What to do if you've been affected by the XL collapse

Replies

• r18rwsr18rws Forumite
    162 Posts
    lesleyhem wrote: »
    Hi Mermaid. dont know what order they are paying out in my number begins 30...... and have been waiting 5 months. Twice have been told that claim had been passed for payment. Once on 19th February and then again on 11th March then on 20th March (first contact they have had with me other than reference num,ber) was told now that they need the freedon flights confirmation invoice. Rang travel agent about this but they said they couldn't supply this and didnt know what they were talking about. Don't know what to do next.
    Any travel agent would understand what you have asked for! Which travel agent is the booking made through, is there a head office/customer service section?
  • wahoo received my letter yesterday :)
    Mortgage overpayments 2009
    FEB £155,737.00 op £500
    MAR £154,849.00 op £500
    APR £154,018.00 op £500
    Interest aimed to save 66,125 gbp
    MF target date - February 2015 (16 years early)
  • r18rws wrote: »
    Any travel agent would understand what you have asked for! Which travel agent is the booking made through, is there a head office/customer service section?

It was Hays Travel and I rang their Commercial Department to be told that they were not in possession of the confirmation invoice that CEGA said they want. I have emailed CEGA four times now but have got no response and they are not answering the phones at all now so I am at a loss what to do next. Any suggestions would be appreciated
  • r18rwsr18rws Forumite
    162 Posts
    lesleyhem wrote: »
    It was Hays Travel and I rang their Commercial Department to be told that they were not in possession of the confirmation invoice that CEGA said they want. I have emailed CEGA four times now but have got no response and they are not answering the phones at all now so I am at a loss what to do next. Any suggestions would be appreciated

Did you book really late before they failed. Maybe they never sent the invoice to the Hays agent so thats why they dont have it? If not then they shodul have recieved it from XL/Freedom Flights and be able to send to you. Even if not the records should show your booking on XL system and so there will be proof you made a booking.

Also the fact you paid the money to Hays and they wodl have provided an ATOL receipt and shoudl have either paid teh money to XL group or the administrators.
  • We booked our holiday 2nd April 2008 and paid the final balance July 2009 and were due to travel on 23rd September. I sent the Atol receipt, booking confirmations, flight tickets and anything else I could think of so I don't know what else they want. I've emailed them four times since last Friday and not had one reply and can't get through on phone. I am really at a loss what to do next.
  • For anyone who paid in full or even just the initial deposit by credit card.

I received a letter on Wednesday (25/3) from CEGA (on behalf of CAA) which confirmed that, after taking legal advice, they had concluded that the Credit Card provider is responsible for any refund. This will be the same for any flights/holidays booked using a credit card.

I faxed the letter to First Direct Visa yesterday and today I received a full refund of £1,140 - Hooray! :j

If you did pay by CC, I suggest you contact your credit card company because you'll get nothing from CEGA/CAA.

Good luck!
  • r18rwsr18rws Forumite
    162 Posts
    This Is Only Payments Made Direct To Xl Though, Not To Agents Where Any Refund Whether You Paid Cash/debit/credit Card Is Through Caa Claims Process
  • I can only tell you my experience but literally the day before I received my CEGA letter last week I phoned First Direct Visa.

I told FD Visa that under the CCA Act they had defaulted on the credit card transacation (accepting that it was XL's fault) and therefore in the eyes of the law they were responsible. I told them that I would be escalating my complaint to FOS in order to get a satisfactory outcome.

I was called back that day by FD Visa and offered a 75% refund on the basis that they would wait for another 4-6 weeks for CEGA to come back to me before refunding the last 25% (if the CAA didn't before then).

I accepted this offer only to receive the CEGA letter the following day - and I got the full refund.

I would therefore recommend to anyone who bought their XL flights/holiday using a credit card and who are still waiting for a refund, to complain to the CC provider and tell them that you are going to write to FOS. Regardless of what CEGA did, this approach certainly got a swift and positive reaction from FD Visa.

Don't let the CAA get you down!
  • Hi there quick update on my claim, sent email to cega this morning explaining i was going to seek legal action and rec a phone call this afternoon from them telling me my claim is all correct and has been passed to accounts for payment. Quick backstory - i have been asked by cega on 6 different occasions to send in bank statements, invoices, photocopies of my debit card, a letter from my branch manager explaining that natwest dont print account numbers on their debit cards and a signed letter stating that the money i paid the holiday with was from my account.
    Why the needed all this info i will never know but i do know they are trying to delay paying claims as much as possible no matter what the CAA say.
    From now on i'll pay for all my holidays by credit card and hope never to hear the name CEGA again.
  • I have been affected by the crash of Xl Airlines and seem to be stuck between a rock and a hard place. Payment was made through an ATOL registered travel company paying the deposit by credit card, the final pay ment was by cheque and three other flights for other family members were paid for by credit card. The CAA has stated they will pay out only 1/3 of the original fees paid but will not refund any credit card money's paid. Section 75 also only seems to kick in if we paid the credit card direct to the flight company and not through a travel company. Any advice out there where to go next.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Martin's debt costs masterclass

Eg, balance transfer up to 35 mths at 0%

MSE News

£80 GHD Original IV Styler

Via MSE Blagged code (norm £109)

MSE Deals