Good restaurants/eateries

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in N. Ireland
168 replies 41K views
Jon_CJon_C Forumite
465 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in N. Ireland
Since a negative thread has been started, I thought we needed some balance.

Here are a few random recommendations:

Belfast

Breakfast/lunch: Graffitti (Atrocious spelling but they're stuck with it now and they do great brunches so we'll forgive them. Ormeau Road, just up from the former Ormeau Bakery.)

Reasonably priced cafe with a pretty broad selection. You can get a great fry with black pudding, hash browns etc as extras or there is always the special omelette which is just fantastic.

Spelling aside, my only other gripe is that the smallness of the place means that sometimes you have to go elsewhere - but again, that's just a reflection of its popularity. Not sure what it's like for evening meals but I have heard good things.

Lunch/dinner:

The Morning Star (Pottinger's Entry, close to Specsavers, so you MSEs will know it I'm sure). Best steak in Belfast (in my humble opinion), especially the 24oz rump. My friends tell me the rest of the menu is top notch too.

The place isn't posh and although the prices reflect that, the excellent quality of food and service are what you would expect in other places that charge much more.

NB - GO UPSTAIRS! I wasn't fussed on the buffet downstairs, nor on the Sunday service when upstairs was closed. To be fair, this was months ago. I've stuck to upstairs ever since and never had a bad meal there.

Olio (Brunswick Street/Blackstaff Square, behind Robinson's bar complex). I've only been three times but I'll stick my neck out because the food was so damn good. We were initially wondering why the chef seemed to be taking a bit longer than you'd expect on making our lunch but when it arrived, we tasted that the extra time and effort had been invested wisely.

Indie Spice Cafe (Stranmillis Road, where the shops and hairdressers are.) Indian food, obviously, and aside from the great menu, what makes the place particularly special are the funky decor and the lunch-time offer of two courses for £5. Brilliant. Take-away/delivery service also available.

So there are a few places that just came into my head. Who's up next?

Replies

• not-so-civilnot-so-civil Forumite
    176 Posts
    Add to this the Thai Village on Dublin Road. Went to it after the screening of "The Manchurian Candidate" - food first class. THere was a problem with the bill to my benefit, told the waitress and had coffee on the house.
  • D.A.D.A. Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    The Go-Sun in Ballymena - the original and still the best in Ballymena. It's doesn't pretend to be anything more than it is (just a normal Chinese restaurant), but the food is always first rate, and extremely good value for money. Supposedly they now have a Thursday night buffet as well.

Also, Gibson's (aka The Wayside Inn), near Parkgate does a superb steak as well (no messing about, just a huge steak, chips, peas and onions), and is extremely cheap.
  • LeothecatLeothecat Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Coyle's - High St, Bangor
    Try the Ribeye (downstairs)

Papa Joe's - Hamilton Rd, Bangor
  • Pink.Pink. Forumite
    17.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've eaten in Papa Joes a couple of times with a crowd of friends. The service and food are good. Bistro atmostphere, bring your own wine.....not really the place for a romantic dinner for two.

What I have found is that when the bill arrives (not sure if it's cos there are usually more than six of us) they give us vouchers for 2 main courses for the price of one on Monday nights.

This means that following a girls night out, I usually go on Monday night a week or two later with my husband, for a cheap night out away from the kids.

Pink
  • arkonite_babearkonite_babe Forumite
    7.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would have to agree with DA on the Go Sun in Ballymena, the oldest chinese restaurant in Ballymena and still the best! ;D
  • IvanOpinionIvanOpinion Forumite
    21.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A few more from Bangor area

Ruby King (chinese restaurant) great lunch time and early evening specials

Villa Tuscana (Italian Restaurant), only been there a couple of times but food was excellent

The Point (bar/restaurant), for something a little bit different (don't like the location but then you can't have everything). Also like the Bryansburn and not forgetting, Pier 36 in Donaghadee.

I love the food in Papa Joes but have always found the service to be deplorable (which is the only reason why we do not go more often). One day after waiting for over half-an-hour for the bill (and the place was not that busy but the waitress was too busy talking to someone down the back) we decided to phone the front desk. When the girl finally answerd the phone we asked for the bill ... she still took another 15 minutes to get it for us.

Ivan

PS: I also miss Lord Nelsons (although we are booked in the Stevedore for Boxing Day).
    Don't waste time on other peoples first world problems
  • LeothecatLeothecat Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Ivan - have to agree about Villa Tuscana. Food is good but service not that great. Last time I was there I had a delicious meal then was asked if I would like dessert or tea or coffee. I answered that I would like a cappacino (spelling?) to which the waitress relpied "and would you like any tea or coffee with that?"
    :o
  • Pink.Pink. Forumite
    17.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of my very favourite places to eat out is the Old Cross (upstairs), in Newtownards.

There are two menu's to choose from, the bistro and the a la carte.  Depends on your wallet / preferences as to which one you go for.  They have no problems if you wish to mix and match between both menus.

Bistro menu:
    Cheap but very cheerful.  Various options from Burgers and Scampi to Duck confit.  
    My favourite on this menu is the Chump steak served on a bacon mash with caremalised onions and a red wine jus (£8.50), followed closely by the Cajun chicken stir-fry (£7.95), served sizzling.

A la carte menu:
    As you would expect, it's more expensive than the bistro menu, but in my opinion, not necessarily better.
    Main courses include......
    Dry aged Sirloin served with shallots, mushrooms etc and choice of sauce (£13.95).
    Grilled smoked haddock with sunblushed tomato mash, basil cream and crispy spinach (£11.95).
    Crispy barbary duck breast with corriander and chive pesto, honey roast veg and red onion marmalade (£12.50).

The last meal we had here was from the bistro menu....
    Two main courses, one side order, three drinks and two coffees, £24.50.

We go here every couple of weeks for a cheap night out to escape from the kids....... 
    The food and the service are excellent.  There is always a roaring fire and often live music in the corner (this can be a bit hit and miss depending on the band playing).
    Thankfully the music never seems overpowering and doesn't begin until after food has stopped being served.

I have no connection to this restaurant.  Just wanted to tell you about one of my favourite places to go.

Pink

Edited to say.....I've given more details from the a la carte menu, as the waitress allowed me to 'borrow' a copy of this.  Sadly, no matter how hard I tried, (in the name of mse research, of course),  I couldn't get the bistro menu to fit into my handbag!
  • Anyone got suggestions for nice meal near the Waterfront Hall??

Myself, 2 kids and 1 senior need a nice meal after the panto on the 22 Dec - dont really want Xmas fare. Just a reasonable choice of grub and dont have to wait forever to get served.

Hope you can help ;D

PS If your in Comber try McBrides on the Square - it brill. Great food and plenty of it, good pleasant service and priced accordingly.
  • arkonite_babearkonite_babe Forumite
    7.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Another place I'd recommend highly, The U Tree Restaurant in Ahoghill.

Fantastic feed! Portions that are brilliant value and the food is second to none.

Have been in here quite a few times and never had a bad meal.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Tesco Clubcard rule tweaks

Be careful when converting points to Cineworld

MSE News

£148 of Ciaté nail polish for £35

Via its Advent calendar (norm £59 delivered)

MSE Deals