid job doing 26 hours mon-fri it worked out for her she would be 3.50p better off!!!! so I can partly understand why most of the single mums don't want to get a job!! I understand that working does give you a sense of pride but does that realy help you when you are working all week and looking after children, cooking cleaning all on your own with no support?
    I know I personaly could not cope at all
    (partner gets a special tea tonight for looking after us )
    so I can sort of see where some of these mums are coming from.
    helen.
    2010 challenge A.B.C.D.[STRIKE]E.[/STRIKE]F.G.H.I.J.[STRIKE]K[/STRIKE].L.M.N.O.P.Q.[STRIKE]R[/STRIKE].S.T.U.V.W.X.Y.Z
    Best of luck everyone!
    I have also gone for platinum in the presents challenge.2/15
  • welshmoneylover
    Options
    I'm a single parent and working and proud of it. :D

I went back to work p/t when eldest was 13 and youngest was 10. Eldest one looked after his two younger siblings and they were chuffed as chips as it meant they could watch whatever they wanted on the tv without me there! Especially when I worked weekends.

BTW, they have grown up into very sensible teenagers and have become accustomed to being in the house on their house.

Eldest is now looking very hard (bless him in this climate) for a p/t job while doing his a-levels. He has learned a good work ethic from his mam, that if you want nice fine things in life you have to work for them yourself and you gain a great sense of self satisfaction & achievement.

Sue x
    Be happy, it's the greatest wealth :)
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options
    hellypelly wrote: »
    whilst i was wating for an adviser they done a breakdown for her with the best paid job doing 26 hours mon-fri it worked out for her she would be 3.50p better off!!!! so I can partly understand why most of the single mums don't want to get a job!! I understand that working does give you a sense of pride but does that realy help you when you are working all week and looking after children, cooking cleaning all on your own with no support?

That's the attitude that's being tackled at the moment, thank goodness.

What you're missing from the equation is the negative effect on the children's attitudes because of coming from a non working household and the difficulty this young woman will have in finding work in a few years when her children are older and she HAS to go to work. School age children are out of the house for around 30 hours a week which would allow plenty of time to do this job.

Does anybody actually need this amount of time for cooking and cleaning - you'd think she'd be bored stiff, stuck at home all day!
  • sexki11en
    sexki11en Posts: 1,286 Forumite
    Options
    hellypelly wrote: »
    they done a breakdown for her with the best paid job doing 26 hours mon-fri it worked out for her she would be 3.50p better off!!!! so I can partly understand why most of the single mums don't want to get a job!! I understand that working does give you a sense of pride but does that realy help you when you are working all week and looking after children, cooking cleaning all on your own with no support?

Screw that! The rest of us have to work for a damn living, most of us FULL time getting no help at all and STILL cook, clean and look after our families whilst giving a large portion of our salary to those who do !!!! all but sit on their !!!!!! all day!

I'm sorry (actually i'm not, at all) but WHY exactly should WE struggle, working hard to support ourselves, our families AND the scroungers who quite frankly just can't be arsed and have sat on their !!!!!! for 10 years plus???

When I have children (and we fully plan to start trying next year after the wedding) I will HAVE to go back to work after the statutory maternity period. Even though I have paid into the damn system for over 13 years, taking nothing back - not a penny, I will be entitled to !!!!!! all. How is that fair? But you know what - it's MY choice to have kids - why should someone else pay for MY choice?

Too much !!!!! footing around if you ask me. It's just pure laziness and excuses. I'm GLAD the government are finally putting their foot down. And you know what? As someone who has (unvoluntarily) supported these scroungers for 13 years, I have a right to this opinion who cares if i've offended the scroungers? When they get off their backsides and do an honest days work and given part of their hard earned money to wasters - THEN and only then will they be entitled to a response.

Harsh - But SO true!

SK x
    After 4 years of heartache, 3 rounds of IVF and 1 loss :A - we are finally expecting our miracle Ki11en - May 2014 :j

And a VERY surprise miracle in March 2017!
  • sexki11en wrote: »
    Screw that! The rest of us have to work for a damn living, most of us FULL time getting no help at all and STILL cook, clean and look after our families whilst giving a large portion of our salary to those who do !!!! all but sit on their !!!!!! all day!

I'm sorry (actually i'm not, at all) but WHY exactly should WE struggle, working hard to support ourselves, our families AND the scroungers who quite frankly just can't be arsed and have sat on their !!!!!! for 10 years plus???

When I have children (and we fully plan to start trying next year after the wedding) I will HAVE to go back to work after the statutory maternity period. Even though I have paid into the damn system for over 13 years, taking nothing back - not a penny, I will be entitled to !!!!!! all. How is that fair? But you know what - it's MY choice to have kids - why should someone else pay for MY choice?

Too much !!!!! footing around if you ask me. It's just pure laziness and excuses. I'm GLAD the government are finally putting their foot down. And you know what? As someone who has (unvoluntarily) supported these scroungers for 13 years, I have a right to this opinion who cares if i've offended the scroungers? When they get off their backsides and do an honest days work and given part of their hard earned money to wasters - THEN and only then will they be entitled to a response.

Harsh - But SO true!

SK x
    Can we assume that when you have your baby that you will REFUSE child benefit and tax credits?After all you`d hate it if any of us accused you of scrounging wouldnt you?:mad: :mad: :mad:
  • hitchins
    Options
    I think its quite well aimed tbh, parents who want to work will already be doing so, those being targetted first are those with teenagers who have had years to look for work but havent. Even at its lowest point of age 7, thats still 2-3 years of full time school where people still dont have to work.

Children should grow up with a strong work ethic rather than generation after generation living on state handouts.

Couldn't agree more. ;):T
    :heart2:Baby boy due 4th March 2011:heart2:
  • krisskross
    krisskross Posts: 7,677 Forumite
    Options
    woodbine wrote: »
    Can we assume that when you have your baby that you will REFUSE child benefit and tax credits?After all you`d hate it if any of us accused you of scrounging wouldnt you?:mad: :mad: :mad:

This really is an attempt to muddy the waters. Child Benefit is non means tested and dependent solely on the existence of a child. No doubt G. Brown himself claims it for his 2 sprogs. Tax credits although dependent on income simply replaces the old system of higher personal allowances when children are added to the family.

This thread is about getting people back to work and not allowing them to claim benefits for decades simply because they have children. Yes The parents have the children and should be making an attempt to support them instead of relying on benefits.
  • sexki11en
    sexki11en Posts: 1,286 Forumite
    Options
    woodbine wrote: »

Child benefits and tax credits are one thing (especially after actually paying in to the system) but along with everything else some get and not even trying to find work - that's what gets my goat. Maybe I should have made myself clearer. For that I apologise

SK x
    After 4 years of heartache, 3 rounds of IVF and 1 loss :A - we are finally expecting our miracle Ki11en - May 2014 :j

And a VERY surprise miracle in March 2017!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure