What to charge DS for housekeeping?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Marriage, Relationships & Families
72 replies 3.2K views

Replies

• OldernotwiserOldernotwiser
    37.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kpwll wrote: »
    We take £150.00 per calendar month from our son, although he is 24 this is his 1st FT job as he has been in university. He lived at home and we 'kept' him while he was there, but he worked PT all through and didn't expect us to pay for anything else. (There were a few treats when money was available tho).
    He buys all his own clothes, toiletries, his snacks for work, runs a car (which he paid for), saves every month and is paying back his student loan.
    He has passed to enter the police, but due to funding, doesn't know when he will start.
    I know we could take more from him but as long as he is not squandering the rest we are happy to help.

£150 per month is a tiny amount for someone earning over £15,000 so I don't really see why he needs any "help"!
  • kpwllkpwll Forumite
    4.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    He doesn't earn over £15000, he is working as a porter in a hospital at the moment and where we live they definately don't earn that much. By the time he pays into a pension, travelling costs and parking costs every day he works (shift work, inconvenient hours and expensive bus routes), repays his student loan, there is quite a portion of his monthly wage gone.
    Also, I never said that he 'needed help', I said we were happy to help, which is something quite different.
    Re the student loan, they are not supposed to take repayments until they earn over £15000, BUT due to an administration error they have started taking it as soon as he was in in FT job and being paid monthly. As it has to be paid back, it might as well be now, before there are other drains on his finances eg, mortgage etc.
  • OP, your son needs to learn that if you want to be treated like an adult you have to behave like one. As soon as I was working I paid board and helped with the housework and cooking, my parents would not have let me get away with any less. When I left home I had the skills to cope on my own. As OH had similar upbringing we have managed to stick to budget and run a home with no real problems. I have a good relationship with my parents who treat me like a grown up and respect my choices. I know people who complain their parents interfere in their lives but they still behave like children and expect their parents to bail them out constantly so what do they expect. We all have to grow up some time. How long does your son think he can just work P/T for spending money whilst you keep him? As many others have stated you are not being mean just realistic.
  • OldernotwiserOldernotwiser
    37.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kpwll wrote: »
    Re the student loan, they are not supposed to take repayments until they earn over £15000, BUT due to an administration error they have started taking it as soon as he was in in FT job and being paid monthly. As it has to be paid back, it might as well be now, before there are other drains on his finances eg, mortgage etc.

There's no reason at all for your son to be paying off his student loan when he's not earning enough. If you look at Martin's factsheet on the subject and many threads on the Student Board, you'll find that this is the very worst thing that he should be doing! The Student Loan doesn't affect other credit, like mortgages and he could be getting a far higher interest rate from saving this money than he's paying on his loan.

I'm sure it would be helpful to him for you to look at the facts of the situation and advise him accordingly; what he's doing, on a low income, is a really bad idea!
  • kpwllkpwll Forumite
    4.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have looked into it and told him that it doesn't have to be paid back yet, to contact the SLC to get it stopped, but his decision was to carry on paying. Thank you for trying to help though.
  • i earn 16k (around £1300 before tax)and only pay £7 a month back. it hardly dints my wage at all. its good to know your paying something back. also, its up to the employer not the SLC to deduct it from his wage so he needs to tell them first if he wants to stop paying it back for whatever reason.
    :j TTC from September 08 / BFP November 08 / EDD 22nd July 09 :j
    OH's debt as of Sept 08 - £15,000 / Nov 08 - £13,500
  • adandemadandem Forumite
    3.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    My son is just back from uni. He's working FT now and did work throughout his degree to help support himself, he's never asked us for a penny. He pays £10 a week which i know is low but he stays at GF's 2 nights a week and he's paying off his overdraught.

He's going back to do his Masters next year so I'm saving all the money and will give it him back towards his fees. We haven't been able to help him that much throughout his degree so to me it's doing what we can for him.
  • LizbethLizbeth Forumite
    118 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    I lived with my parents for a few months after uni and paid £75 a week rent as they wanted to charge what I would be paying if I rented a room somewhere in order to teach me to budget for realistic outgoings every month.

However when I moved out they gave me the money back towards a deposit... which was a (very nice) surprise to me! Especially as I needed to find 10wks rent upfront (deposit plus first month) :eek:.
  • LizbethLizbeth Forumite
    118 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    I lived with my parents for a few months after uni and paid £75 a week rent as they wanted to charge what I would be paying if I rented a room somewhere in order to teach me to budget for realistic outgoings every month.

However when I moved out they gave me the money back towards a deposit... which was a (very nice) surprise to me! Especially as I needed to find 10wks' rent upfront (deposit plus first month) :eek:.
  • LouBlueLouBlue Forumite
    53.5K Posts
    Sensible parents. :D
    A cloudy day is no match for a sunny disposition
    ~ William Arthur Ward ~
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides