PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

OS meet up?

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    When I was young it was called the Lewisham Gaumont and I paid £5.00 ( a weeks wages in those days ) to see the Beatles there. I also saw Cliff Richard ,he was wearing a black shirt and a pink tie and suit !!! and curled his lip like Elvis (but wasn't as good though) great theatre though and very popular for kids for 'Saturday morning pictures' and if it was your birthday you would go up on stage and everyone would sing Happy birthday and you would get a free ice cream tub with a little wooden spoon.most of the kids who went there had several 'birthdays a year':):) me included :) There was also The Rex which was a lot smaller,if the train went past you could hardly hear the soundtrack ,and further up the High Street past C&As the Prince of Wales. Entrance for us kids was 7d (3p) or if you were flush a shilling got you in the circle. Every area of south London had at least one if not several cinema's Lee had a 'flea-pit' which showed very old movies from pre-war but it was the cheapest to get into and if you were 'hopping the wag' from school and it was raining it was at least dry and out of the way of both your Mum and the dreaded 'school board man'
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I used to take the kids to the cinema in Catford and also to the one in Woolwich, neither of which exist anymore. What a pity!
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • remmie
    remmie Posts: 122 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Oh no, OH and I went to see Love Story at Catford in the days when we were loved up, (thats after going up West to see it when it first came out!)
  • Caterina
    Options
    Would anyone like to propose a Saturday in July to put in diary for a Lewisham fish and chips (or salad and mushy peas, or chips and beans) lunch meet? Or any other version of that, followed by a visit to the Reminiscence centre in Blackheath?
  • savingforoz
    savingforoz Posts: 1,118 Forumite
    Options
    At present any Saturday is good for me - will do my best to come along, although money is a bit tight from now up to when I go abroad. Will check out the cheap Megabus deals!

Salad and mushy peas sound good! x
    Life is not a dress rehearsal.
  • Caterina
    Options
    savingforoz, looking forward to seeing you again! I shall wait for a few responses and then set a date. Won't be for a few days as I am going to be away (on and off) until 20th June, though.

Love to all xxx
  • annie123
    annie123 Posts: 4,256 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    July is out for me at the weekends, I've got my brothers birthday and he's here in the UK for it for a change:j hubby's birthday, step mums birthday and my wedding anniversary, so I'm either cooking and prep for BBq's etc or at a lunch, or away visiting, so I'm out for this one.

Hope you all have a nice time:)
  • Caterina
    Options
    Aw, Annie, we will have to do something for August then won't we? x
  • ifonlyitwaseasier
    Options
    sounds good to me, am free most of july/august weekends axcept for weekend 21/22 aug, thats my anni :)
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• Caterina
    Options
    Hi all

As I have started a new job and been given a new allotment, at the moment I seem to be busier than ever so I am not planning to organise any meet in the near future. However, if anyone else decides to organise something, I shall be happy to come along too if time, family and vegetables permit!

Once I adjust to the new situation I am sure I shall be able to carve some more time for myself and then I shall be able to start again with the SE London meets.

Love to all and hope some of you will take the initiative to get a different meeting going!

xxx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport