PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

50p a day til christmas, healthily?!-Weezl's next challenge (part 2)

Options

Comments

• shaz_mum_of__2
    shaz_mum_of__2 Posts: 2,010 Forumite
    Options
    I am coming to Wales!!

Coming to Abergervenny in August how far is that from Cardiff ??

What can i do thats cheap (days out etc)

Shaz
    Shaz
  • In_Search_Of_Me
    In_Search_Of_Me Posts: 10,634 Forumite
    Options
    oo fab shaz...maybe we can arrange a mini meet!! Abargavenny is about 40 mins drive from Cardiff (on a good day!) so doable...depends what you want to do...brecons are beautiful, St Fagans is welsh history museum, Cardiff bay....museums....all sorts all over! Maybe pm your likes and dislikes and we could come up with a cunning boblike plan...
    Nerd no 109 Long haulers supporters DFW #1! Even in the darkest moments, love and hope are always possible.

• got-it-spend-it
    got-it-spend-it Posts: 5,016 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hey Weezl, do you feed your guests what you feed yourself or do you have 'special' meals? If the same then I would go for 50p for an evening meal extra at least. £1 for a day as that is what you are each on and they will be adding to your household budget too (unless you make them bring their own loo roll!)
    If you have special meals I would ignore them entirely! He he :)

(Anyone else a little sad that Martin is on honeymoon? Can't escape the thought that I missed out there ;) )

I was going to say exactly the same! I think if you are providing 'special' meals then maybe think about using some of your entertainment budget towards it. If it's more of the same type of meals you would usually have, then I think 50p for a main meal is reasonable. Obviously a posh pud or wine may push it up a little.......

How about also having a small contingency, of say £3 a month, for little extras like cups of tea and slices of cake. I guess it also depends how much of the entertaining is reciprocating because that could potentially rebalance your budget if you're not having to cook/ pay for x number of meals a month. It's a tricky one!
    :DYummy mummy, runner, baker and procrastinator :p
  • nopot2pin
    nopot2pin Posts: 5,721 Forumite
    Options
    Shaz :T:T.... thanks for the Lentil and Cider loaf recipe. It looks lovely, and I think I have everything in the cupboard to make it:cool:. No trip to the shops and enticement of other products. Smashtastic :D

Weezl... Did you have an "entertainment" budget before you had Fergie ?

Or do you have anything that you put aside for treats ?

I find that if I have friends, or family visiting, I treat it as a treat and do spend a little extra, on little extras.
    But I do try to budget for such occasions, so that some months, when no one visits :(, it makes up for the months when the house is never empty :D
  • craftynutters
    craftynutters Posts: 298 Forumite
    Options
    Hi got the asda shampoo and conditioner and they are ok but may have to decant into something else for the teenage girls:rolleyes:

wish i had a few more moneysavers coming in my shop keep reducing things and they still dont sell :eek::eek: so end up using them or throwing them out
  • SunnyGirl
    SunnyGirl Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all!

Not on yesterday as I had a migraine & ended up in bed all day in the dark :mad: Ok today though.

Weezl Thanks for the praise on my grocery budget :o and for the info re cat food. They eat 2kg of Netto's own brand dried cat food a week at a cost of £1.98 which seems to be the cheapest option after having researched it (geekiness again ;)) The dog is fed on any big bag of dried dog food that I find on offer. Currently he's on Pal Working dog food that cost £8.99 for a 15kg bag which will last him 60 days at 15p a day :money: I have made all the animals (and kids really!) eat what they're given so they're thankfully not fussy.

Lovely lentil loaf recipe thanks Shaz & enjoy your trip to Wales.

Off to get the tribe sorted out now DS3 is going to PGL with school for the weekend so he's in verrrrry high spirits this morning :eek: :D
  • weezl74
    weezl74 Posts: 8,701 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for all the ideas on budgetting. I think I'll Allow visitors £1.50 per day or £1 per evening meal on aversge.

I know GISI you were suggesting 50p for a main meal, and I'm inclined that way myself, but I think that because Acetate monkey is in a profession where everyone thinks you're loaded (he's not cos he's gone down a different career path) some of our guests might have issues with the 50p meals! (not that you can easily make a £1 meal look hugely expensive, but it helps a little I guess!).

I've also thought about ISOM's idea to write off the other months, and obviously I'll have to, but I do need to work out what went wrong or it'll keep happening!

The issue with the guests is not so much the guests themselves, it's that it's weird if you put the kettle on and bring out cake or biscuits for everyone who comes round, and then don't have anything yourself!:o

:hello:Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz:hello:
    :)Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz:)
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £40
  • In_Search_Of_Me
    In_Search_Of_Me Posts: 10,634 Forumite
    Options
    :hello: hello weezl...Pleased that youre gonna write off the excess food budget! Think with such a cute baby that people just cant resist coming to see him and the cake so yummy that it would be rude not to when offered :rotfl::rotfl: I recon £1.50 for eve meal is :D that way its a treat for all of you but knowing you you'll go for £1 (weezl good with money/isom carp with money! Weezl gets extra money thinks oo what can I pay off/Isom thinks what can I buy...I know...cute baby outfit!!)...You have done incredibly well on the master plan and theres no shame in upping a bit...just another baby adjustment but he's worth it! :D
    This w/e I have a church weekend so feeling slightly trepadacious...all paid for though!
    Nerd no 109 Long haulers supporters DFW #1! Even in the darkest moments, love and hope are always possible.

• boredofbeingathome
    boredofbeingathome Posts: 15,657 Forumite
    Options
    I agree with ISOM, better to write these things off and i promise to bring extra with me if visits are arranged. I am a frugal guest and like to come bearing extra ( said in food way) years of going to parent/outlaws who never grasped that my children had a large appetite and could happily eat anyone out of house and home, so we always had goody bags for them to munch if they became peckish.They are built like whippets too, have no idea where they put the food. We just never wanted to offend them and i always brought a joint up, which was often never used.
    Blackadder: Am I jumping the gun, Baldrick, or are the words 'I have a cunning plan' marching with ill-deserved confidence in the direction of this conversation?
    Still lurking around with a hope of some salvation:cool:
  • Frugalista
    Frugalista Posts: 1,738 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just like to say that the savoury flapjack from MSE is extremely nice with sundried tomatoes inside of onions and carrots (it's what we had in).

Could you point me in the direction of the savoury flapjack recipe please. I'm sure I saved it - but can't find it again :doh:(How many times have I done that? :confused:)

"Men are generally more careful of the breed(ing) of their horses and dogs than of their children" - William Penn 1644-1718
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure