MONEY MORAL DILEMMA: Should you come clean about the extra refund?

Options
123457»

Comments

• pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I would be honest about discount, as I was returning something I did not like.
    Recently, I returned a pair of gold earrings to a branch of Debenhams, as they made my ears sore and red. The assistant's first response was that ALL that range were "gold-plated", so problems were likely for some wearers. When shown the '9 carat' gold label she claimed that the roughened bits (on the part which goes through the ear) were the hallmark!

When I eventually got as far as a refund my credit card slip showed full price, while my proof of purchase had shown the %10 discount. I thoroughly enjoyed the smug sense of superiority telling her the correct amount I was owed.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • ^!£$&
    ^!£$& Posts: 1,929 Forumite
    Options
    This recently happened to me a sales assistant refunded me over £15 more that than she should have I didnt tell her because she was so rude, huffed when I said i wanted to return something and actually sniggered with her colleague when I returned something she thought was "naff"
    This was a big high st chain and I dont feel guilty about it one bit! But I do agree if it was an independent store or one where they actually offered me good customer service I would have told them!!
  • jgriggle
    jgriggle Posts: 165 Forumite
    Options
    Many people are saying that if it was a big chain store they would keep quiet. Bear in mind though, a big chain is almost certainly going to deduct the amount from the staff member's wages. It happened to a friend of mine a few years ago. He worked in an electronics shop and had to do a manual swipe of a customer's credit card for a 300 quid CD player, as the card machines weren't working properly. Unfortunately the swipe machine didn't pick up the last digit from the card. The company told him it was up to him to personally chase the customer, which he was unable to do. The result: lucky customer gets 300 quid CD player for free, my friend has 300 quid deducted from his wages. And sorry Richer Sounds, but you really do deserve to be named and shamed for your treatment of your staff in this case...
  • sherbie28
    Options
    How about if a Supermarket gave you change for a £20 instead of the £10 that you'd given cashier? Does the till assistant personally have to pay it back because it's their mistake?
  • petersandyglen
    Options
    Honesty is the best policy, you cannot distinguish between large or small stores. Do as you would be done by.
    Unfortunately this doesn't always work first time, and sometimes I have had to fight for my rights, but at least I rest easy.
  • inca_2
    inca_2 Posts: 283 Forumite
    Options
    I'll be honest here, for me it all comes down to whether the staff member's till is going to be down. If I'm ever given too much change I will always tell the staff member as I know their till will be down and they will get the grief for it, the amount or where it is doesn't matter (apart from a certain travel agent maybe as they charged me a tenner extra in holiday money than they had given me and were absolutely disgusting in their service when I pointed it out to them. They made me feel like a liar and had to wait for ages before they would check the till, it felt good when they finally did after arguing with me for half an hour saying that I was wrong. Funnily enough the till was a tenner over and I got my money back.)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure