Options

Comments

• JDPower
    JDPower Posts: 1,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 3 December 2009 at 11:11PM
    Options
    Oneday77 wrote: »
    I wouldn't risk it. There is no mention of abrand name.
    Also the seller admits in the Q+As that they will be sent out with a non-genuine (ie pirated) copy of Windows installed! Not the actions of a trustworthy seller (and I would think breaking, at the very least, eBay rules) and being sent from China could be any amount of fakery going on inside the pretty exterior.
  • LoneRifle
    Options
    Since we're on the topic of products from the East, I thought I would chip in and mention that I've recently bought something which looks similar to this:
    http://www.engadget.com/2009/06/12/norhtecs-199-gecko-edubook-and-its-aa-batteries-now-availabl/

The unique selling point of this netbook is that it uses 8 AA batteries, which make replacement of the things easier. The problem is that its processor is far too underpowered, even compared to the Intel Atom.

Anyway, NorhTec isn't the only company who has this. Their supplier, DMP Electronics, is also a partner with a few other distributors, one of which I've bought my Edubook from:
    http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/250193234/8_9_low_price_Win_XP.html

The total cost of mine, including upgrade to 1GB RAM, wifi, and DHL delivery, came up to £155, including the £20 international bank transfer that I had to execute. no OS though. I'll let you know my thoughts on this thing when I get my hands on it. Might even blog about it...
  • ohmochraich
    Options
    Oneday77 wrote: »
    I wouldn't risk it. There is no mention of abrand name. Other than the fact it has a larger than average screen size it is nothing special. Opt for a 10" model from a retailer od Brand you recognise.

The brand is IMIO :confused: -but I have never heard of it - according to the seller they are shipped direct from the factory. The feedback for those already received is good - but I think the 'non genuine' windows Xp is more than a little dodgy!:rolleyes:

think Ill keep hunting!
    :rotfl:If it weren't for stress I'd have no energy at all. First rule of acting: Whatever happens, look as if it were intended.;)
    Don't follow in my footsteps, I walk into walls:smileyhea When in doubt .............mumble.
    I may look busy, but I'm just confused.:T I smile because i have no idea what's going on.:rotfl:
  • Fairwinds
    Fairwinds Posts: 774 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Has anyone any thoughts on the Samsung N140? It is available on Amazon for £279. I am thinking of buying this but wondered if anyone had any personal experience. Unfortunately it isn't available at Costco as I would have preferred to buy it there to get their 2 year warranty. However, the only one they stocked in my price range was the Toshiba NB200 which has only a 3-cell battery and no Bluetooth.

I mainly want it to take on holiday - so that I can surf the internet, keep in touch with my son by webcam, etc. At home I will probably use it in the kitchen to look up recipes and perhaps do a bit of word processing. I would probably prefer a matt screen. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

I bought that very laptop (and supplier and price) two weeks ago but unfortunately I can't offer any advice on how good it is as its sitting in its box on top of the wardrobe, waiting on Christmas day ( present for my daughter. The 9 hr battery life was what sold me on it ( price in carphone warehouse at the time was £330)
  • JDPower
    JDPower Posts: 1,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    but I think the 'non genuine' windows Xp is more than a little dodgy!:rolleyes:
    Illegal is the word you're looking for :p
  • Maximouse
    Maximouse Posts: 1,608 Forumite
    Options
    Hi All, I've been promising myself a netbook for some time (just really to take out and about when I'm out working - I already have a decent laptop) and I was wondering if anyone had any views on this particular offer from QVC which is 'today's special value', it is a HP 110 Windows 7 10.1" 250GB HDD Wifi Netbook with an additional software USB Key, Sleeve, & Mouse, (so it has a larger HD than is available anywhere else for this range - they've done it especially for QVC) and has the extra case and software. It can also be bought on 4 easy payments without interest. Any thoughts before I hit buy it now would be much appreciated. Oh and also, if anyone is also considering it, you can get 5% back on the cashback sites http://www.qvcuk.com/ukqic/qvcapp.aspx/app.detail/params.item.562612/walk.html.%7Cmetadrill,html?cm_re=Promos-_-P2-_-PD:562612
    :snow_laug Maximouse loves the build up to Christmas :santa2:
  • Donnie
    Donnie Posts: 9,862 Forumite
    Options
    Omega_1 wrote: »
    A big down-side with Linux is am still unable to purchase a PAYG broadband wi-fi dongle that works on this system (unless have missed an opportunity to do so somewhere ?) XP etc no problem with any of suppliers.

I'm quite sure that one of the first updates to the Linpus Lite system once I connected to the Internet was Huawei 3G dongle support. Have you been downloading and installing the updates?
    I didn't test it though, as I went ahead and installed XP.

You need to go to the acer aspire one forum....if that is the Netbook that you use.
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Donnie wrote: »
    I'm quite sure that one of the first updates to the Linpus Lite system once I connected to the Internet was Huawei 3G dongle support. Have you been downloading and installing the updates?
    I didn't test it though, as I went ahead and installed XP.

It does work.
  • chocolatepennyfarthing
    Options
    Im looking at getting my son a netbook for Xmas. Would use for schoolwork, facebook/messenger, music and websurfing. thought this looked good
    MSI Wind U100 10in Mini Laptop - Black

My concern is short battery life. Is there an alternative to above that anyone can suggest that has a longer battery life but all of the features that would be ok to do above?
    Jan Grocery challenge
    Budget £350 - Spent £64.45 to date
  • Maximouse
    Maximouse Posts: 1,608 Forumite
    Options
    Im looking at getting my son a netbook for Xmas. Would use for schoolwork, facebook/messenger, music and websurfing. thought this looked good
    MSI Wind U100 10in Mini Laptop - Black

My concern is short battery life. Is there an alternative to above that anyone can suggest that has a longer battery life but all of the features that would be ok to do above?

Look at the post I did in the early hours of this morning on the previous page - haven't had any response from anyone yet, so I've ordered it anyway.
    :snow_laug Maximouse loves the build up to Christmas :santa2:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport