Cashback Credit Card Discussion Area

in Credit cards
324 replies 52.4K views
MSE_MartinMSE_Martin Money Saving ExpertMoneySaving Expert
8.3K Posts
Forumite
If you want to ask a question or discuss cashback cards please reply to this message.  (this relates to the following article - click here)

Please note the article was updated on 20 June 04, so some of the earlier discussions below may no longer be relevant.

PS I am especially interested in feedback on the Bank of Ireland Card for those who sign up and try it - as this is a new recommendation from me.
Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000

Replies

• johnllewjohnllew Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Amex Blue have a 5% cashback offer for the first month - see this thread.
  • MSE_MartinMSE_Martin Money Saving Expert MoneySaving Expert
    8.3K Posts
    Forumite
    True - unfortuantely that isnt the standard offer - its a special one - though via the link in that thread you can get it.

The equations simple - if you have a big purchase to make - go for the 5% in month one deal. Though do note - there is a limit (from memory only) of £50 extra cashback with that deal (i should really check that before i write it here, but with the server being upgraded, can't quite do it this second - sorry)

martin
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
  • SystemSystem Forumite, Community Admin
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Community Admin
    Amex have a platinum Credit Card that offers up to 2% cash back if you spend more than £5000 but it is less if you dont make the £5K

An annual rebate on the aggregate amount of all Transactions (other than the exclusions stated above) will be payable to you by us at the following rates:
    0.5% for aggregate amounts up to £2,000; and
    1% for aggregate amounts from £2,001 to £5,000; and
    2% for aggregate amounts in excess of £5,000

http://home3.americanexpress.com/uk/Personal/Cards/benefits/PC_Ben_AmPlatinumCreditInfo.asp

;D

John
    8.3K Posts
    Forumite
    Thats a cracking spot.  I must admit as a general rule i avoid the higher income Plat card offerings from general pieces.

I knew about that card, but had been told it was only a direct mail offer - i didnt know they were now accepting invites on their website.  

It's a cracking deal in the long run for anyone spending over £6000 a year on the card.  Though for anyone around the limits better off sticking with standard Blue Amex

(bonus kudos points to you :) )
  • SystemSystem Forumite, Community Admin
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Community Admin
    I may have misunderstood, as T&c's are not my thing but the I understood it to be, if you cleared £5K then they give you 2% on the total spend for the year? But if you only spend between £2001 to £5000 only 1% on the total spend.

John ???
  • isasmurfisasmurf Forumite
    2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I don't know if it's worth mentioning, but all the cards mentioned in Martin's article (except the Circle One rebate card) are available through GreasyPalm.

Make sure you click on the moneysupermarket links to get to the providers website first to pay Martin's fees (it doesn't matter that you don't apply) and then go to GreasyPalm and apply through there and you will get the following

Amex Blue £12.50 cashback for instant acceptance
    Accucard £6 cashback for application
    EasyMoney £12.50 cashback for instant acceptance (reduces to £2.50 if further checks are required)
    More Th>n £12.50 cash for instant acceptance (reduces to £3.50 if further checks are required)

Unfortunately I signed up to two of these cards before I knew about GreasyPalm, so missed out on £25 :'(

If you're not a member of GreasyPalm be aware that they will not send you a cheque until you have £25 worth of cashback.
  • chaos2chaos2 Forumite
    89 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Tried to upgrade from a Blue Amercian Credit Card to the Platinum Credit Card. Was told like Martin said it is by invitation only.

Lady on the phone ask me to called between 9am and 5pm, speak to the application department to see if I qualify. So will call tomorrow to try to get the 2% as I always spent more than £5000 per year.
  • When I called I was told to apply on the web using the link, this then allows you to print off an application form that has to be sent back to Amex, you dont know if you are accepted at this point.

I am still waiting to hear :o
  • I was offered the Plat credit card, As far as Im aware its completely FOC (i use an amex charge for work) so get away with the fee.

I didnt realise they offered 2% cash back, I easily spend too much, but dont quite understand the rules... If my understanding is correct, If I spend over 5k per year, Ill get 2% on the final balance in cash back? is this right... If so, Im putting a call in first thing.

Thanks for pointing this out!
    its not being tight - it make sense...
    8.3K Posts
    Forumite
    Almost Nigel.  IT is tiered.  So you only earn 2% on spending above £5000, for the first £2,000 spending it is 0.5% for £2k to £5k it is 1%.  Hence it is only better than a 1% on all spend card for more than £7000

Either way if you spend more than £6k - go for it!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides