Which Airlines Are Deemed To Be Most At Risk Of Going Bust?

Options

Comments

• withabix
    withabix Posts: 9,508 Forumite
    Options
    Nobody seems to have mentioned Globespan.

Globespan are not running long haul winter routes this year. Watch this space...
    British Ex-pat in British Columbia!
  • Tojo_Ralph
    Options
    withabix wrote: »
    Nobody seems to have mentioned Globespan. Globespan are not running long haul winter routes this year. Watch this space...
    From what little I know of Globespan, they appear in good shape and are actually increasing both international flights from our local airport to new destinations. On the long haul front, it was Globespan who pulled out of a transatlantic codeshare deal with Zoom last year due to its lack of profitability. ;)
    The MSE Dictionary
    Loophole - A word used to entice people to read clearly written Terms and Conditions.
    Rip Off - Clearly written Terms and Conditions.
    Terms and Conditions - Otherwise known as a loophole or a rip off.
  • alanrowell
    Options
    Tozer wrote: »
    I can understand. Air Berlin, maybe even Flybe but not national carriers.
    FlyBe should be as safe as Ryanair & Easyjet - a lot of their routes would be awkward to do by any other means (over the sea, cross country) and carry a reasonable amount of business traffic.
  • on that paddy power site they couldnt even flipping spell qantas..

united has already been bankrupt and was financed by the usa goverment for years as i am sure it would be if it was in that situation again.
  • colmil
    colmil Posts: 1,462 Forumite
    Options
    My daughter decided to marry in Spain next month and the only people we could go with were Globespan, they have an awful reputation in the North East for being late, lets just home its better late than never!
    Filiss
  • codger
    codger Posts: 2,079 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Re withabix's post. Globespan's reputation was -- and for all I know, may still be -- one of the worst anywhere for everything from CAA safety warnings to customer complaints. And the insights into its operations gleaned from informed forums like pprune have made for uncomfortable reading.

But, and it's a big 'but', that's a different matter to falling for the self-serving patter of Willy Walsh, CEO of British Airways, desperate to (a) get business from customers terrified into thinking BA is now the only option and (b) to put yet more distance between himself, his airline, and the Terminal 5 shambles.

Walsh's public speculation that "30 airlines worldwide will go bust before Christmas" finished up being reported on BBC TV earlier today as "30 British airlines will go bust before Christmas". Thus does injury get added to insult.

As for the Irish bookmaker, Paddy Power, taking bets on which airline will fail first, hopefully the bookmaker's business will crash as a result of a writ from any airline whose commercial reputation is being so recklessly damaged.

What needs to be remembered is that there'll be many industry executives today with a mournful expression in public and a huge smile in private; XL's departure from the scene has just axed one supplier, leaving more of the market open to other suppliers.

And the full story of just what went on behind the scenes at XL Group has yet to appear.

Until it does, taking what one airline / travel company says is the reason for failure to be the whole truth of the matter is like taking what everything poor ol' Adam Applegarth (and his board) said last year was the whole truth about Northern Rock.

We shouldn't be falling for Mr Walsh's none too subtle ploy.

Many thousands of people in the UK have already paid for their flights with airlines other than XL and are due to holiday in the next three or four months.

Morbid speculation doesn't help them at all, and actually serves only to increase their anxieties at this time.
  • saveapenny
    Options
    @16/1 Olympic would be were my money went they have been in trouble for awhile now
    If you look anything like your passport photo....Your too ill to travel
  • jetboy
    jetboy Posts: 524 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Top 3 on that website look likely and in that order. Anything that's listed above 16-1 is extremely unlikely.
    There several a few good candidates that aren't even listed there. Rather than be completely controversial It would be better to list those that won't go bust anytime soon :D .
    I'll start with: BA, Virgin, Easyjet, Ryanair, ThomasCook, TUI, Flybe, Lufthansa, Air France, KLM, Southwest, Cathay, Singapore.
    Timmay!
  • Loopy_Lobes
    Options
    Anyone have a view on BMI?
  • salduck
    salduck Posts: 1,070 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can i just point out that SCHEDULED airline failure in your travel insurance only covers you for SCHEDULED airline failure!! xl were not a scheduled airline but a charter airline!!
    x
    Mortgage free wannabe! No idea on date yet! £132,350 TBC
    Loan paying off May 2022 £7000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills