We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Electronic Cigarette

Options

Comments

• Soubrette
    Soubrette Posts: 4,118 Forumite
    Options
    Any wrote: »
    Yeah, I know... Chocolate is not good for you (most of NHS's money si actually used by FAT people), cars with strong engines (they say that they destroy our planet), too much sex apparently can be bad for you....I can continue...
    I think every person have their own, so why keep repeating and attacking just smokers I don't understand...
    I hope you walk to work OP. Otherwise this post of yours would be just hypocracy...

I'm sorry Any but some of the above is not true.

A quick google shows that smoking related diseases cost the NHS 2.7 billion a year and fat related diseases cost £2 billion.

That means that 35% more is spent on smoking related diseases than on obesity related ones.

Sou
  • JoolzS
    JoolzS Posts: 824 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Maybe smoking related diseases cost in the region of £2.7 billion each year, but tax revenue from cigarettes and other tobacco products adds nearly £10 billion to the government coffers each year. As most food products are exempt from VAT, my guess is that obesity costs a whole lot more in real terms.

Julie
  • ailuro2
    ailuro2 Posts: 7,540 Forumite
    Options
    The thing to consider is whether you think you'll end up addicted to these plastic ciggies instead, as it's still feeding all of your habit - supplying nicotine AND giving you something to do with your hands. Then you will know whether it's the right method for you.;)

I think it would be more MSE to visit your GP, get some NRT from there, also a support group if you think it would help.

I stopped more than nine years ago, smoked for 18 years before that, did it with patches for 4 or 5 weeks then felt I could go it alone. It was only once my nose started to clear that I realised how awful I must have smelled - I lived in a house of smokers so never knew what smoke-free smelled like.:rolleyes: My DH only managed to stop, imho, because he went on roll-up cigs for a few months first (a lot cheaper too!), our thinking is there was less 'extra' chemicals in the baccy compared to a packet of normal cigs.

He still used patches, for the full 12 weeks, and we decided that we would save the money and go on holiday of a lifetime with it, otherwise the money would be absorbed into household budget and we wouldn't 'feel' the reward.

I'm very glad to say we are still stopped, and still manage some fantastic holidays - not every year, but we'd never have done that while still smoking!
    Member of the first Mortgage Free in 3 challenge, no.19
    Balance 19th April '07 = minus £27,640
    Balance 1st November '09 = mortgage paid off with £1903 left over. Title deeds are now ours.
  • LucyTheDwarf
    Options
    One of my friends tried these - she said it was great, was trying to use them to cut down. However, after having it stolen on a night out, replacing it, and having it stolen again (basically, in both instances she was told to give it up, or have her nose broken - she's a dainty size 8, not much fight in her), she's decided it's too expensive to replace, and has gone back to normal (far more expensive really, but less steal-able)cancer sticks. So, beware, you may be mugged for them.
    Target Cash Net Worth: £25K by January 2012
    Progress
    May-08
    19.0%; May-09 40.0%; May-10 63.0%; May-11 58.4%; Jun-11 58.5%; Jul-11 58.9%; Aug-11 58.7%; Sep-11 59.0%
  • jeannieblue
    jeannieblue Posts: 4,761 Forumite
    Options
    Anyone tried them? And if so, how, what and where?? :D

Appreciate all comments!

Thanks
    Genie
    Master Technician
  • jeannieblue
    Options
    No one with bad habits out there at the mo then........ :o
    Genie
    Master Technician
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    No one with bad habits out there at the mo then........ :o

Loads ......................

But not for discussion on a family forum :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • jeannieblue
    Options
    pteebody wrote: »
    whats an e-cig?
    Exactly. That is what I am trying to find out......... some info etc.
    Genie
    Master Technician
  • jeannieblue
    Options
    I'm thinking that they are not that popular??......... Not a good idea??.........
    Genie
    Master Technician
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills