The cheapest Pay As You Go mobile tariff

Options

Comments

• Blue_Max
    Blue_Max Posts: 725 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Has anyone tried Ovivo Packs?
    £10 for 400 mins = 2.5p is cheaper than any other PAYG tariffs.
    Are these available after joining?
    Which one gets used up first? Initial £10 credit or the Ovivo Pack?
    Cheers!
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 29 January 2013 at 11:07AM
    Options
    Blue_Max wrote: »
    £10 for 400 mins = 2.5p is cheaper than any other PAYG tariffs.
    How come? It's not bad, but not because of 2.5p. E.g. Vectone offer 1000 mix&match for £10, i.e. 1 minute for 1p. Giffgaff offer 1500 for £25.
    Are these available after joining?
    Yes, you just buy them when you need so.
    Which one gets used up first? Initial £10 credit or the Ovivo Pack?
    The pack. I think it does cover the calls to lendlines, bit it is not very clear.
  • Blue_Max
    Blue_Max Posts: 725 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 4 February 2013 at 4:05AM
    Options
    iCardmobile was also 3p/6p/5p few months ago. Then they put it up. Hope these guys don't follow that practice.

International rates of WhiteMobile are not as cheap as when using VoIP but very low for a Mobile.
    eg. Poland 0.5p, India/China 1p.

Independent site Mobile Network Comparison, interviewed co-founder Graeme Hutchinson, former Virgin Mobile Sales and Marketing Chief.
    http://mobilenetworkcomparison.org.uk/white-mobile-interview/
  • KnightSmile
    KnightSmile Posts: 252 Forumite
    Options
    Does anyone know the cheapest payg nano sim plan? I have an iphone5 and the main deals mostly only include standard and micro sims
  • littlespender2
    Options
    KnightSmile,

Giffgaff do a reasonable deal, have a look at their website to see if there is a package that suits you (I'm a new member so can't post the URL, google it). You can get a nano sim from them too (it's actually a cut down microsim though, but it works)

The iphone 5 will in fact take a cut down microsim. I know that the spec says that a nano sim is slightly thinner than a microsim but the iphone 5 has the tolerance to fit in a microsim that has been cut down to size.

If you can find a tariff that you prefer that isn't available with a nanosim, you can buy a nanosim cutter from ebay and just a microsim down to size... they cost less than £10 delivered
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,626 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 6 March 2013 at 4:27PM
    Options
    Does anyone know the cheapest payg nano sim plan? I have an iphone5 and the main deals mostly only include standard and micro sims

You can cut any sim to nano (or pay your local independent shop), I've cut and successfully used a sim from T-Mobile, Orange, Ovivo and Three.

The thickness was a scare story from the networks wanting to make you buy a new sim.

I used a template from here:
    http://www.airportal.de/nanosim/

Direct link to the .pdf file is http://www.airportal.de/nanosim/How_to_cut_Mini_and_Micro_SIM_to_Nano_SIM.pdf

When it comes to cutting the sim, don't worry about the gold bits having to be cut, the actual contacts are under the gold bit, and are not the whole gold area.

I disassembled a few sims, and you can see in this pic that the actual contacts are right in the middle of the gold, and only 5 contacts are actually used.

8056473596_77357436f6_c.jpg

The red area is the area you dont want to cut into.

To prevent confusion, the above pic is just the gold area after being separated from the plastic of the simcard.

From the front:

8056485940_2245918773_c.jpg
    ====
  • racky29
    Options
    I struggle to find a better deal than giffgaff
    The unlimited data is what swings it for me
    They run off the O2 network
    I changed to giffgaff from orange and have saved a hell of a lot of cash

Payg for £12 goodybag monthly package

250 mins
    Unlimited texts
    Unlimited internet data
    Calls and texts, giffgaff to giffgaff free

I usually talk to my girl for about an hour a day for free
    And if you run out of included mins or dont purchase a goodybag
    Calls are 10p and texts 6p
  • OldNick57
    Options
    Dear Forum,

can anyone advise, please? We've been with O2 on a pay as you go basis for some years, rarely using the mobile except for texting- which has become more frequent of late.

However, the last few times I've topped up, it seems to have mentioned "pay and go" and we've paid and the balance has certainly been going. It's as if we've been moved onto some other rate- used to be 10 or 12p per text, now it seems to be more like 20-30p a go.

O2's website of course cleverly mentions PayasyouGo but only has any details about Pay&Go and that seems to be some monthly thing which wasn't what we thought we wanted at all.

Have I missed something? All I want is cheap, occasional, texting, don't need a new phone or anything fancy, don't want to be tied to some monthly scheme... what can I do?

Yours frustratedly,
    -Nick :(
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Switch to Ovivo Freedom
  • tsimehC
    tsimehC Posts: 763 Forumite
    Options
    Tried ordering an Ovivo sim but page goes to an error after entering card details (which didn't look secure in the first place, Ovivo insist that page is secure, hmm..).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure