Heating oil dropping like a stone

Options

Comments

• Lynt_3
    Lynt_3 Posts: 235 Forumite
    Options
    News headline "Price of oil soaring again: up to $120 a barrel" !!

!!!!!!??!!!

:mad:
  • smallblueplanet
    Options
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7630513.stm
    At one point during trading, the price of oil rose by more than $25. The volatility in the price has been exacerbated by the fact that the contract for the supply of oil in October expires on Monday.
    B*gger our tank is running bone-dry!!!! :mad:

How much longer dare I gamble??? :(
  • Lynt_3
    Lynt_3 Posts: 235 Forumite
    Options
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7630513.stm

B*gger our tank is running bone-dry!!!! :mad:

How much longer dare I gamble??? :(

Getting beyond a joke now. :(
    Feel for you smallblueplanet. We can't win. God knows how much higher/lower it will go. You may just have to bite the bullet, and get your order in.
    Good luck.
  • N9eav
    N9eav Posts: 4,742 Forumite
    Options
    Last Friday was a good time to buy which is why I posted the thread.

I had used the same supplier for the last 8 years, but after trying boiler juice, I found that loyalty means nothing! My neighbour is the same, he was loyal to one company, but they never gave him the cheapest deal. You just got to shop about and chose a time where it drops to a reasonable amount. It will probably rise again this week....
    NO to pasty tax We won!!!! Just shows that people power works! Don't be apathetic to your cause!
  • smallblueplanet
    Options
    N9eav wrote:
    Last Friday was a good time to buy which is why I posted the thread.

No-one has mentioned that this rise is also due to a monthly deadline in buying - November's oil prices are currently only $109/barrel!
    N9eav wrote:
    You just got to shop about and chose a time where it drops to a reasonable amount. It will probably rise again this week....

The problem with that is unless you can afford to pay for your oil in a 'single go' then you are tied to the company that will allow you to pay by direct debit. Shopping around will at least give you a price per litre to attempt to bargain with though.
  • nesssie1702
    Options
    The joys of having oil fired central heating.....
  • oap
    oap Posts: 596 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, I wish we had a wind turbine, but not worth it at our age, you can get good grants for solar heating etc, but this is wrong place for that discussion.
    oap:eek:
  • N9eav
    Options

The problem with that is unless you can afford to pay for your oil in a 'single go' then you are tied to the company that will allow you to pay by direct debit. Shopping around will at least give you a price per litre to attempt to bargain with though.

That's a problem. MY boss at work pays by direct debit and I know that last month he paid 5p a litre more than me. Thats' a lot. I got caught up with my oil to the point where I saved through the summer and then had enough to buy in advance. But now with oila round 50p plus that's a lot more to find.
    NO to pasty tax We won!!!! Just shows that people power works! Don't be apathetic to your cause!
  • nesssie1702
    Options
    I try to cope with it by hiving off £80 a month into an account (mine, not the fuel company's) so that I know that I'll have money to pay for the oil. Think I might have to raise that to £100 though :(
  • N9eav
    Options
    I am the same £100 a month is a lot. I don't hardly use any in the summer, so hopefully should have a surplus next August :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure