PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Breadmaking - recipes, hints, tips, questions

Options

Comments

• squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    CHELSEA BUNS! in Bread Maker

DOUGH:
    Medium Eggs - 1 Beaten and made up to 150ml ith tepid water
    Strong White Bread Flour - 225g
    Dried Milk Powder - 15ml
    Salt - 25g
    Caster Suger - 25g
    Easy Blend Dried Yeast - 5ml
    Well, I made the dough...

..it was very sticky and elastic as it came out of the breadmaker and certainly needed a lot of flour on the board to make it manageable.

But it's been somewhere warm for an hour and a half now and it hasn't risen at all. I'm wondering if the salt has killed off all the yeast 'cos that's a HUGE amount of salt for a small mix? Is it really 25g?
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    This Chelsea Bun recipe is from The Complete Bread Machine Cookbook ...

Dough:
    150ml skimmed milk
    3 medium eggs, beaten
    75g melted butter
    450g strong white flour
    2tsp salt
    50g caster sugar
    7g sachet dried yeast

Extras:
    25g melted butter
    225g dried fruit
    125g brown sugar
    icing sugar & hot water to glaze

Bake 20-25 mins 200C/400F/gas 6
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• Curry_Queen
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The Panasonic recipe for the dough is ...

1/2tsp dried yeast
    250g strong white flour
    1tsp sugar
    25g butter
    1tbsp milk powder
    1/2tsp salt
    1 medium egg
    100ml water

Seems there was a heck of a lot of salt in that other recipe compared to either of these two :confused:
    ~

• squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The Panasonic recipe for the dough is ...

1/2tsp dried yeast
    250g strong white flour
    1tsp sugar
    25g butter
    1tbsp milk powder
    1/2tsp salt
    1 medium egg
    100ml water

Seems there was a heck of a lot of salt in that other recipe compared to either of these two :confused:
    I reckoned it was a typo, but even at half it was way too salty. I've printed the CBM book one and will make that next time.

I can't think of any way to recycle these things, other than compost fodder.

Has anyone actually made one of these recipes?

(more and more I'm thinking it should have been 2.5 grams)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • skylight
    skylight Posts: 10,716 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Is there a hide away smilie??????

I have re-checked the recipe I have and it defo says 25g.

Mind you, all the other recipies have the salt in ml and are anything from 2.5ml to 5ml. I didn't think to check it against the others and with my knowledge level, I wouldn't have even noticed it was on the high side.

HUGE apologies, and I promise never to post a recipie again until I have made it myself.
  • squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Awww... never mind. Life is one long learning process. :)
  • Curry_Queen
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It sounds like it was a typo in the original recipe you copied then Charlotte so you weren't to know, and certainly can't be blamed for it :D

I wouldn't have known either having never made them myself :confused:
    ~

• squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well...

..everything rose properly and it looked the part...

..and it's edible...

..BUT...

It isn't the chelsea bun I used to know and love. This is much more bread like. The ones I had in mind are much closer to a cake mix.

Hmm...

It's going to take me ages to eat all these.
  • Uncle_Cuddles
    Options
    Fantastic thread - just spent all morning reading through it.

I noticed an early post which is exactly the same question I have - does anyone know what the recipe is to make crusty cobs (the sort you get in north-west England)? They are white rolls which are very light and dry, but have a thick dark brown crust, and they are really tasty!!

Any help would be appreciated.
  • squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The nearest I can get is the fact that they are very like a french loaf that is cooked as rolls instead of as a stick.

You could try the french recipe in the link and do rolls and see what you get. If it's close you'll have to experiment to get it just right :)

http://www.thatsmyhome.com/bakery/special/french.htm
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport