PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

November 2008 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• allie23
    allie23 Posts: 1,858 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Kaz, I am also nearly half way through my budget for the month :eek: and have franitically been looking for ways to spend less over the next 3 weeks.

At least I am aware of this and can take action. Before doing this challenge I would just have kept on over-spending.

Spent around £15 in Tesco yesterday as I needed new bread making stuff and otehr bits and bobs.

Allie
    Save 12k in 2024 Challenge
    Frugal living Challenge 2024
  • tattoed_bum
    tattoed_bum Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    Options
    hi, how about a few things like this

toad in the hole .very cheap and filling (if you cook and chop the sausage before it adding to the mix you use a lot less sausage and no-one notices the difference .
    follow this with some frozen angel delight .only 8p a pack
    pasta with cheese ,bacon and pineapple is gorgeous and one of my faves
    home made rice pudding with raisins is cheep and filling
    egg noodles with chicken
    home made pizza (the kids with love making these ,i cheat and use a hovis bread mix this will make 6 good size pizzas)

have a good try at a menu plan using whats in your stock cupboard and freezer ,

also home made fish cakes or fish pie are both cheap and good if you buy some frozen fish fillets a little goes a long way in these
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    Mumolulu wrote: »
    Our current situation, through no fault of our own, has ended us up having a £100 a month food budget for 4 of us till at least January. I normally spend 50-60 on food a week, so this is a real challenge, and one which I will have a bloody good go at but I need some starting points please.

Hi there :beer: Good luck with your budget. I'll add this thread to the current Grocery Challenge; you'll get more support and help to keep on track there ;)

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • natzini
    natzini Posts: 561 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi everyone...
    I'm going to do mince with lentils in the slow cooker today but have no idea how to do it. Do I add the lentils and water first then the meat? Should I brown the meat first? Should I just chuck in the meat, water, lentils and passata and hope for the best?

Please help!

Un sou est un sou
  • andrinaperry
    Options
    I have totally lost the plot this month, I had a car accident which hasleft me very shook up, no excuses though.

Can I please have £300 for this month again and I will try harder, oh I sound like a school teacher.,

thak you I find this thread invalueable for me.

Andrina
  • ladyroughneck
    Options
    Hi all, just in quickly before i go to w**k (new job!) to declare £173.74 for october and please can you put me down for £180 for november.Will try and catch up older posts later
    :j

• MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Natzini

Do you have lentils that need soaking/pre-cooking?

If not then I would put the mince in the slow cooker first (on high if you have settings)and allow to cook (don't add any liquid yet as the meat will make some ;) )
    Once the meat is coloured I would add the lentils (and any porridge oats if using) and stir and allow to cook for about 30 mins -so they absorb the meat juices :D
    Then I would add any veg and any extra liquid you feel you need and slap the lid back on and allow to cook until everything is tender then add gravy granules etc to taste

hope thats some kind of help-just yell if it doesn't make sense :D
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • Primula
    Primula Posts: 953 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everyone
    This is my very first post on here, I have been reading the forums for a wee while now and I have to say what a wonderful bunch you are, and real inspiration. I have to say, this is very nerve wracking posting my first post and I hope I am doing it right?! Apologies if I am doing this completely wrong! Food is one of my biggest wastes, I always end up buying too much and chucking it away before the next shop. I have been really trying hard to economise and you are all such an inspiration so can I please join in your November grocery challenge - can you please put me down for £300. Thank you so much and apologies if I am doing this all the wrong way, please forgive me, being a "newbie".
    Thank you.
    x
  • princess_leia_3
    Options
    Welcome Primula, nothing wrong with your post at all :D You can always make a signature by going to the 'User CP' on the green menu bar at top of page, and then you can keep track of what you are spending!
    Good luck, you have conquered the first hurdle of setting a budget so well done!
    I also hate food waste and its my main reason to do the GC as its just like chucking money in the bin!
    Sealed pot Member target £200 - No. 151
    GC Yearly £3k so far £1097 May£220/£300
    £1k in 100 days so far - £235 :p
    Snowball debt free calculator says DEC 09 - lets hope we can do it!

• stefejb
    stefejb Posts: 1,725 Forumite
    Options
    Ok - I'm in this month with a generous (i hope) £300. I seem to have lost my way a bit lately
    I'm going to feed our children non-organic food and with the money saved take them to the zoo - half man half biscuit 2008
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure