MOT Cost Cutting discussion

Options

Comments

• KingGooner
    Options
    The specific thread appears to be closed, but does not include the East Cheshire centre in Crewe.

Cheshire East Council, Crewe

Pyms Lane.
    Crewe.
    CW1 3PJ

• bobobski
    Options
    The Cambridge City Council MOT Centre isn't listed either: https://www.cambridge.gov.uk/mot
  • geeman64
    Options
    aylesbury vale district council does mot`s as do buckinghamshire fire service for the general public
  • Xiara13
    Xiara13 Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    Although it is an almost unique model commercially, Whiteinch MOT Centre don't do repairs and offer an impartial service. There is no incentive to fails your car in order to benefit financially. They will also repairs small items, light bulbs and windscreen wipers, charging only for materials.
    They test cars, vans, limousines, three wheelers, trikes and motorbikes.
    They are located in the west end of Glasgow, near Partick and Scotstoun, at 636 South Street.
    Phone 0141 9540983
  • family5p
    Options
    The article on the website says that councils are required by law to make their MOT centres available to the general public. In the past, I used the Birmingham city council MOT station in Montague road twice without any problem. Now they refuse to book me in, citing staff shortages. I tried a month ago and today - the answer is the same. Surely they must be in breach of the law. I would appreciate any advice where to complain, from people familiar with the legal side of this. I guess I can write to my local councillor, but what exactly does the law say?

I can take my car elsewhere for an MOT (e.g., a neighbouring council) but as a matter of principle, if I have the right to use their service, they must give me that right.
  • s_b
    s_b Posts: 4,463 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    family5p wrote: »
    The article on the website says that councils are required by law to make their MOT centres available to the general public. In the past, I used the Birmingham city council MOT station in Montague road twice without any problem. Now they refuse to book me in, citing staff shortages. I tried a month ago and today - the answer is the same. Surely they must be in breach of the law. I would appreciate any advice where to complain, from people familiar with the legal side of this. I guess I can write to my local councillor, but what exactly does the law say?

I can take my car elsewhere for an MOT (e.g., a neighbouring council) but as a matter of principle, if I have the right to use their service, they must give me that right.

would it not be wise that due to staff shortages that you would be best served elsewhere if you push them to test your car?
    the countries full of testing stations willing to do a fair mot ,ask family members or go on the facebook thing if you are new to the area,just stay away from fast fit type places and large faceless garages with offers beyond the real world
  • straighttalker
    Options
    Stop being an idiot and pick somewhere else to go and have an MOT test. Surely if you force them to do an MOT and they begrudgingly do one, they're going to be that much more strict and find fails on your car for the sake of it. Thats what I would do if I were in their position.
  • EdGasket
    EdGasket Posts: 3,503 Forumite
    Options
    I use my local back street indy garage.

He doesn't do MOT'S but takes the car a few miles away.

I tried that once; complete disaster. When I collected my car it had suffered crash damage with the back street garage and the MoT place blaming each other. Never again. I only take my car where they will do the MoT while I wait and I can see what is being done with my cars.
  • bery_451
    bery_451 Posts: 1,818 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    family5p wrote: »

Yeah I am in the same situation as you as I cant book a test there as well after just phoning them now.
  • bery_451
    bery_451 Posts: 1,818 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ok so does anybody know any MOT places in Birmingham that only just do MOT's not repairs? Looking for one that is backed up by good customer reviews.

Also if a MOT place claims that they only do MOT's but suspiciously you see a sister garage repair company next to it then be careful as I wont be interested in these. More likely these are owned by the same 1 owner.

So yeah just looking for a MOT place that just do MOT's not next or near to any other repair/garages.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback