NEW: Got questions about energy? Put them to Gary and Andrew from MSE's Utilities team during our energy-themed 'Ask An Expert' event. Check back here from Tuesday 9 August, 12pm

MONEY MORAL DILEMMA. Would you dent someone’s car if they blocked you in?

MSE_JennyMSE_Jenny MSE Staff
1.3K Posts
Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
MSE Staff
Here's this week's hypothetical situation for you to cogitate on:
Would you dent someone’s car if they blocked you in?

You park your car sensibly on the side of the road. Yet when you return to the vehicle, two cars are parked either side with only an inch of room, pinning you car in. While they both have enough space to get out, you’re trapped. The only way to escape is by nudging them out of the way, but it’s very likely this will dent at least one of them, as your bumper is higher than theirs. Would you dent their cars?
Click reply to have your say

Previous MMDs:
Do you charge house guests for breakages?
Should Rebecca come clean about David's baguette?

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Replies

• I'm not a driver, so probably not the best person to reply to this... However, I imagine I wouldn't use my car like a bumper car - as well as for the fact you'd damage their car, surely your own car would be a bit worse for wear?

I don't know if you would be able to report the cars to someone who'd be able to tow them? And I doubt I'd be able to push them physically. I'd probably resort to ringing up my dad/OH and whining down the phone to them for their suggestion.

Imagine if you'd returned to your car in a rush for an appointment, or rushing to get to the hospital or something? =/
  • skylightskylight Forumite
    10.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker Home Insurance Hacker!
    No. Not at all.

"bumping" another car out of the way is move stuff rather than real anyway. And there is no way I would risk damage to my car at all.

Yes - flippin cross I would be, but would be tooting till kingdom come - which the kids would enjoy!
  • I would try not to; but I have done it unfortunately. What can you do when someone does this to you? The police weren't interested, so short of putting in a window and taking off their handbrake, you don't have much option. But I did it without any damage (slight scuff) and moved the car enough to get out. And if you do it very very gently you can move a car by pressing the bumber without more than a slight scratch!

People need to accept they have responsibilities to be courteous to other people and then things like this wouldn't happen.
    A friend is someone who understands your past, believes in your future, and accepts you just the way you are.
  • phoebe03catphoebe03cat Forumite
    890 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thought it was the standard way of parking in Paris.
  • Definitely. If they've parked that close, then they have brought it upon themselves. Responsible drivers would be courteous to other drivers and leave enough room. Sometimes people have to park close, but once it's bumper to bumper that's too close.
    Nudge their car out of the way and hopefully they'll see what they did wrong. They might just get it next time.

I like the towing idea that was mentioned earlier, but never heard of it ever being done...
  • Gorf123Gorf123 Forumite
    77 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Absolutely. Having a two-ton, tough old boot of a car helps.

Fortunately I've never had to do it, but I know someone who did, and I think he was right. He spoiled it, though, by pushing one of the offenders so far out of the way that they ended up blocking someone's drive.
  • I'm sure there's a Mr Bean clip of this but for the life of me I can't seem to find it on youtube...
  • We were attending a rowing regatta, and the way through to the competitors parking and boat assembly was through a car park.

Someone had parked in the access way. So, being strapping lads (and there being 19 of us), we arranged ourselves around the car, picked it up and moved it to the middle of the car park.

Lo and behold after the race, someone else had done the same thing. We put them up against a wall in a way that would give them a bit of trouble moving it.

I'd have loved to have seen the faces of the owners! Sadly, we needed to get back. :D

We didn't damage them, though. Well, apart from a slightly bent wing where we were holding on...
  • consumers_revengeconsumers_revenge Forumite
    3.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    This one makes me mad! :mad:

When I park I make sure the people I park between have enough room to get out. Even move again if it means the can behind them is a bit tight to them.

DO TO OTHERS AS YOU WOULD HAVE DONE TO YOU!

If some idiot has blocked me in when I return their fair game and its always nice to see how strong their handbrake works :D

Dont even get me started on people who park in carparks accross 2 bays through sheer laziness! ;)
  • YES YES YES!

Our office overlooks the top floor of a multi-storey car-park, and only last week we watched as a woman tried to escape from her parking space having been boxed in on ALL sides!

Two morons had parked their cars in front of hers in 'non spaces'.

It took her ages - heaven help her if she had to be home to get the children or get to an interview.

15 minutes later, back strolls one of the culprits on the mobile phone, oblivious to the trouble her ignorant thoughtlessness has caused.

Good news though - she stayed on the mobile phone as she drove off and clipped a raised kerb next to the down-ramp, breaking the front corner off her bumper area - LOL LOL LOL.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Homes, hornets & high heels

This week's MSE Forum highlights

MSE Forum

Kids eat for 'free' or £1 this summer

Little ones can enjoy hot meals for less

MSE Deals