Forum Home» Phones & TV» Mobiles

NTL How to get 1.5mb service for 750kb price - Page 3

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

NTL How to get 1.5mb service for 750kb price

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Mobiles
46 replies 17.8K views

Replies

• I've been on NTL for the past 3-4 months. Should I give this a shot?
  • dfarrydfarry Forumite
    920 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Bloophead... if you don't try then you'll never know so get calling...

I would say your chances are slim... I only got the discount because I threathened to leave because I thought it was outrageous that new customers were pay less than long term customers like myself (7 years total)
  • Tony_H_3Tony_H_3 Forumite
    2.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've been on NTL for the past 3-4 months. Should I give this a shot?

If you thought you would be getting a faster service than that provided by standard ADSL, and that you would be able to get ADSL if you so choose then I guess you could play the "I've been mislead card" to atleast get an upload speed of 256kbps (side effect is a 1.5mb download).

Good luck.
  • Just telephoned NTL, after about 20 minutes of haggling I finally managed to get 1.5mb broadband for £18.99 for three months (I was paying £24.99 for 750mb). It is best to speak with customer relations direct on 0800 0520243 as they have more power than customer services.
  • does anyone know of anywhere that show a list of services provided by other companies other than NTL, some sort of price comparison so that I can prepare myself with info when I give them a ring.
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • I used the 'i'm going to cancel' trick the other day with NTL and saved myself £10 a month for 12 moths. They also informed me that the 1.5 mb service will be DOUBLED FREE OF CHARGE in January 05 giving you 3 mb connection for £37.99 :o
  • ZAPZAP Forumite
    51 posts
    I have been with NTL for 3 years now i think. I am currently with their 300k package. I am currently paying £18/m for internet (althought i have phone and TV with them too).

If i phones them up first and said that i wanted to cancel and because it wasn't fast enough and was too expensive, quoting Tesco's 512k package for a mere £2 extra, then hopefully they will upgrade mine to 700k yeh? If they do then that is fab!

Then i'll stick with that for a week or so and then phone them up and say that uploading is very slow and i need to do a lot of it so i still want to cancel and go to Tesco then would they then upgrade again to 1.5mb for the 256k upload while still paying £18?
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • I spoke to the customer relations people this monring hoping to get the same upgrade, as I have been paying £24.99 for the 750K service for about 2 years.

Their response was that the only way I could get the cheaper £12.99 new customer rate was to cancel my current contract and start a new one. When I suggested this was more of a pain for them than me, I suggested that there are other sevice providers who can offer a cheaper service (in a hope of getting her to reduce the price), she just said OK, there's nothing I can do thanks for being an NTL customer!!

I said to her do yo really want to loose me as a customer (my monthly broadband and phone bill is about £80) and she replied with "thats upto you!!", staggering.

Long and short is that I am not getting it any cheaper through NTL, need to start looking elsewhere.

Anyone know any cheap ISP's?

p.s. I did'nt want to cancel there and then and get the new service as she told me my phone number would change!!!, so might as well find a new ISP and phone company
  • dfarrydfarry Forumite
    920 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    That is terrible Tosh... I can't believe they would deal with you so abruptly as that....

I'd post a message on the NTL (Cable forum) to warn would be customers that sometime you can get stuck with service like that. Having been dealt ith in that way I would definately cancel my account.

Despite my messages about success and and cheap broadband blah de blah... I still have got some NTL issues... for example... we received our bill this morning and it doesn't show the discounted rate for broadband... So immediately I was on the phone and spoke to someone who was actually very helpful...

Basically Cancellations hadn't processed the discount they offered me - so consequently I have paid two months over what I should have done... They and I have agreed to over look this however and for the next 12 months they will credit £15 to my account (as FREE TALK UNLIMITED)...broadband will still show at the higher price on paper at least.
  • Well glad to hear that someone is having better luck than me dfarry!!!

I probably will cancel, just need to do a bit of research to find out who is the cheapest. I hear that f2s (https://www.f2s.co.uk) is offering 1MB ADSL for £14.99 per month (but has a 1Gig cap) that might be worth a look.