Wireless - Look here! File & Printer Sharing too

Options

Comments

• avi_3
    avi_3 Posts: 311 Forumite
    Options
    Hi - I have a netgear dgn 834N wireless router, a desktop with xp home, and a laptop with xp pro. I managed to get the printer installed onto the laptop thanks to all the suggestions here (it is connected via usb to desktop).
    But i use zonealarm(free version) in both comps and with the zolealarm on, i cannot seem to share the printer.

How useful is to have zolealarm, as i understand the netgear router/modem allready has inbuilt firewall,
    Secondly if i were to continue using zolealarm, then can anyone help me suggest any changes i can make to keep the firewall(zonealram) on and also share the printer.
  • ManAtHome
    ManAtHome Posts: 8,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Win98 is pants with USB, Win98SE better, but still not perfect - you may be better off with a wired network card as Albertross suggested.

[edited] - suggested a PCI card, but after checking a couple out - no-go with Win98...
  • albertross_2
    Options
    Ever get the feeling you are wasting your time? :rolleyes:
  • debjay
    debjay Posts: 2,090 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sorry if this has been asked before but dd search and could not find answer:

I am considering taking up Sky's offer of Connect ( others not available in my area)

Up to 8Mb download speed – perfect for downloading music and video

40GB usage every month

One-off £20 activation fee

Just £5 a month

I need some technical advice though. I have a desktop pc currently with Tesco Broadband and cant get very fast speeds in my area. We also have a laptop, xbox 360 and 2 others desktop pcs in bedrooms. Would the free sky router be capable of enabling all these to be online at the same time or is it limited to say 4 at a time? What other bits of kit do we need? Will the slow speed be a problem?

Thanks in advance
  • albertross_2
    albertross_2 Posts: 8,932 Forumite
    Options
    yes it should be fine, most wireless routers allow 4 wired connections, and up to 255 wireless at the same time.
  • wolvesinwales
    Options
    Sorry for another what i believe might be another dumb question but it put doubt in my mind and apologies if it has already been posted i did search honest !
    My neice has just bought a Dell laptop without a wireless card. ( Dell Inspiron 1300 the £249 offer)

She has now tried to buy a wireless adaptor but has been asked if the laptop is wireless enabled ? My first thoughts were - no that is what the adaptor is wanted for ! but am now doubting my limited knowledge.
    Any help greatly appreciated.
    WHOOOOSHHHHHHHHH……..
    Blimey what was that ?
    That was your life mate
    Oh I wasn’t quite ready can I have another go ?
    Sorry mate only one per person.
  • albertross_2
    Options
    It should say on the order sheet whether it has wireless or not. 249 is quite cheap, so that may be because it doesn't have one.
  • pinkfluffybabe
    Options
    Hiya

Wonder if anyone can help. I have a wireless connection through a Belkin router. My own login (administrator) on the computer connects to the internet fine, however, my dad's login (user) won't find the connection at all, unless I am logged in and switch user to log him in :confused:

Is there a setting I need to change?

Thanks
    Not buying unnecessary toiletries 2024 14/53 UU, 11 IN
  • albertross_2
    Options
    make sure you have the same settings ticked in ie, tools, internet options, connections. and make him an administrator if that doesn't work.
  • gabbialice
    Options
    Hi, First of all thanks to all of you who give such good advice here. Only found this through the 'wireless router for £35' thread but have spent some time reading through all the previous posts.
    My problem is that I bought a Belkin 8021.11g modem/wireless router some time ago (quite a long time) and have never had it working. I have tried several times to set it up from scratch but I just get fed up with it and then leave it again. I am running XP on both desktop and laptop, they both have all the hardware required and everything does set up and fit together, so to speak, but it just won't work. Last time I tried I saw that the light under the phone icon stayed on. I looked it up somewhere and it says that the phone line isn't clear or something like that (sorry it was ages ago). Is there a way to clear this?
    Sorry to be so convoluted and thanks in advance for any advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure