PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Breadmaking - recipes, hints, tips, questions

Options

Comments

• squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hiya; :)

I'll join this post into our main breadmaking thread to help keep all the queries together.

Hope your bread turned out OK
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • MrsB_2
    MrsB_2 Posts: 659 Forumite
    Options
    Yesterday was my birthday and my lovely DH bought me a BreadMaker!!!! A new one, all of my very own!!! It was a complete shock cos he doesnt eat wheat and has always said no point in having one cos we'd waste more than we ate. But evidently he's changed his mind ;) !! He says he's concluded that being as how i eat bread anyway I might as well eat homemade healthy bread rather than plastic rubbish from the shops (his words not mine!!) :j

Anyway - I got a Morphy Richards FastBake. Put it on last night on timer to make a 2lb white loaf ready for this morning. Wow!! It was FANTABULOUS!! DH tried it and even he pronounced it "Awesome". I love it, and if anyone's considering buying a BM I'd definitely recommend this one. I've used an MR machine before, but this one beats even that - mind the one I used before is probably nearly 10 years old!!
    I'd rather be a could-be if I cannot be an are; because a could-be is a maybe who is reaching for a star. I'd rather be a has-been than a might-have-been, by far; for a might have-been has never been, but a has was once an are – Milton Berle
  • megasaver
    megasaver Posts: 162 Forumite
    Options
    MIRRY wrote:
    Hi , I got my new machine yest at argos reduced from £60 to £39.99 !

Now my son has a milk allergy and in the booklet it says i have to add dry milk powder to the formular.........do i really have to ?
    can i just put a drop of soya milk in it ?

really desperate because my son also has other allergys including NUTS which makes it impossible to buy him any fresh baked bread as they all say may contain nuts. I really want to treat him for the first time to the experiance of fresh bread (hes 11 years old).

Hello Mirry, I have made bread in my breadmaker for over 4 years and 99% of the time don't use milk powder..... the bread I make is just fine/wonderful without it. I know when you are new to BM you want to follow every recipe to the letter, but trust me you don't need milk powder or milk of any sort for that matter! Let us know how you get on and what your son thought!

Mega xx
  • Gingham_Ribbon
    Options
    Made my first loaf in my new BM tonight. It was ciabatta. I think I may have died and gone to heaven...

I also think my diet is in BIG trouble!

Thanks for the tip about leaving out the milk powder. I only have organic dairy and can't find organic milk powder unless I use sheeps' milk or soya. I thought sheeps' milk might have too much flavour and I wasn't sure about soya...
    May all your dots fall silently to the ground.
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Options
    :T Nice one, GR!!! :T

As for the diet ... well, if you only have a leeeettle bit, once in a blue moon, you'll be fine ;)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Gingham_Ribbon
    Options
    Actually, since you're so kind to be encouraging, Queenie, I can honestly say that, despite the amazing smell and temptation, I had half a slice with a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar, gave my husband the other half to go with his big slab, and put the rest of the loaf in a tub for tomorrow.

I'm going to need a breadbin! :T
  • Queenie
    Options
    Awww, bet that half slice tasted like nectar! Well done on your reserve - I would have scoffed the lot :o

:think: Breadbin/diet .... :think: diet/breadbin .... :idea: ... when you've made your bread, slice it into portions and then freeze the rest. Helps keep temptation at bay and it means you can "ration" it out accordingly. It's also moneysaving ;)

"Take care of the portions and the lb's will take care of themselves"
  • Gingham_Ribbon
    Gingham_Ribbon Posts: 31,520 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    When it was just me and DH, we always bought bread on offer and froze it. But we have a bread guzzling toddler and all take packed lunches out. I had one slice this morning and there's only enough for another slice or 2 left, and I've not even made MY lunch yet!

I can see me making a loaf at least every day until the novelty wears off! My son pointed to his mouth after his second doorstop slice and said 'more in there!'

It's a complete hit and I love it! And the house smells lovely.
  • Queenie
    Options
    My son pointed to his mouth after his second doorstop slice and said 'more in there!'

It's a complete hit and I love it! And the house smells lovely.

Awww, how CUTE!!! (can I borrow him?)

Do you have a timer on your machine? I tend to fill mine up before bed, set the timer and - voila - fresh bread at breadfast. :drool: :drool:
  • Gingham_Ribbon
    Gingham_Ribbon Posts: 31,520 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    He's a gem!

We got the panasonic 253 but I'm a bit of a worrier and I don't want any electrical equipment on over night until I've got a safety plug on it. (One that trips the switch if there's a power surge.)

I was on my way to get one yesterday when I got sidetracked, so hopefully we'll have one by the weekend. Then we'll be waking up to THAT smell....

Mmmmmmmmmm............
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure