My diary... becoming debt free whilst still having a life!!!

Options

Comments

• rubydoiwannabee
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    How are you all? Life is a bit manic for everyone this time of year isn't it, I hope you are all finding some time for you!!

How is everyone doing with spreading the cost of christmas?

I have spent about £450 so far and I haven't finished yet,:eek: but I do have the presents for 10 people from that and the majority of it has gone on teenage DS (xbox 360 and a few other bits totalling £240!!!!!!!!). DD is only getting half that spent on her, but she is only 5 and will be more than happy.
    I justify the difference in expenditure by the difference in age. Do you think that is fair?

I was hoping to take it all in my stride but as it gets closer I have realised that I haven't planned and budgeted things like for school activities, xmas meals, etc. etc.

Anyway, update soon with how you all are and how your xmas preparations and spends are going.

LOL
    xxxxx
    The good you do comes back to you.
    DFW Long haul supporters No: 134
    ;)
  • ~Yorkshire_Belle~
    Options
    Hi Ruby
    Good to see you, hope things aren't too bad at work. Been thinking of you.
    I have been spending too, but only up to what I have budgeted ( so far!) so am feeling very pleased with myself :rotfl:
    I know however that the danger zone will be upon me soon, I'll start wondering - have I got enough/been fair/got what they wanted - and whoosh, I can spend like crazy. I do have lists and comparisons ans all sorts but in the past have been swept away on a tide of anxirty about making everyone happy.
    Am going to try hard to stick to what I know is reasonable and sensible.
    Hope everyone else is OK - SH, IC and Cas are very quiet too
    Belle
    x
    Getting there...slowly! :D

GC : must do better
    NSD: very rare

No matter how slow I go I am lapping everyone on the couch.
  • savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 27,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi everyone. I've been away again with work - sorry for neglecting you. We are still pressing on. I bought Asda Xmas saver cards for the bonus - so can spend on stuff at Asda guilt free until they are gone which is a lovely feeling. I've bought all my pressies already. Not spent anywhere near as much as you Ruby but to be fair we already have a wii that I succumbed and bought in about January of this year!!!

Had a good week in that we bought some xmas pressies from other people for our kids - and they have now given us the £ for it which is always a relief!

My MIL was absolutely delighted with her birthday hamper, she especially loved the photo dome, calorie free cupcake and the photo calendar. She has also let me have my xmas present early - so I now have boots again! Woohoo! I've been resisting the temptation and now been rewarded which is nice.

I told a friend about the baking hamper for my DS and he is planning to copy if for his DD.

My kids are giving pots of gold or reindeer to their teachers this year... and in some cases their friends! I got 2 quality street tins for £7 from Asda the other week when they were on offer so I am planning to use some of them!

Belle - make a plan stick to it. Don't go mad - use the finished baskets photo section for ideas!
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality by mid 2030
    1) MFW Nov 21 £201,999 with 237 payments to go - now £183,754 Equity 26.5%
    2) Spend on handyman & external building works & new patio door £12.65K
    3) CC £4.9K on 0% spends card but offset by £34.25K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
    4) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £9.6K/£127.5K AVC target 7.5% value at 15/4
    5) FI Age 60 annual income target £13.7/30K 45.7%
  • sistercas
    sistercas Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    hello all
    sorry havent been on for a while, DD1's birthday yesterday and its been really manic .
    took her out for an italian meal last night, which was lovely. Its a year since we went there and the prices have really been hiked up:eek:
    seems to be all spend spend spend at the moment.. my mum and step dad are up this weekend and we have been out , ended up buying fish and chips,as I didnt have time to prepare anything. mind you they were lovely just more unecessary spending
    just about done with xmas shopping now just some bits to get for the kids.
    BTW SH I have made reindeers for the kids teachers too I have put chocolate oranges inside them.
    hope everyones ok
  • savingholmes
    Options
    hello again all. Had tooth out today which was VERY traumatic.

Did win £10 on bingo tho (joined thro cashback site)... so that was good news. Also took kids to school fair and went late so got 2 bags of stuff for 5p an item - including 2 craft box sets, some gorgeous looking books that look new and all sort of other potential stocking fillers so really pleased...
    3) CC £4.9K on 0% spends card but offset by £34.25K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
    4) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £9.6K/£127.5K AVC target 7.5% value at 15/4
  • rubydoiwannabee
    Options
    Poor you SH sounds very painful!!

DD has tonsillitis and is confined to the house until 5 days of antibiotics have been given!!!! Boy it can be hard being a working mum.

Off to fill advent calendars with lovely treats.

Hope you are all having a good weekend.
    ;)
  • sistercas
    Options
    Hi all DD1 had a sleepover last night I have just turfed them out of the living room so i could get on the computer!
    they are having toasted bagels with bacon
    need to do some wrapping up of xmas pressies today as some need to be posted, I can only do a few at a time otherwise I lose interest and I end up throwing the paper on :D

steak for lunch ( 4 medallions for 99p at a discount food shop near us :D )should have been £4 so really pleased with that
    still got 3 reindeers to make ( with choc orange filling) made a coffee cup for a friend with coffee sachets choc topping galaxy bar and 2 choc sticks looks nice might try and upload a pic
    hope you are all ok Ruby you sound like you are having a tough time what with work and illness, hope things improve soon x
  • sistercas
    Options
    coffee cup for friend at work
    PB290726.jpg?t=1228047788
  • rubydoiwannabee
    Options
    sistercas wrote: »
    coffee cup for friend at work
    PB290726.jpg?t=1228047788
    Really lovely present Cas.

Thanks for the kind words. I am fine really, I have an interview in a few weeks for new job which I am holding out for and I'm lucky that I can work from home over the next few days whilst DD needs to be away from school, so its not all doom and gloom.

Oh and I have just watched Enrique and Ronan on the TV and that has cheered me up no end!!! Phoaw!

xxxx
    ;)
  • savingholmes
    Options
    Hi all - Ruby - hope your son feels better soon.

Sistercas - I noticed you on the finished baskets thread. Lovely pressie. I have loads of pressies still to "arrange" and wrap!

Anyone heard from Irish, one step or Yorkshire Belle recently?

I'm away again with work quite a few days this week so won't be able to post much...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport