Forum Home» Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning

Please boycott Metro Hotel in Woking - read for more details

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Please boycott Metro Hotel in Woking - read for more details

139 replies 14.3K views
Bob63Bob63 Forumite
1.3K posts
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/7596798.stm

The Metro Hotel in Woking has refused a room to a wounded soldier who was home on leave from Afghanistan. Whatever you may think about our involvement in the Middle East, our troops deserve our full support. What this hotel has done is disgusting. It deserves to go out of business! If you have a Facebook account, a blog, or just email, please tell as many people as you can about this hotel's actions.
A soldier home on leave after being injured in Afghanistan was refused a room by a hotel when he showed his military ID card at reception.
Corporal Tomos Stringer, 23, from Gwynedd, was visiting a wounded colleague in Surrey when he was turned away from the Metro Hotel in Woking.
He spent the night in his car after being told it was management policy not to accept military personnel.
The hotel has declined to comment on the matter.

Replies

• Any hotel owner has the right to refuse a customer. I don't know why this owner does not wish to have military personnel staying at his hotel, but if this is so then so be it.

Maybe he has had bad experiences in the past. There are cases where military personnel returning from Iraq or Afghanistan have behaved in a brutal manner towards their family and members of the public. Probably not their fault after possibly being trained to be brutal against their occupiers.
  • Hope they go bust.

a good idea would be if as many folk as possible book up as many rooms as possible and then cancel at latest moment without incurringing any charges.

If they were to refuse on colour, race, age, sexual persuasion,marital status, disability or religion they would be prosecuted . But in this pathetic excuse of a country its ok to refuse a war hero:mad:
  • Paul_HerringPaul_Herring Forumite
    7.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wow, what spin.
    mIKE wrote:
    The Metro Hotel in Woking has refused a room to a wounded soldier who was home on leave from Afghanistan.
    The wound/injury? A broken wrist. After jumping out of a wagon.
    The_BBC wrote:
    He spent the night in his car after being told it was management policy not to accept military personnel.
    This sounds like he's making a martyr of himself - was that the only hotel in the area? He had a car, could he not drive to another?

This sensationalism is the sort of stuff you'd expect to find in the Daily Mail, not on the BBC.
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    -o I am humble -o You are attention seeking -o She is Nadine Dorries
    7.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    But in this pathetic excuse of a country its ok to refuse a war hero:mad:

War hero? You're making it sound as if he's up for an bronze Albert Medal.
  • Lets just say a black guy, a gay guy an unwashed guy a plumber a plasterer anybody was refused due to the fact that in the past someone from their social or work group had misbehaved, how about a man who has been convicted of battering his wife or child molestation would they be refused? could they be refused.

Because this man comes from a group indeed a minority group that isnt very trendy it seems ok for you to discriminate against him.

The argument about the severity of injury is totally irrelivent the point is the refusal of access, look a little deeper.

The argument that soldiers are trained to brutalize is again totally irrelivent!! I served for 22 years leaving in 2005, yes I have killed but I,ll tell you this I saved far more life than I took... What have you done for your fellow man lately!!!!!
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • moore493 wrote: »
    The argument that soldiers are trained to brutalize is again totally irrelivent!! I served for 22 years leaving in 2005, yes I have killed but I,ll tell you this I saved far more life than I took... What have you done for your fellow man lately!!!!!

Slightly going off the point but in general the British Army has served the population very well. It is a shame really that the recent campaigns have tarnsihed such a good name - and usually for no fault of the serving members. But clearly the examples of Abu Ghraib, Bagram Airbase, and rendition flights show that brutalising has taken place and probably been systematic - maybe under the command of foreign powers. Many of the NCO's would simply have followed orders and it takes real bravery to defy such orders.
    This sounds like he's making a martyr of himself - was that the only hotel in the area? .............

There's a Holiday Inn just 2 minutes walk round the corner.
    7.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    moore493 wrote: »
    Lets just say [...] anybody was refused due to the fact that in the past someone from their social or work group had misbehaved,

I see your assumption (the reason wasn't stated in that report) and raise it with 'someone involved with a war the owner/business/single person on check-in doesn't agree with.' Is my assumption any less credible/valid than yours? (Not that either is excusable.)
    moore493 wrote: »
    The argument about the severity of injury is totally irrelivent the point is the refusal of access, look a little deeper.

The severity of the injury was totally relevant to my point. 'Look a little deeper.'

I wasn't condoning the behaviour of the hotel staff (I don't,) I was complaining about the nature of the reporting by the OP.
  • bluedblued Forumite
    698 posts
    The hotel is his business, he can do what he wants. I've seen groups of soldiers acting like complete arses in pubs, clubs, the street, fighting over girls who have no interest in them etc and behaviour like this tends to land everyone being tarred with the same brush. Its not fair in most cases but when you get a minority causing trouble on so many occasions what do you expect?

We were in Ayia Napa in 2005 and the whole town centre was out of bounds to British soldiers because of the trouble they cause. There was even cause to seek a complete ban from the town

http://www.forum.discoverayianapa.com/viewtopic.php?t=6337&sid=e1063ceb68b74a0bcb446e8da451af53

Not letting someone into a hotel is hardly worth mentioning and I certainly wont be avoiding said hotel.
  • Amy83Amy83 Forumite
    451 posts
    I know I'm probably going to be slated for this, but anyway.

While I fully support the military, there have been instances in the South East (I only know of stuff happening here, but I assume it's country wide to a certain degree) of squaddies returning from Iraq/Afghanistan and getting in complete states through excessive drinking. Though I can never even pretend that I understand what they've been through, I can completely understand that they'd want to try to take their minds off things and live a 'normal life'

However, this has led to lots of squaddies getting involved in and starting fights, smashing things up and generally acting rowdily. This hasn't just been a one off occasion but has happened frequently. Many bars dislike squaddies for that reason, some also refuse entry.

Yes, it's not fair to stereotype, as the injured soldier may well not be likely to cause anything like this, but I can see where the hotel is coming from in rufusing him a room. If they've had problems with squaddies staying there in the past its only fair that they're allowed to be cautious in their approach. After all, it is their hotel.

And I agree with whoever it was, he really is making a martyr of himself, there's plenty of hotels in the area, no need to sleep in the car.
    Aiming for that elusive 'debt free' by Christmas 2012
    :rudolf: [STRIKE]£6,000[/STRIKE] £4,279 and counting... #217 paid off £1721 :rudolf:

23.01.2012 - Started diet (Weight loss 22 / 31lbs)
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support