any idea when the new rules for claiming benefits start?????

Options
Hi anyone know when the new rule of everyone needs to do something in return for your benefit is starting.I get income support as a single mum and whilst i have absolutely no objections to working i do feel that this is going to incourage what i was whilst growing up a latch key teenager thats the last thing i want for my teenage sons and daughter
Paul Walker , in my dreams;)

Comments

• Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,551 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think some changes are salready in - you will not be able to remain on IS when your youngest turns 12 and will be moved onto JSA.
    Working part time 16 hours may be the best bet as you will get WTC and may be able to fit around school hours
  • Conor_3
    Conor_3 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Options
    What is wrong with a teenager looking after themselves for a couple of hours tops when they get home from school? It's good practice for them because they're going to have to fend for themselves eventually.

Perhaps you need to start removing some of that cotton wool you're wrapping them up in, they'll benefit from it later.

I would argue that continuing to keep your children living below the breadline is crueller than having teenagers, who should be perfectly capable of fending for themselves, alone for a couple of hours.
  • elektra-2007
    Options
    It all very well having these rules but what about people who would love to go out to work and just cant? I live in a rural area, there is no bus service and i cant afford a car, its 15 miles either way to my nearest town with shops. The only very small local buisnesses around only emply themselves and family. Thank good for home delivery for our shoping so we dont have to rely on the small shops anymore as they were very expensive but the result is they are closing down. At the moment my lad is only 7 but when he gets to about 14 i will happpily leave him on his own for a few hours after school if only i could get to a job to work it, and find one during school hours!
  • uolypool
    uolypool Posts: 1,207 Forumite
    Options
    I do not wrap my kids up in cottonwool thanks connor but would you leave a kid that has just turned 13 on there own everyday even if only for a few hours especially this things like knife crime and stuff like that being so highlghted at the moment. The way i see it is you shouldnt leave a 13 year old on there own at night so you can go out so why leave one to fend for itself any other time morally i think its wrong
    Paul Walker , in my dreams;)
  • bestpud
    bestpud Posts: 11,048 Forumite
    Options
    uolypool wrote: »
    I do not wrap my kids up in cottonwool thanks connor but would you leave a kid that has just turned 13 on there own everyday even if only for a few hours especially this things like knife crime and stuff like that being so highlghted at the moment. The way i see it is you shouldnt leave a 13 year old on there own at night so you can go out so why leave one to fend for itself any other time morally i think its wrong

They should be ok at that age as they will be indoors anyway.

Go through emergency procedures with them and make sure they know not to let people in etc.

My older two would walk home and let themselves in at that age and they went to a rough school, in an even rougher area. But they were fine. They were rarely together and dd got home a lot earlier than ds, as he often went to his mates first.

I suggest trying it now for short periods, so you and they get used to the idea before you have to do it.

BTW, you only need to work 16 hours - could you get a part time job for a few hours a day?
  • mitchaa
    mitchaa Posts: 4,487 Forumite
    Options
    This thread has to be a wind up surely?
  • bestpud
    bestpud Posts: 11,048 Forumite
    Options
    mitchaa wrote: »
    This thread has to be a wind up surely?

I don't know about this poster specifically, but they are presenting the exact same argument single parents up and down the country are presenting so I guess it doesn't hurt to answer it anyway?

There were two single mums on the TV Wednesday morning and that seemed to be their only argument too.

It's bound to happen I guess. Those that want to work probably already are, have been, or are actively looking.

The ones that will moan loudest are parents who had no intention of working until their children were adults and thought they were 'safe' until then imo. Suddenly having to justify the benefits they've been given unquestionably for over 10 years is going to come hard to some of them...

Just my thoughts.
  • mitchaa
    mitchaa Posts: 4,487 Forumite
    Options
    bestpud wrote: »
    I don't know about this poster specifically, but they are presenting the exact same argument single parents up and down the country are presenting so I guess it doesn't hurt to answer it anyway?

There were two single mums on the TV Wednesday morning and that seemed to be their only argument too.

It's bound to happen I guess. Those that want to work probably already are, have been, or are actively looking.

The ones that will moan loudest are parents who had no intention of working until their children were adults and thought they were 'safe' until then imo. Suddenly having to justify the benefits they've been given unquestionably for over 10 years is going to come hard to some of them...

Just my thoughts.

My feelings exactly, you've just put it in a lot nicer context:T

You should not be using teenage children as an excuse, it's a very weak argument.
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options
    It all very well having these rules but what about people who would love to go out to work and just cant? I live in a rural area, there is no bus service and i cant afford a car, its 15 miles either way to my nearest town with shops. !

Many people who can't afford a car when on benefits would be able to do so if they were earning. After all, the idea is to be better off, after all!
  • angie_baby
    angie_baby Posts: 1,640 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    bestpud wrote: »

Just my thoughts.

Your thoughts are bang on! I agree with you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure