PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Breadmaking - recipes, hints, tips, questions

Options
1676869707173»

Comments

• Anne_Marie_2
    Options
    Notice there's been a few posts recently on bread makers, and thought I'd share one of my favourite recipes, which is truly delicious and always works, even though I modify it a bit. (Sorry if it's been posted before.....this thread is so long).

This is from my Panasonic book which came with the bread maker. For people with bread makers that put water in first, read from the bottom of the recipe!

Cheese and Oat Loaf (Medium) - Select Whole Wheat Bake program of 5 hours.

Yeast 3/4 tsp
    Strong white flour 400g
    Sugar 1 tsp
    Butter 15g....I always use 15ml olive oil instead
    Salt 1 1/2 tsp
    Egg 1 medium
    Porridge oats 100g
    Cheddar cheese grated 50g
    Gruyere cheese grated 50g
    Parmesan cheese grated 40g
    Mustard powder 1 tsp
    Water 330 ml

Reserve 1 tablespoon of grated cheddar cheese to sprinkle over the top of the loaf 1 hour before the end.

My variations:-

1. Rarely do I use the variety of cheese recommended, and tend to use a mixture of cheddar and a local softer cheese a bit like Gouda or Edam. I have also used blue cheese such as Stilton....maybe around 50g, as I didn't want it too strong. Basically any mix of grated or crumbled cheese that you like up to the max of 140g.
    I also have a problem getting dried mustard (live abroad) so use 1 tsp of made up mustard, either grain or Dijon with no problem.

2. Add about 12 sliced olives. Doesn't matter whether black or green, whatever you prefer. Add just before you add water.

3. Couple of tablespoons of caramelised onions. I use home made, but you could use shop bought. Add just before you add the water. Reduce the amount of water in bread to 315 ml.

4. Instead of using mustard powder, use 1 tsp smoked paprika or 1 tsp chilli flakes (you could use powder) or garlic powder.

5. Half a dozen cloves of smoked or roasted garlic, chopped or mashed up. Reduce amount of water to 320 ml. (I do my own, but sometimes buy jars when garlic cloves are a bit iffy).

6. I have also done this loaf without the cheese, and it comes out beautifully.

I have also frequently forgotten to add the last tablespoon of cheese at the last hour. It still works around the last 20-mins to half hour, otherwise just forget it as it just melts on the top. It doesn't really matter if you forget, as the bread tastes great anyway.
  • scotnan
    scotnan Posts: 636 Forumite
    Options
    Didn't know this thread was here and I've just started making bread so will have a read through this for some tips, hints and recipes, thanks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure