What to charge DS for housekeeping?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Marriage, Relationships & Families
72 replies 3.2K views

Replies

• Hi
    I was charged rent as soon as i was working full time, i never thought it was unfair and as my wage increased so did me contributions. I think my mum used to charge me about 1/3 of my wage and it was a good lesson to learn as i am now married and have to manage our finances.
    I would do this with my own children.
  • skintchick wrote: »
    What are his plans? Is this a prt-time job before he goes to college? An apprenticeship?

I think it depends if this is a stepping stone or if he is just working pt and expecting you to pay for his way.

If it's a stepping stone then support him a bit and don;t charge hom until he's earning properly but if he is being lazy then charge him to kick him into gear!

I had a gap between A levels and college and worked full time but didn;t pay board. After I left college I got my own flat and paid everything from my wages.

You've nailed it on the head there! He blew his Highers and has never attempted to get a job, just works part time as he did before. As long as he's got enough for gigs, pubs, clubs etc. he's happy. I would never dream of asking for money if he was heading to college/univerity. Bust he hasn't even attepted to get a full time job. I think he's fallen into a routine he's happy with and needs to see how real life works!
  • OldernotwiserOldernotwiser
    37.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BillyBear wrote: »
    You've nailed it on the head there! He blew his Highers and has never attempted to get a job, just works part time as he did before. As long as he's got enough for gigs, pubs, clubs etc. he's happy. I would never dream of asking for money if he was heading to college/univerity. Bust he hasn't even attepted to get a full time job. I think he's fallen into a routine he's happy with and needs to see how real life works!

I think you'd be daft to let him keep this amount as pocket money; it's not fair to you and not good for him. When people talk about charging a third, that's only if he's saving another third, which seems to be unlikely here. If he's not saving, a half would be more like it and encourage him to get a proper job.
  • starbump wrote: »
    No one will agree with me but I wouldn't charge my child for living in the family home. He's going to be leaving home soon and no amount of money will make up for it. However, that's just my opinion and not a criticism of the OP.

These threads may be useful:
    Working children paying keep - how much?
    Once your kids are earning should you charge them housekeeping?
    Adult son starting 1st job - how much should he pay (staying at home)?

Thanks for these links starbump - they'll be very useful:T
  • skintchickskintchick Forumite
    15.1K Posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BillyBear wrote: »

In that case then you need to charge him and point out he has to get a ft job and sort himself out. How much though I don;t know - it's a tough one, but if he was renting a room how much would that cost round your way? How much is your food bill and what amount of it is for him?

I think I'd say if he is earning £500 a month he should pay you £300 to cover room rent, food and bills. He will still have £200 to himself for pure spends which is a lot IMO.

If he wants more he will have to get a ft job.
    :cool: DFW Nerd Club member 023...DFD 9.2.2007 :cool:
    :heartpuls married 21 6 08 :A Angel babies' birth dates 3.10.08 * 4.3.11 * 11.11.11 * 17.3.12 * 2.7.12 :heart2: My live baby's birth date 22 7 09 :heart2: I'm due another baby at the end of July 2014! :j
  • RiqRiq Forumite
    10.4K Posts
    £300?! Isn't that a bit excessive, 60%?!
    "I'm not from around here, I have my own customs"
    For confirmation: No, I'm not a 40 year old woman, I'm a 26 year old bloke!
  • skintchick wrote: »
    How much is your food bill and what amount of it is for him?

LOL - He'd eat me out of house and home! The rest of the family are prone to hiding biscuits etc out of his way or nobody would get a look in! Thanks for your support on this one skintchick;)
    15.1K Posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Riq wrote: »
    £300?! Isn't that a bit excessive, 60%?!

I don;t think so - he needs to get himself in gear and that would promot it. How much would it cost him to lve away from home? A lot more than that I think!

She can save it up for him, it's just to make a point. HE can;t slouch about with a pt job doing nothing and expecting his parents to carry him, especially not in this financial climate.

He needs to learn a life lesson. £200 spending money is plenty IMO.
    :heartpuls married 21 6 08 :A Angel babies' birth dates 3.10.08 * 4.3.11 * 11.11.11 * 17.3.12 * 2.7.12 :heart2: My live baby's birth date 22 7 09 :heart2: I'm due another baby at the end of July 2014! :j
  • RiqRiq Forumite
    10.4K Posts
    £300 is a lot cheaper than renting outside home I admit. But it's actually going the money off the lad, £300 is a lot to hand over in one go and I think he just wont do it.
    "I'm not from around here, I have my own customs"
    For confirmation: No, I'm not a 40 year old woman, I'm a 26 year old bloke!
    15.1K Posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Riq wrote: »
    £300 is a lot cheaper than renting outside home I admit. But it's actually going the money off the lad, £300 is a lot to hand over in one go and I think he just wont do it.

THen he has to move out! Why treat him with kid gloves? He isn;t a child - he is an adult.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Tesco Clubcard rule tweaks

Be careful when converting points to Cineworld

MSE News

£148 of Ciaté nail polish for £35

Via its Advent calendar (norm £59 delivered)

MSE Deals