PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Chicken legs....inspiration needed....help!!!

Options

Comments

• Psykicpup
    Psykicpup Posts: 1,398 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Lemon & Garlic?
    I zest a lemon, squeeze the juice over the meat & add a few slices around, under & on the chicken. I put a few slices of fresh garlic around too in the same way as the lemon & sprinkle with garlic powder & the lemon zest .... season as you normally would although it can take a little more pepper. Tent with foil for 1st half of cooking time.. turn the chick & baste if desired ... you can freeze the resulting juices for adding to a gravy a different day...
    I THINK is a whole sentence, not a replacement for I Know

Supermarket Rebel No 19:T
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Options
    easy marinade is olive or sunflower oil about half a cup, a couple of tablespoons of honey and one of dijon mustard (use a bit less than half amount of English mustard as its much stronger) pinch of salt and pepper and mix then put the drumsticks in a large freezer bag pour in the sauce (or measure it all into the freezer bag first) seal the bag and shake and leave it in the fridge overnight. tip the lot out onto a baking sheet or tray and cook. or another favourite is just to marinate in honey and lemon juice with some finely chopped garlic and salt and pepper and just add a spoonful or so of cajun seasoning (Spice section in supermarket) or paprika.
  • empressemma
    Options
    Hello, been lurking on this forum for a few weeks, and its now time to post!

Got 6 chicken legs reduced in sainsburys today (must've been there at the right time!!) but what should I do with them??

OH doesn't really like meat on the bone (or chicken that isn't free range, but cheap meat is cheap meat!) so whats the best way of cooking it?

Wondered maybe slow cooker? I have one of those small 2-portion ones so would prob only get the meat in....

Any suggestions gratefully accepted!!

Thanks, Emma :D
  • parsonswife8
    parsonswife8 Posts: 1,900 Forumite
    Options
    I would marinate them in some Nando's sauce, grill and serve with a bit of rice or chips and salad and eat them with my fingers.:D

;) Felines are my favourite ;)
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi emma,

These threads have lots of ideas that should help:

Chicken legs....inspiration needed....help!!!

Chicken legs&veg - make in one pot?

Can chicken legs be cooked in a slow cooker?

I'll add your post to the first link later to keep the suggestions together.

Pink
  • sarahg1969
    sarahg1969 Posts: 6,694 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Remove the skin, and put them in the slow cooker with chunks of potato, onion, carrots and celery (or whichever of those you can fit in if it's only small). I love chicken legs done in the slow cooker.
  • empressemma
    Options
    Thanks for the replies!!

Just remembered that I bought a large stockpot in the sales, so maybe I could slow-cook it on the hob to make the meat come off the bone??

(I usually boil chicken carcasses, but the meat never seems to fall off the bone as its supposed to, do I not boil it for long enough??)

Thanks!!
  • LondonDreamer
    Options
    My DH hates meat on the bone as well (particularly legs) except when I make piri piri chicken. I use the recipe from Jamie's 30 minute meals (easy) and no complaints.

The one time I did chicken in a slow cooker, it definitely did fall off the bone but DH hated the texture of it and I wasn't that keen either. We seem to be in the minority though, because I hear nothing but raves about it on here!
  • sonastin
    sonastin Posts: 3,210 Forumite
    Options
    definitely a vote for slow cooker here. I can't be bothered with trying to extract meet from the bone - get bored before I get full - but from the SC, it just falls off and get way more meat than I'd ever manage otherwise even with all the patience in the world.
  • andygb
    andygb Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Chicken legs have to be the most under rated cut of meat available. They are cheap, taste good and are really versatile. They are made for the slow cooker, and like Sarah, I always remove the skin before cooking. By slow cooking rather than roasting, you end up with a lovely moist piece of meat which absorbs flavour from seasoning, spices and sauces.
    I favour tomato based sauces (1 tin of chopped tomatoes to 2 - 4 chicken legs), and always use a chopped onion and garlic mix (with seasoning and spices) in a large pot to brown the meat first. Depending what I fancy, I could use herbes de Provence and oregano for a Mediterranean type flavour, turmeric/chilli powder/garam masala for Indian flavour, and then add coarsely chopped vegetables.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure