What to do if you've been affected by the XL collapse

Replies

• r18rwsr18rws Forumite
    162 Posts
    lesleyhem wrote: »
    We saw the holiday advertised on teletext. It was company called 2bookaholiday.com, they are still trading and are part of Hays Travel. As far as I was aware we were booking a package as we booked flights accomodation and transfers with them and they were paid for on one invoice. I have rung them but got no joy all they would say was they offered us another flight at a cost of £1000 but it was for 2 days later than the original booking and the hotel could not accomodate those dates but we could pay for another hotel - in effect pay for another holiday!. I am going to write a strong letter to 2bookaholiday.com, Hays Travel and hotels4u (who are part of Thomas Cook) whom our hotel was booked through, but we did no know this until we received paperwork some weeks after booking

Would leave Hotels4U/thomas Cook alon, what did they do wrong???

Taker the issue up with the agent and Hays as you are saying they missold a package holiday. Sold as package but booked as seperate components.
  • Hi

Has anyone else had any problems getting refunded for flights booked through Flydeals.co.uk?
    I had a letter from CEGA confirming receipt of my claim form on 31st December and, having not heard anything, I chased it about a month ago. I have now received a letter saying they want the original ATOL receipt issued by the travel agent - even though I sent it with the claim form.
    I phoned them yesterday and they said there was a special team set up to deal with Fly deals claims as they havent been issuing the right paperwork to clients.
    I am sending them the email confirmation I also received but I am worried they are going to try to get out of paying up.
    I originally tried to reclaim through Goldfish but they refused, saying I should get a refund through CEGA - even though they paid out for the consequential loss of the extra flight costs!
  • JenCJenC Forumite
    189 Posts
    Hi, hoping for some help from you lot please.....

I've chased my outstanding payment from CEGA to cover 5 Freedom flights, totalling over £1k. I've been told they are missing paperwork (not true) so I've gone back to them to counter this. I think the problem may be my Egg card statement, as its a print of an online statement, Egg don't issue me traditional paper statements.

I would like to try and get a claim through Egg and HSBC instead (a friend paid for half), but we only lost flights, not the accomodation also. Has anyone had any luck doing this, as the statements show the whole value, rather than the flight value.

Any thoughts would be appreciated...
  • misterhmisterh Forumite
    138 Posts
    JenC wrote: »
    Hi, hoping for some help from you lot please.....

I've chased my outstanding payment from CEGA to cover 5 Freedom flights, totalling over £1k. I've been told they are missing paperwork (not true) so I've gone back to them to counter this. I think the problem may be my Egg card statement, as its a print of an online statement, Egg don't issue me traditional paper statements.

I would like to try and get a claim through Egg and HSBC instead (a friend paid for half), but we only lost flights, not the accomodation also. Has anyone had any luck doing this, as the statements show the whole value, rather than the flight value.

Any thoughts would be appreciated...

I've used an Egg card statement CEGA got back to me recently saying my claim was in the final stages and could I fax or post them the statement again writing my account number on the page or a photocopy of my credit card. I posted both so I'm hoping my claim will be sorted soon.
    "Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."
  • misterhmisterh Forumite
    138 Posts
    Update - I've now been offered my flight money back in full.

At last.
    "Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."
  • JenCJenC Forumite
    189 Posts
    misterh wrote: »
    Update - I've now been offered my flight money back in full.

At last.

Thats great news. They have come back to me again today asking for the copy of my credit card, so hopefully that will speed things through...
  • DONZERELLADONZERELLA Forumite
    95 Posts
    after a long battle and banging my head against many a brick wall i now have my full money back for the holiday we booked through apollo travel (part of co-op travel) . I had written to my mp so i am unsure as to whther she got involved as last thing I heard CEGA and the co-op were in disagreement about pipeline money ???

In summary - the co-op has been anything but it's name - completely unco-opertaive in this matter and i SHALL NEVER book with them again. the halifax credit card after much complainining were helpful and froze any interest on the disputed amount.

I now will look differently at booking holidays as i wonder whther we would have been reimbursed quicker through my credit card had the holiday not been atol protectd. in other word my priority will always be booking through a credit card rather than making sure th company is ATOL bonded..

Good luck the rest of you still waiting - do not give up - harass and write to your MP too...
  • JEHSPORTJEHSPORT Forumite
    5 Posts
    Just a quick update - I emailed my MP who has been in contact with CEGA on my behalf (well, his secretary has) It seems she has not only emailed them but spoken to them too resulting in an email from the Manager of Policy Planning and Communications on 15th May confirming that the claim had been reviewed and can be paid, with the money expected into my account by Friday 22nd May. Needless to say, I havent received it yet!
    I have emailed him direct to chase the payment only to be told that the person dealing with it was on holiday! He phoned me yesterday saying the money should be in my account by next Wednesday.
    I think contacting my MP has been worthwhile as it seems to have got things moving, but its wrong that we should have to do that, just to get our money back!
  • noonesperfectnoonesperfect Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    We were due to fly to Turkey the week following XL's collapse, but for various reasons had postponed the holiday to May this year.

On 19th May we received our money back from CEGA. We didn't have to hassle anyone - I merely filled in the forms I was given, sent off all proof necessary and responded by return (1st class recorded) each time to any letters sent to me.

The travel agents (Travel Republic and CEGA) made it clear that we would be reimbursed but as so many were affected we didn't realistically expect to be paid out for several months! We weren't disappointed :rolleyes:.
    :wave:
  • MissT_3MissT_3 Forumite
    43 Posts
    Hi,

Has anyone been able to contact the CAA via phone in the last few weeks?

I have an outstanding claim with the CAA following the XL collapse which apparantly has been in the final stage of authorisation since March.

I have tried emailing the address given on the CAA website several times without response and when I dial the number for the CAA (0207 453 6700 is the one I have used) I go through the menu system only to be told there is no one available to take my call and the call is then ended :mad:

Our claim is for severla thousand pound and its starting to get a bit rediculous now for the time it is taking to resolve.

Many thanks

MissT
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides