»

Great Things You Should Buy Now For Next Christmas Hunt

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH 31/3
RESCUE FLIGHTS FOR STRANDED BRITS * SCHOOL MEALS VOUCHERS * BRIGHTHOUSE COLLAPSES

Great Things You Should Buy Now For Next Christmas Hunt

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Shop but don't drop
112 replies 42.7K views
MSE_MartinMSE_Martin Money Saving ExpertMoneySaving Expert
8.3K posts
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Shop but don't drop
SHOCKING REVELATION! Next 25 December is Christmas day!! Act now!!!

The number of people who claim Christmas debts is due to 'unexpected' expenditure problems, means I thought it was worth a warning Christmas is due again this year. To help I'm launching the Great 'things to buy now for Xmas' hunt, I want to tap MoneySavers knowledge on what you should be buying in the sales and where the best deals can be had.

Decorations, Christmas trees, cards. All are going cheap in shops at the moment so I thought I'd tap MoneySavers' wealth of knowledge to draw up a list of anything and everything you should buy now in time for December.

Click reply to add your finds/ideas to the list.
Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000

Replies

• I bought Christmas Crackers in Sainsburys yesterday for 62 pence a box for next Christmas - which I think is a bargain
  • cattiecattie Forumite
    8.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    From WH Smith I bought a pack of 30 nice Christmas cards reduced from £4.99 to 99p, plus a couple of 4mtr rolls of luxury wrap, down from £3.99 to 49p.

M&S has gift tags reduced to 25p pack, 8 or 10 tags each pack. They also have 'special' cards reduced, ie to daughter.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • PeteMPeteM Forumite
    520 posts
    The 99p Store/Pound Store/Wilkinsons are currently selling the Xmas wrapping paper and tags half price.

Picked up quite a few 5M rolls of Disney wrapping paper at Wilkos for 50p, and gift tags for 29p.

The problem with getting presents that require batteries, etc. is that when you get to give them as gifts, if they don't work, then you're stuck (as it's a year since they were purchased).

However, no matter what gifts you choose to give, they all need wrapping!!
  • I would love to do that but the problem I have it storing it all for a year. I have hardly any storage space as it is and it was a real relief to get rid of all that xmas stuff from my house. I think I would go mad having it hanging around for almost a year.
    2008 Comping Challenge
    Won so far - £3010 Needed - £230
    Debt free since Oct 2004
  • nearlyrichnearlyrich Forumite
    13.7K posts
    Hung up my suit! Mortgage-free Glee! I'm a Volunteer Board Guide
    I still have enough cards for next year but I am tempted to grab some wrapping paper and tags.
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • I bought an outside reindeer light from next reduced from £20 to £7.
    Auntie Savingsgirl 24/9/06 :j
  • Waitrose and Tesco's finest are reduced to half price. Since they are soaked in alcohol, the best before date is August 2007!
  • surfsistersurfsister Forumite
    7.5K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Tesco has lots of bargains! crackers for 64p
    3 rolls luxury wrap with 8 gold/red bows and 2 gold/red rolls curling ribbon in a pack for 72p (only 1 of the rolls is xmas paper the other 2 would be great for birthdays etc and one of them is a lovely gold wrap.) It also has 8 gold gift tags too. A bargain.
  • I often hit the sales right at the end, then I can 'mine-sweep' what they have left. I still only buy what I need and like, but if you're not too fussed whether you get anything or not, you can pick up some amazing bargains.

Eg. Boots - their gift packs of make-up, smellies etc are still only 33 or 50% off. Last year I waited and kept an eye on what was happening and picked up £20 pressies for under £5 and gave them to the grannies and aunties from the kids. They went down a storm.

The other thing to consider, is not buying things now, but immediately before Xmas (as long as you either have in what you need or don't mind not having it in case it's sold out) Having put up my 12 yo artificial tree on the 17th, I went to B&Q on 18th to find an amazing tree reduced from £100 to £34, a fibre optic ornament thingy for £8.66 and during the week picked up some well reduced baubles. These things are often gone after Xmas or stores like B&Q put them away.

Also, I picked up a fab free-range bronze turkey on 24/12 for half price so that's in the freezer for Easter. I wasn't going to trust not having my turkey so had ordered one but could have saved a fortune food shopping on Xmas Eve (maybe because it fell on a saturday too?)
  • toozie_2toozie_2 Forumite
    3.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    10 meters of Tesco wrapping paper now 17p. :j
    :j