PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Breadmaking - recipes, hints, tips, questions

Options

Comments

• angelavdavis
    angelavdavis Posts: 4,714 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    If anyone is interested and has some Christmas money left, Lakeland have just reduced the Big Book of Bread book to £2.50. Info about the book below:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Big-Book-Bread-Recipes-Machines/dp/1844830535/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_a/202-9140698-8922267
    :D Thanks to MSE, I am mortgage free!:D
  • angelavdavis
    angelavdavis Posts: 4,714 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    hollyh wrote:
    Hi I was wondering if any one can help me.

I got a bm for xmas I've tried the normal white bread and the cinnimon and raisin one. The cinnimon and raisin was slightly better but the white loaves I've made have been absolutely disgusting.

It doesn't even smell nice when it's baking.:confused:

What an earth can i be doing so wrong? I'm following the recipe but it's just not nice.

Please can someone help me before I completely lose all faith

Is the bread rising?
    :D Thanks to MSE, I am mortgage free!:D
  • ethansmum
    ethansmum Posts: 1,780 Forumite
    Options
    Bexstars wrote:
    I have just fished out our hinari breadmaker last week to give it a try. How much do you guys pay for your flour and yeast? I paid 79p for a pack of Harvest Gold yeast with 8 sachets in and paid 61p for a bag of strong white flour. This was from Morrisons and was the cheapest I could see i the store. Could get cheaper anywhere?

LOL! you got a thanks from me for free, when I was thrying to quote you! Anyway I wanted to say that I get the Doves Farm quick yeast = its in a 125g 'block' and it lasts ages. I just use the Tescos basic strong flour.
    July Win: Nokia 5800
  • Lyndsay_21
    Options
    i've bought the aldi's breadmaker and it is very good all non packet loaves have come out really well but the paddles keep getting stuck, i mean really stuck i had to literally put my hand into the bottom of the pan and pull it out today.

any suggestions???
    Other women want a boob job. Honey the only silicone i'm interested in is on a 12 cup muffin tray, preferably shaped like little hearts :heart:
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Your book should tell you that you can put water in the breadpan to soak for x many minutes to free the paddle. If it doesn't give a time you'll usually find that about ten minutes is long enough.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • hollyh
    hollyh Posts: 5,474 Forumite
    Options
    Is the bread rising?

Yes the bread is rising really well. The one i made today was slightly better but still not nice.

There's no lovely smell coming from it either it's quite bland.:confused:
  • buxtonrabbitgreen
    Options
    little_lil wrote:
    thanks everyone for your replies. I guess that the answer will be down to trial and error.

one other quick question, i want to make malt loaf but cant find malt extract in tescos and have had a quick look online at both sainsburys and tescos and they don't have it. Any ideas where i can get it?

thanks
    I got it from boots
    Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination:beer:

Oscar Wilde
  • buxtonrabbitgreen
    Options
    ... the loaf is fine. :T

So my next question is ... my bread machine book recommends that I slice the bread before freezing. Are there any domestic-sized bread slicers on the market?

I've used that Lakeland guide but it's not very good - or I'm not good with it - but how would I slice a whole loaf before freezing?
    I use an electic knife to slice the bread. I got it from a charity shop too, so very mse
    Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination:beer:

Oscar Wilde
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Slicing bread:-

1. Leave the bread until the next day before slicing
    2. Don't press with the knife because you'll squish the loaf
    3. Light cutting strokes will mean that you don't cut too much at a time and so if you wander off line it won't be by much so you can more easily correct yourself.
    4. Don't go for speed - go for control. Speed will come with practice.
    HTH :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Bexstars
    Bexstars Posts: 365 Forumite
    Options
    ethansmum wrote:
    LOL! you got a thanks from me for free, when I was thrying to quote you! Anyway I wanted to say that I get the Doves Farm quick yeast = its in a 125g 'block' and it lasts ages. I just use the Tescos basic strong flour.

Thanked you in return :rotfl:

I will look out for the doves farm yeast and will check out tesco flour, thank you :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport