My diary... becoming debt free whilst still having a life!!!

Options

Comments

• savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 27,544 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi all - work is manic currently - absolutely shattered - and its that time of the month again...;)

Will only do xmas cards for close family and very close friends I think. Had some left from last year anyway which kids can use and have card making stuff by the bucket load so could make them if I had any time....

I've bought all the pressies, but not all wrapped or "arranged" yet. Feel absolutely whacked - I am that tired!

Get paid early in December so paper hat figures will go up really well (but then stay as is until pretty much Feb!). May find out in the next week or so about my job status _pale_ (but not definite). OH still not heard anything after our w/e reccie... No wonder I feel so exhausted really, fair bit of pressure just between those issues...:confused:

Hope you are all having a more positive time...
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality by mid 2030
    1) MFW Nov 21 £201,999 with 236 payments to go - now £183,036 Equity 26.8%
    2) Spend on handyman & external building works & new patio door £12.65K
    3) CC £4.6K on 0% spends card but offset by £33.8K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
    4) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £10.2K/£127.5K AVC target 8% value at 15/5
    5) FI Age 60 annual income target £13.7/30K 45.7%
  • ~Yorkshire_Belle~
    Options
    Hi all
    It seems to be quite a 'stressy time' with all these decisions and Christmas looming!
    I've made cards (long standing family joke as it is supposed to be DS's making cards but always ends up being me!) but only for close family and special and far flung friends. At work we chip in to donate to charity instead of cards, much more sensible.

Have not yet overspent as had budgeted for Christmas but OHs glasses broke today grrr and he has decided it would be nice to visit his brother at Christmas. Well of course it is nice, but since his bro can't fit all of us in and lives a LONG way away it is also going to cost an arm and a leg. I feel mean even typing that.......

So signing off, cheerful Charlie, aka Belle
    x

PS Hope all of you with life changing events, esp Ruby & SH, are able to find some way through dilemmas. There are never easy routes are there?

PPS Cas , bet my unwrapped is worse - have still got them stashed at work lol!
    Getting there...slowly! :D

GC : must do better
    NSD: very rare

No matter how slow I go I am lapping everyone on the couch.
  • savingholmes
    Options
    YB - there was a thread and an article on cheap glasses over the internet - buy them via a cash back site like quidco and get an even better deal. I need some new ones too but trying to wait until the new year.

In the light of risk to my job I've cancelled my dental work for the mo!!! Real hardship that since I'm highly phobic anyway.

Off to bed now.... Good luck all!
    3) CC £4.6K on 0% spends card but offset by £33.8K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
  • rubydoiwannabee
    Options
    Hi everyone, life for me feels tough at the moment.

My dear brother has just been diagnosed with cancer and is undergoing chemo as I type. I have known for under a week, he is the third in my family to get cancer. My mum and brother have both died from it, so as you can imagine it is very hard to have to be facing it a third time. :cry::cry:

I am feeling numb and not very festive!! But trying very hard to get into the spirit for the children.

Anyway, forgive me if I am on here even less than I am now!!

Somehow the job situation, money and to send christmas cards or not, fade into insignificance in comparision.

Sorry for the negativity, it is late and I am tired and emotional.

I hope you are all doing ok and thanks for sticking with the diary.

xxxxx
    The good you do comes back to you.
    DFW Long haul supporters No: 134
    ;)
  • savingholmes
    Options
    :grouphug:
    Hi everyone, life for me feels tough at the moment.

My dear brother has just been diagnosed with cancer and is undergoing chemo as I type. I have known for under a week, he is the third in my family to get cancer. My mum and brother have both died from it, so as you can imagine it is very hard to have to be facing it a third time. :cry::cry:

I am feeling numb and not very festive!! But trying very hard to get into the spirit for the children.

Anyway, forgive me if I am on here even less than I am now!!

Somehow the job situation, money and to send christmas cards or not, fade into insignificance in comparision.

Sorry for the negativity, it is late and I am tired and emotional.

I hope you are all doing ok and thanks for sticking with the diary.

xxxxx
    Gosh Ruby - sending hugs and sympathy your way....

That must be so hard. Feel free to "dump" on us if you need to either on the forum or via the pm system. If I can help in anyway let me know.
  • sistercas
    sistercas Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Ruby how awful, nobody will mind if you're not here for a while,its important for you to be with your family and brother. but do keep in touch. I shall keep you and your brother in my thoughts.
    dont hesitate to PM me if you need to x
  • skysky69
    skysky69 Posts: 436 Forumite
    Options
    :grouphug: Sorry to hear about your brother Ruby. My nan is currently undergoing chemo too so our family doesn't feel very festive either. This makes me feel very guilty as I can't wait for Christmas this year as my little girl is 3 and 1/2 so it is the first Xmas she has an awareness of what is going on. My nan has leukaemia so she has no immune system at all and I am petrified about visiting her in case I have a cold in waiting and I give her the lurgy that will pop her off - all sounds quite irrational when I type it but hey ho.

Keep your chin up.
    xx
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 607 - Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts :T
    One day maybe I will be debt free :o
  • ~Yorkshire_Belle~
    Options
    Ruby
    What a terrible thing cancer is - my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family, especially your brother of course.
    We are here if you need to rant, or off load, and we'll all pick up with the DFW work when we can. You are so right - everything else does seem insignificant by comparison. I do still wish you luck for Monday's interview, because if we have to work ( and I certainly do!) it really helps if you can do so in happy and supportive environments.
    thinking of you
    Belle
    x
    Getting there...slowly! :D

GC : must do better
    NSD: very rare

No matter how slow I go I am lapping everyone on the couch.
  • rubydoiwannabee
    Options
    What a lovely group of people you all are, I am truly touched by your kind words of support.

Thank you each and every one,
    xxxxxx:A
    The good you do comes back to you.
    DFW Long haul supporters No: 134
    ;)
  • savingholmes
    Options
    What a lovely group of people you all are, I am truly touched by your kind words of support.

Thank you each and every one,
    xxxxxx:A
    You and your family are in my prayers (and I'll get some of our friends to pray for you all too)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport