PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

November 2008 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Primula
    Primula Posts: 953 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you Princess leia, I will have a look at the User CP, I feel quite excited and motivated by all this already!
    x
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,627 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    moanymoany wrote: »
    Portion control is an important part of controling costs of meals. I weigh everything. I allow 100 grams dried pasta, rice, cous cous, bulgar wheat. I allow 50 grams of oats each for porridge and 300 grams for potatoes.
    It's a relief to know I'm not the only one who weighs everything.... DH and DS thought I was nuts when I started this back in June (certain things I've always weighed, but most I never did).

We just dropped from 80g each of rice and pasta to 70g, and no-one's said anything. Don't "do" porridge at the moment (other stuff needs using up). Potatoes I do about 700g between three of us for boiled, 730-750g when doing jackets, or 800-850g for mash.

The cost per head per main meal has dropped big time in this household. It is partly due to being able to get out for Whoospie goods 2 or 3 times a day (when the weather and inclination takes me), but looking back over what we've had portion control (and padding cheap frozen value mince with green lentils) has also had a very big part to play in it. So even if I couldn't get as many Whoopsies in future, there's still no need for our grocery bills to soar back to what they used to be !!!!

Am planning on doing another stock take today/tomorrow and working out what meals to start off with in November -- subject always to DH not having an off day (the chicken I had out yesterday for a curry I had planned for him and DS became something else for me and DS as DH wan't well enough to eat a proper meal - and I can't stand curry!!)

I'm desperate to make freezer space (even though I'm about to replace one with a larger one), but seem to keep finding Whoopsies I can't afford to miss buying and putting in :rolleyes2

Tomorrow is pay day for me, but I'm working on calendar months so November doesn't start until Saturday -- hence I still have time to stock take/menu plan.
    Cheryl
  • natzini
    natzini Posts: 561 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    MRSMCAWBER wrote: »
    Hi Natzini

Do you have lentils that need soaking/pre-cooking?

If not then I would put the mince in the slow cooker first (on high if you have settings)and allow to cook (don't add any liquid yet as the meat will make some ;) )
    Once the meat is coloured I would add the lentils (and any porridge oats if using) and stir and allow to cook for about 30 mins -so they absorb the meat juices :D
    Then I would add any veg and any extra liquid you feel you need and slap the lid back on and allow to cook until everything is tender then add gravy granules etc to taste

hope thats some kind of help-just yell if it doesn't make sense :D

Thanks MrsMcC! My lentils don't need precooking-as soon as I get my mince I shall be sorting this out... Sunday evening I shall be busy as usual!

Un sou est un sou
  • empy
    empy Posts: 325 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hi all, Can I put my name down for this challenge. October was a disaster for me budget wise, so November I must stay in my budget. I want to say £200 for November.
    I have already got quite a bit in left in freezer and cupboards so hopefully will be able to save quite a bit of the budget this month.

take care all

Emma xx
    OS Grocery Challenge
    August £250/ £103.44 left
  • moanymoany
    moanymoany Posts: 2,877 Forumite
    Options
    cw18 wrote: »
    It's a relief to know I'm not the only one who weighs everything.... DH and DS thought I was nuts when I started this back in June (certain things I've always weighed, but most I never did).

We just dropped from 80g each of rice and pasta to 70g, and no-one's said anything. Don't "do" porridge at the moment (other stuff needs using up). Potatoes I do about 700g between three of us for boiled, 730-750g when doing jackets, or 800-850g for mash.

The cost per head per main meal has dropped big time in this household. It is partly due to being able to get out for Whoospie goods 2 or 3 times a day (when the weather and inclination takes me), but looking back over what we've had portion control (and padding cheap frozen value mince with green lentils) has also had a very big part to play in it. So even if I couldn't get as many Whoopsies in future, there's still no need for our grocery bills to soar back to what they used to be !!!!

Tomorrow is pay day for me, but I'm working on calendar months so November doesn't start until Saturday -- hence I still have time to stock take/menu plan.

I'm sure that it was way back in the mists of time that I read on here to weigh as part of portion control. I'm now shocked at how much stodge we eat and I'm going to take a leaf out of your book and reduce the amounts.

Have you tried padding out mince with dried soya mince? It works very well. I don't buy much mince - goes in spurts for when it's on offer.
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,627 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I bought a bag of dried soya for that purpose -- which I had to hide so DH and DS didn't see it (they'd be looking for that, but don't think to look for lentils). Problem is I can't remember where I hid it :rotfl:
    Cheryl
  • marrbett
    marrbett Posts: 1,798 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ok, deep breath, hi everyone.
    1st challenge for me, I keep wondering if i can do this, actually stick to a plan for a whole month??!!!
    I'm gonna have a darn good go. We are a family of 6 and already eat quite healthily,but I must get my food budget under control.
    I'm going to aim a bit high and try for £300.
    I figure that £60 per week, plus extra for things like bread flour which I buy from Wessex Mill in 16kg bags and veg box. I'm going to try and get all in for £60 after a while of being disciplined, but don't quite trust myself yet!!
    I realise that for lots of you, £300 for a family of 6 is still loads,but it will be better for me to achieve this than to crash and burn and be put off forever!!
    Wish me luck, as I do all of you for yours.
    marrbett
  • scotsaver
    Options
    Morning everyone - just got back from Asda so updated my total, £88.50 spent so far but I now have the next 4 weeks Sunday roasts sorted, bacon, sausages etc for the next 4 weeks and also managed to get some extras to stash away for Xmas so spends don't look as bad as first thought.

Have made Hobnobs, Iced Buns and Caramel Shortcake this week to keep the kids topped up in sweet things as it's Half Term, also made a Tiramisu last night as DD2 had a friend over to stay for Dinner.

Dinner tonight is going to be a recipe from an old Sophie Grigson book of mine, it's Belly Pork, potatoes,pears etc all slow cooked in one dish - looks yummy and as the Belly Pork was so cheap I thought I would give it a try. Never cooked with it before so if it's a success then I shall pass it on to you all.;)

Have a good day everyone.:D
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• echelon101
    Options
    Went to Waitrose to experiment with some Tumeric

The price on the shelve said 79p the till said 46p

I wasn't going to argue
    Buy for value not cost.
    Feb Grocery = £55.87 / 80
  • mummygems
    mummygems Posts: 359 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Could you please put me down for £350 for November please.

Am just off to tally up October and update my sig but I think I may have actually come under budget (by about £1 but still) and this will be the first time since I started this about 8 months ago so am very happy indeed.

Thank you all for the inspiration, the time and effort to help me with my questions and just for making this GC what it is.
    2 adults and 3 children DD (14), DD (12) & DS (10) :smileyhea and 2 mental beagles.
    Paying off debt bit by bit
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family