any idea when the new rules for claiming benefits start?????

Options

Comments

• DaisyFlower
    DaisyFlower Posts: 2,677 Forumite
    Options
    uolypool wrote: »
    I do not wrap my kids up in cottonwool thanks connor but would you leave a kid that has just turned 13 on there own everyday even if only for a few hours especially this things like knife crime and stuff like that being so highlghted at the moment. The way i see it is you shouldnt leave a 13 year old on there own at night so you can go out so why leave one to fend for itself any other time morally i think its wrong

A 13 year old will be quite safe in a house alone for a few hours after school. Its completely different to leaving them alone all night to go drinking. By the time they have had a snack and done their homework/watched tv mosr parents are home anyway.

Bestpud has it spot on I think. Heard the same excuse on several threads/sites re not working. Not wating a 13 year old to be left alone for a short while is not justification enough to stay on benefits and not work.
  • uolypool
    uolypool Posts: 1,207 Forumite
    Options
    No This Is Not A Wind Up And Its Not Saying That I Dont Want To Work But Thanx 4 All The Comments However Sarcastic Some Are Everyone Is Entitalled To Their Own Opinions !!!!!
    Paul Walker , in my dreams;)
  • uolypool
    Options
    SOo what about a 12 year old is it ok to leave them as well not according to social services who i have just enquired this with and not all chidcare is siutable for a 12 year old or should the 13 year old look after them as well !!!!!?????
  • jorichste
    Options
    I think its a great idea for people to have to work, in many countries if you don't work then you starve and unsurprisingly most people manage to get jobs! I think parents should work, when the children are at school all day what on earth do you do if not working??
  • mitchaa
    mitchaa Posts: 4,487 Forumite
    Options
    No This Is Not A Wind Up And Its Not Saying That I Dont Want To Work But Thanx 4 All The Comments However Sarcastic Some Are Everyone Is Entitalled To Their Own Opinions !!!!!

To be fair the people with these opinions have been supporting your lifestyle for the past x amount of years (x obviously greater than 13)

I think us tax payers get a bit pis**d off with people taking the mickey if you can see where we are coming from.

Can you honestly say you have paid more into the pot than you have taken out?

That is not meant as an insult to you, its just fairs fair. You dont have an argument with children that old.

1 solution open to you is to have another child and get another 7yrs worth free. Unfortunately, i suspect a lot of people will be thinking about this.
  • mitchaa
    Options
    SOo what about a 12 year old is it ok to leave them as well not according to social services who i have just enquired this with and not all chidcare is siutable for a 12 year old or should the 13 year old look after them as well !!!!!?????

People will be booted from IS when their child is 7 in the non too distant future.

12 is adult to 7.

What is wrong with you getting a job 0830-1530 whilst your child is at school? You get financial help through childcare provisions if you have to work a little later/earlier.
  • uolypool
    Options
    mittcha that is not an option for me all my children were born whilst in a what i thought was a permanant relationship i wouldnt have become a single mum by choice !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1but thanx once again all are entitlled to their opinion
  • mitchaa
    Options
    mittcha that is not an option for me all my children were born whilst in a what i thought was a permanant relationship i wouldnt have become a single mum by choice !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1but thanx once again all are entitlled to their opinion

Hence why no insult was intended as i do not know your personal circumstances.

Many women find themselves in the same position as you, but a lot of them just get on with it and have a can can attitude, not a wont wont attitude.

If 1 woman can do it, why not all women?

And that is what the government is probably aiming for here, too many people have taken it easy street. The bubble is bursting, the genuine hard working are being shafted, next in line are the benefit claimants.

Instead of questioning these new rules, you should probably be doing everything in your power to secure employment NOW, rather than later, as it is happening and your benefits WILL be cut.

Sorry, but its reality.

What would you have done, had these new rules not been introduced? I suspect continue claiming until children are adults and then once IS had expired, move over to incapacity benefit and go through life without ever lifting a finger?? I dont know, many people do?
  • krisskross
    krisskross Posts: 7,677 Forumite
    Options

All four of our children were latch key kids from senior school age, so from 11 or 12. We both needed to work to maintain even a fairly basic lifestyle.

Quite frankly if our children had not been capable of getting home from school, getting a snack and looking after themselves for an hour or so we would have felt we had done a very poor parenting job.

For heavens sake it is well within my memory that youngsters left school at 15 and were themselves working full time in an adult environment.
  • angie_baby
    angie_baby Posts: 1,640 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

None of us think we would end up single parents!!! But we do.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure