PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

OS Daily 1st December 2008

Options
Hi, this is the Daily Thread for Monday 1st December. It is is an ‘over the garden fence’ type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone is welcome; please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!
As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or slow internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred.
When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.
Some people who chat here like to try to answer everyone. Don’t feel you have to though, a general “Hi everyone, hope you are all well” type start does just as well.

Morning:xmastree: Back to work day.

We decorated the inside of the house yesterday, so it looks pretty good now. It also means a good paint job needed in the new year as things look pretty grubby when you get up close.

OH is very disapointed this morning as her weeks teaching supply was cancelled. That's a big chunk of money gone. Agency said it would try and find her something else.... Hope so.
My mobile phone charger has busted, and the kids seem to have lost the spare ones, so that's a bit annoying. I will have to buy one in town today.

I think work will be busy by the sounds of it. I have a free Specsaver eye test later and then buy some glasses. My eyesight has deteriorated a bit, so I know I need them for certain tasks, just don't want to spend £100.

Well, better get in the shower... have a good day
NO to pasty tax We won!!!! Just shows that people power works! Don't be apathetic to your cause!

Comments

• bargainbird
    bargainbird Posts: 3,771 Forumite
    Options
    Morning Peeps :santa2:,

How sad is that, I've waiting for the thread to start :rolleyes::o.

A bit chilly here and pitch black so can't say much else.

We've had a good weekend, Saturday xmas food shopping check:T, Sunday Booze and Pressies check:T. DH had kids whilst i went to get there pressies the only downfall being i had to carry bags with no buggy to hang them on :rolleyes:. So had to stop when it got too heavy. Still got a few bargains....:T

Housework and toddler this morning..... just waiting for DD's to wake up so i can start hoovering :T. I've got a sudden burst of energy and have been up since 5am :eek:, so need to make the most of it.

HM spag bol today DH favorite ;), will get it on soon. I'm sure by 2 o'clock i'll crash from exhuastion :D

Hope your all well, have not read any of the weekend threads....:rolleyes:

Soapy - Any joy yet ?

Take care all

xx
    You know your getting old when you
    go to the pub sit outside
    and admire the hanging basket :cool:
    Is officially 48% tight :D
  • Sunnyday
    Sunnyday Posts: 3,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Morning N9eav and all who cross/ follow,

pretty cold one here today although the car didn`t seem to be quite as iced up as yesterday, i scraped it all off in 5 minutes flat. I even got up earlier than usual as the forecast said minus 3 in the night but i dosen`t seem so bad at the moment.

Little jobs have been done before i left home so the dw is on and MrS will empty it before he leaves, i`ve put a dark load in the wm which will be ready to hang up later and the bm finished as i got up.

We shall be having sausage and onion pasta bake for dinner later and i shall be having a jacket spud for lunch at w*rk, we are having jackets at home tomorrow so i`ve fetched them into w*rk wrapped in foil and i`m cooking them altogether to save fuel ;)

I`ve sorted through the ironing pile this morning and have found many things that can be put away without ironing so more fuel/time saved there too :D

I need to give MrS a quick ring to let him know that he will need to make his sandwiches to take with him today so i`ll give you all a wave :wave: and be on my way.
    Have a good day peeps.
    SD
    Planning on starting the GC again soon :p
  • ravylesley
    ravylesley Posts: 1,105 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Morning N9EAV and all who follow

white rabbit white rabbit

Its perishing outside and perishing inside this morning brrrrrrr.I hope its warmer wherever you are!

Its monday so its a day of manic cleaning and tidying trying to remove the dross accumulated over the weekend.Its too cold and I'm too skint to go out shopping today so it will be housebound activities which will occupy me and my ys today

Hubby and MD are both going on trips today but separately.Daughter is going to the MEN with the school choir for a singing comp.Hubby is going to college to start his NVQ and ha warned me he's going to the pub afterwards.He isnt working tomorrow so no harm done

WM on TD on,BM will be on later and I'vegot yesterdays chicken carcass to turn into chicken and veg soup for the kids for tea.They'll be having the remains of yesterdays bread pud for pud

N9eav hope your wife gets some supply work soon

Lesleyxx
  • charlies_mum
    charlies_mum Posts: 8,118 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Morning all :wave:

Haven't been around much lately, but am early today, so thought I would pop in and say hello. Woke up on Saturday morning and decided to decorate the hall, stairs and landing, and by tea time, all the walls were done :j If I had thought about it, I would have put myself off, so decided I need to be more spontaneous :D DH is going to put in a wooden floor, and I really want a new stair carpet, just hope the cat doesn't ruin it

Went into Mr As last week for a piece of beef, and couldn't believe how expensive it was, so went to our local abbatoire and bought a huge piece of £15, so cut it into 3 and froze two bits. Yellow stickered chicken pie in the Remoska with mash and leeks tonight.

Work today, and it is absolutely freezing here, so might take some soup in a flask, and mince pies (which are compulsory at Christmas) :rotfl:

Hope everyone is OK x
    You're only young once, but you can be immature forever :D
  • tru
    tru Posts: 9,138 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    music-note.gif.jpg
    Joy to the world, the Lord is come
    Let earth receive her King
    Let every heart prepare Him room
    And Heaven and nature sing
    And Heaven and nature sing
    And Heaven, and Heaven, and nature sing

Morning :hello:
    In my advent calendar today - a cracker
    :santa2:

I'm going to town this morning, I went to make more cards yesterday and the colours were awful so I need to buy more printer ink :rolleyes: :D

Master troo tidied his room so of course I have a mountain of washing to do :rolleyes:

And the garden is a complete mess so I want to sort that out, then plan next's years planting.

Apart from that, I'm not doing anything :D
    Bulletproof
  • redruby
    redruby Posts: 7,317 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all,

Brrrr its cold here too,I woke in the night cold, think I will be scraping the car this morning.

Not sure if it helps anyone, but today you can book a sainsbugs delivery for the 22nd Dec, which is the last delivery before Xmas, the slots normally go quickly, so get in there fast if you want one.

Dd is off to school, with french load and ham, hm cookie and an apple. I need to make some more cookies today, and perhaps a cake, OH is out of soup too, so will make some more. We had chicken yesterday, and I only gave us a little bit each, but there is not enough for another meal off of it, :confused: , must have been a small one, so think I might make chicken and sweetcorn.

Minty lamb chops for tea with mash, cabbage, leeks and peas, I got a load of lamb chops half price from the butcher last week, enough for 10 meals :T .

Need to put a wash on and have a good tidy through, and do an online shop, phew, and this is my day off :rolleyes: .

Edited to add Happy Birthday to Thriftlady :beer: :j ,you share your birthday with my BIL and SIL :T , have a good day xx

Have good days all xx
  • mags50_2
    mags50_2 Posts: 381 Forumite
    Options
    Pinch Punch The First of the Month!!
    Up far too early...5am ...been looking through the threads on a bit of a catch-up and waiting for someone to start this off...cos I don't know how!:D

I have 24 days to get on top of the housework and do all the preparations for Christmas so have re-joined the FlyLady thread...and up to now....its working :j I got loads done last week, so lets hope I don't run out of steam before the big day.

Dawn is just breaking and it looks like a cold so-so sort of day...got a parcel to post and odd bits of shopping to do and, of course, housework....mainly ironing. Mind you, I went through the piles yesterday and put away all the stuff that doesn't really need ironing and threw lots of stuff out. I kid myself that I'm going to squeeze back into clothes and it never quite works out that way!! :rotfl::rotfl:

Sometime this week I want to make a grand list of every last scrap of food we have in the house...and see what I can make for Christmas and what I need to buy. I've been working for the last few years and have managed to get away with bought desserts etc. but this year, because of finishing work I haven't really got any excuse not to do lots of home-made puds!

Warmed up beef and veg pie for tea, along with roasties and veg from yesterday....had all the family round...so thats going to be an easy cooking day for me!:T

Anyways...have a lovely Monday everyone...whether at work or at home...and keep warm
    x
    ooops....nearly forgot...Happy Birthday Thriftlady! :)
    A family that eats together, stays together

NSD 50/365
    GC JAN £259.63/£400 FEB £346.41/£350.00 MAR £212.57/£300 APR £1/£250
  • tired_mum
    tired_mum Posts: 2,340 Forumite
    Options
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY THRIFT LADY:beer:
    Cold here in Essex this am need to do ironing and also pay some bills so will try to pop into town today. Have got a little job delivering leaflets 2000 at the moment £20 per 1000 so need to get started on that but money will be handy for xmas
    hugs to all who need them
  • sistercas
    sistercas Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    good morning all
    its freeeeezing here brrrrrrrrrr
    happy birthday:bdaycake: thriftlady hope you have a lovely day, perhaps the candles on your cake will warm us all up:rotfl:

in my advent calender today? - a choccy cracker- yum
    got to tidy up , might have to join the flylady's as the house needs a good clean before peeps turn up for crimbo

lunch today chicken salad sandwiches for DD's and OH , butternut squash soup for me
    minced beef and mash today with frozen mixed veg for tea
    hope everyone has a great day
  • MRSTITTLEMOUSE
    Options
    Morning everyone,just thought I'd pop in.
    It's like being in a freezer this morning.I guess we're in for a realy bad winter.Another kick in the teeth for us all,being that heating costs are so high.
    I was away at my daughters all weekend and forgot to leave the heating on timer so the house was unheated all that time.Now I'm afraid to put my heating on since we only came back in the early hours and am afraid I might get a burst pipe or something.I have plenty to keep me busy so I'll stay warm but can't believe I was so stupid.Never mind I'll learn for next time.
    N9eav, I'm like you I'm in dire need of new specs.I was only needing them for reading but my eyesight has deteriorated very quickly this year.I just can't justify spending the money.Which I know is realy bad but I can't help it.
    Happy Birthday to Thriftlady.Have a lovely day.
    Well I'd best go and keep active.I think if I stay still too long I may freeze.
    Have a good day everyone.Take Care.xxx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport