Which Airlines Are Deemed To Be Most At Risk Of Going Bust?

Options

Comments

• sodamnfunky
    sodamnfunky Posts: 12,303 Forumite
    Options
    James1715 wrote: »
    I would say its extremely unlikely that Flybe will go bust. The management policy is very similar to larger carriers such as BA, Virgin etc.

Only a few days ago Flybe bucked the trend of most airlines, announcing a 14% rise in profits for Q1 of 2008:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7603815.stm

If they become 'troubled' there is certainly the possibility of route cuts, surcharging etc. but this will be phased in and I cant see them leaving their passengers stranded.

I went on their site yesterday as we are flying with them to Paris in 4 weeks and obviously am a little concerned. They certainly do look well run and as you say posted good profits for the industry.
  • jetboy
    jetboy Posts: 524 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    no chance of Flybe going bust anytime soon. They operate mainly turboprop aircraft which have ironically come into fashion again because they sip fuel rather than drink it. The variant that Flybe have is also as fast as a jet on shorter sectors. They are well placed in the market.
    BMI? more chance of them being taken over going bust..no immediate danger there. Not sure on the prospects for Baby.
    Timmay!
  • poppy_f1
    poppy_f1 Posts: 2,637 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    jetboy wrote: »
    no chance of Flybe going bust anytime soon. They operate mainly turboprop aircraft which have ironically come into fashion again because they sip fuel rather than drink it. The variant that Flybe have is also as fast as a jet on shorter sectors. They are well placed in the market.
    BMI? more chance of them being taken over going bust..no immediate danger there. Not sure on the prospects for Baby.

baby better not go bust before next friday ;)

anyway in all seriousness i dont think baby will go bust just like that, i'd expect to see routes being slashed and it being wound up with the more profitable routes being transfered to bmi planes
  • withabix
    withabix Posts: 9,508 Forumite
    Options
    Tojo_Ralph wrote: »
    From what little I know of Globespan, they appear in good shape and are actually increasing both international flights from our local airport to new destinations. On the long haul front, it was Globespan who pulled out of a transatlantic codeshare deal with Zoom last year due to its lack of profitability. ;)

Globespan pulled out of the codeshare after the 2006/2007 season to start their own service on the same routes.

They have decided not to run the transatlantic services this winter, possibly due to their financial situation and/or possibly due to them getting banned from making long sea crossings due to their dubious maintenance regime - the result of which being that they had to fly further than other carriers to get to the same places, as they had to remain within maximum distances from nearest airport.
    British Ex-pat in British Columbia!
  • withabix
    withabix Posts: 9,508 Forumite
    Options
    codger wrote: »
    As for the Irish bookmaker, Paddy Power, taking bets on which airline will fail first, hopefully the bookmaker's business will crash as a result of a writ from any airline whose commercial reputation is being so recklessly damaged

I'd like to see the legal basis for a writ :rotfl:

It would have to be served from some tin-pot country that takes money in exchange for inventing new laws, as I'm not aware of anything that it is illegal to make a book on, other than activities which are themselves illegal (like dog fights, duels etc)

Any airline which feels aggreived by remarks and/or bets about their financial situation is, of course, completely free to publish full financial details about themselves at any time.....which of course they won't do if they are up sh*t creek without a paddle...
    British Ex-pat in British Columbia!
  • simongregson
    Options
    Anyone have a view on BMI?

They won't go bankrupt as Lufthansa and AFAIK SAS both have a big stake in the company. If they get into trouble, I suspect Lufthansa will buy them to get their heathrow slots.
  • cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    jetboy wrote: »
    Rather than be completely controversial It would be better to list those that won't go bust anytime soon :D .
    I'll start with: BA, Virgin, Easyjet, Ryanair, ThomasCook, TUI, Flybe, Lufthansa, Air France, KLM, Southwest, Cathay, Singapore.

I would add Emirates to that list, based in Dubai hardly short of cheap fuel and with just a little financial backing.
  • Engadine
    Engadine Posts: 1,347 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    withabix wrote: »
    Globespan pulled out of the codeshare after the 2006/2007 season to start their own service on the same routes.

They have decided not to run the transatlantic services this winter, possibly due to their financial situation and/or possibly due to them getting banned from making long sea crossings due to their dubious maintenance regime - the result of which being that they had to fly further than other carriers to get to the same places, as they had to remain within maximum distances from nearest airport.

Globespan are not currently in a very good financial state they seemingly lost millions in the last financial year.

They were fined £5,000 for safety breaches last month. Last year the CAA suspended their ETOPS licence for 2 weeks, they weren't happy with their maintenance. They had it reinstated and have flown long haul flights this summer.

They do have a tendancy to cancel flights and reroute flights at the last minute and only tell passengers when they turn up at the airport.
    :j Debt free since 31/01/08:j

• chuckley
    chuckley Posts: 4,405 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    id say libra holidays.
  • MidlandsMum
    Options
    Libra Holidays aren't an airline. They don't have an airline.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure