edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Marriage, Relationships & Families
72 replies 3.2K views

Replies

• lineyliney Forumite
    5.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Riq wrote: »
    £300 is a lot cheaper than renting outside home I admit. But it's actually going the money off the lad, £300 is a lot to hand over in one go and I think he just wont do it.

Then he gets evicted, finds somewhere cheaper, or works more hours. It is his choice.

Sorry OP i read the post as your son had just started his first job on a YTS or something. If he's choosing to work part time to suit his social life then a kick up the rear is in order. Did you work out how much he has 'cost' you now that he's started working? Is that an unreasonable starting point, or can he not cover that?
    "On behalf of teachers, I'd like to dedicate this award to Michael Gove and I mean dedicate in the Anglo Saxon sense which means insert roughly into the anus of." My hero, Mr Steer.
  • skintchickskintchick Forumite
    15.1K Posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alternatively, just charge him £200 for his room but make him provide and cook his own food, do his own washing, etc.

Basically get him used to real life outside the home because the other thing to bear in mind is that if he is lazy and unable to cook, wash, look afterhimself then he is no use to a future girlfriend/wife!

You owe it to women everywhere to ensure he is a useful partner in future!
    :cool: DFW Nerd Club member 023...DFD 9.2.2007 :cool:
    :heartpuls married 21 6 08 :A Angel babies' birth dates 3.10.08 * 4.3.11 * 11.11.11 * 17.3.12 * 2.7.12 :heart2: My live baby's birth date 22 7 09 :heart2: I'm due another baby at the end of July 2014! :j
  • MeadowsMeadows Forumite
    4.5K Posts
    Mortgage-free Glee! Hung up my suit! Xmas Saver!
    When my daughter first started work I didn't charge her anything, when she left home and sometime later came back I thought it only fair that she paid some towards costs. What I did do was take a little more than I wanted & saved it for her (she was not aware of this) and later when she needed money for a new car I gave her back the money I had saved, telling her what I had done to, so she had more than she thought towards the car.

I think it depends on what your budget is and what you can afford, some parents make there children pay at least their share, some make them pay way over the top, some nothing at all.
    Yes they would have to pay a lot living on their own, but they aren't they are living with you.
    I wouldn't charge my own child too much but that's my choice!
    Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it.
  • liney wrote: »
    . Did you work out how much he has 'cost' you now that he's started working? Is that an unreasonable starting point, or can he not cover that?

Not worked out properly but around the £200 mark so that may be something to work around.

Update - just broached the subject with him again as he passed me on the way to the fridge from his room (pc/music/tv/light on of course). Didnt mention a figure but he told me he'd start to pay something after Christmas!
  • skintchick wrote: »
    You owe it to women everywhere to ensure he is a useful partner in future!

So with you on this one! His dad (my ex) was/is still a total waster!
  • CazzaCazza Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I have recently had to move back in with my parents and I am 27 (believe me, I will be moving out again as soon as I can find somewhere else that I can afford or I get a payrise!).

I take home just over £1000 per month and pay my parents £350 per month. (Bless her, my Mum does all my washing, which I actually find quite embarassing :o , but she says she would rather that than half loads going through the machine!) My £350 includes bills etc and food, although I do buy extra bits for packed lunches etc as it's not the sort of thing they would have bought before they moved back in.
  • skintchickskintchick Forumite
    15.1K Posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BillyBear wrote: »
    Not worked out properly but around the £200 mark so that may be something to work around.

Update - just broached the subject with him again as he passed me on the way to the fridge from his room (pc/music/tv/light on of course). Didnt mention a figure but he told me he'd start to pay something after Christmas!

I think you should arrange a time to sit down with him and discuss it and tell him when you expect him to start paying ie next payday onwards, don;t let him tell you what he will be doing as it simply is not his choice!
    :cool: DFW Nerd Club member 023...DFD 9.2.2007 :cool:
    :heartpuls married 21 6 08 :A Angel babies' birth dates 3.10.08 * 4.3.11 * 11.11.11 * 17.3.12 * 2.7.12 :heart2: My live baby's birth date 22 7 09 :heart2: I'm due another baby at the end of July 2014! :j
  • lineyliney Forumite
    5.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    BillyBear wrote: »

Oh he will will he.... When did he become head of the household?:eek:
    "On behalf of teachers, I'd like to dedicate this award to Michael Gove and I mean dedicate in the Anglo Saxon sense which means insert roughly into the anus of." My hero, Mr Steer.
  • liney wrote: »
    Oh he will will he.... When did he become head of the household?:eek:
    Seems like from the day he was born!:rolleyes:
  • nearlyrichnearlyrich Forumite
    13.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Hung up my suit! Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would expect him to start paying now never mind after Christmas!
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Tesco Clubcard rule tweaks

Be careful when converting points to Cineworld

MSE News

£148 of Ciaté nail polish for £35

Via its Advent calendar (norm £59 delivered)

MSE Deals