edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Marriage, Relationships & Families
72 replies 3.2K views

Replies

• skintchickskintchick Forumite
    15.1K Posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BillyBear wrote: »
    Skintchick - of course you are right. I think I need to change my attitude as well as him. Thanks for that. x
    :) It will be hard and he will pull at your heartstrings but he is earning and it's only fair he should pay his way. how is it fair if he pays nothing but eats your food, uses your electricity, etc.?

Be strong! :D
    :cool: DFW Nerd Club member 023...DFD 9.2.2007 :cool:
    :heartpuls married 21 6 08 :A Angel babies' birth dates 3.10.08 * 4.3.11 * 11.11.11 * 17.3.12 * 2.7.12 :heart2: My live baby's birth date 22 7 09 :heart2: I'm due another baby at the end of July 2014! :j
  • skintchick wrote: »
    Be strong! :D

I will be strong! I can do this...I can do this! :D:D
  • When I lived at home, we always paid a quarter of our net income as board and lodging. Not only did it serve as a lesson in understanding that mortgage, fuel and food cost, it also meant we could make a contribution to the family pot.

Not taking anything or asking for a tiny amount, whilst your DS or DD is out enjoying spending their money teaches them nothing.

Maybe if they are saving every penny for a house deposit or something, you could (secretly) put it away as suggested and then give a contribution, but why should an adult learn it's OK to spend, spend, spend without having to consider any bills?
  • Not taking anything or asking for a tiny amount, whilst your DS or DD is out enjoying spending their money teaches them nothing.

You're right - I'd be doing him no favours letting him live here scot free! :):D;)
  • MrsE_2MrsE_2
    24.2K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cazza wrote: »
    I have recently had to move back in with my parents and I am 27 (believe me, I will be moving out again as soon as I can find somewhere else that I can afford or I get a payrise!).

I take home just over £1000 per month and pay my parents £350 per month. (Bless her, my Mum does all my washing, which I actually find quite embarassing :o , but she says she would rather that than half loads going through the machine!) My £350 includes bills etc and food, although I do buy extra bits for packed lunches etc as it's not the sort of thing they would have bought before they moved back in.

My DD earns just over £1,100 (thats after her pension contribution are deducted, she actually earns a bit more) & she pays £200 per calender month (works out £46 pw).
    That includes ALL food, lunches everything. Sky box in room, wireless BB so she can use laptop in room, phone in room:rolleyes:
    Some toiletries - not all, but shampoo/conditionor/shower gel/toothpaste the essental bits.

Its works out about a third of the shopping & the extra £10 her sky box costs.
    I spend about £110 to £120 on three of us shopping.

When she calls it rent, I keep telling her she doesn't pay rent/council tax/electric/gas etc ect!
  • hardpressedhardpressed Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I worked out the bills for running the house for the year, all bills council tax, electricity, phone, food etc then divided it by the number of adults, my children were prepared to pay their share, they found that when they did get their own places that it had been much cheaper living at home!
  • LouBlueLouBlue Forumite
    53.5K Posts
    skintchick wrote: »
    Basically get him used to real life outside the home because the other thing to bear in mind is that if he is lazy and unable to cook, wash, look afterhimself then he is no use to a future girlfriend/wife!

Sooo with you on that one! OH's mum mollycoddled all 3 of her 'kids', didn't want to take any money....did everything.....liked to be needed...that sort of thing.....:rolleyes:....luckily for me, OH didn't like this and wanted to be independent, make his own way and is very self-sufficient...but his brother and sister (29 & 27), still live at home, both earn a good salary...don't pay a penny or lift a finger...and his mum moans to my OH all the time about it......I have no sympathy......:rolleyes:

To OP - me and my two sisters gave my mum a third of our take home pay.
    A cloudy day is no match for a sunny disposition
    ~ William Arthur Ward ~
  • Well I feel a bit of a softie. My DS is in the same age bracket & earns roughly the same amount as OP'S each month. I ask him for £40 a month contribution.

Billy bear it sounds like I should be a bit stronger too :o :rotfl:
    Now thanks to Tommix & Queen Bear, now Lady Westy of Woodpecker :)
  • LouBlueLouBlue Forumite
    53.5K Posts
    Well I feel a bit of a softie. My DS is in the same age bracket & earns roughly the same amount as OP'S each month. I ask him for £40 a month contribution.

Billy bear it sounds like I should be a bit stronger too :o :rotfl:

WESTY!!!!! :eek: I thought you were getting stronger .............:rolleyes:;)
    A cloudy day is no match for a sunny disposition
    ~ William Arthur Ward ~
  • Westy - seems like your an even bigger softie than me! :D
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Tesco Clubcard rule tweaks

Be careful when converting points to Cineworld

MSE News

£148 of Ciaté nail polish for £35

Via its Advent calendar (norm £59 delivered)

MSE Deals