We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Zoom Airlines is in administration: How to get your money back

Options

Comments

• Alan_Bowen
    Alan_Bowen Posts: 4,857 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There are three providers of Scheduled Airline Failure Insurance in the UK, Marcus Hearn, IPP and Advantage Financial Services. As far as I know they only sell their policies through agents rather than direct, but I am sure if you call them, the first two certainly have websites, they will be able to help you. Interestingly Alitalia is on the list they won't protect as is Olympic Airlines with at least one of the insurers
  • halfdome
    Options
    swiftcover.com offer scheduled airline failure cover on their insurance policy for only an extra £1!

Although globespan look more stable than flyzoom having not got all their eggs in one basket regards transatlantic flights, I'm just covering myself having paid for my flights with maestro.

I'll be using visa for my next flight purchase though.
  • superfurrymatty
    Options
    I was wondering if i'm covered under the CCA if I paid by American Express. It was a Lloyds TSB Duo Credit card but I paid on the Amex to get airmiles. I read on the BBC website that AMEX wouldn't be covered?

thanks, Matt
  • Sun
    Sun Posts: 326 Forumite
    Options
    From BBC Website:

American Express said it would provide refunds to its customers who purchased Zoom air tickets and are now unable to take their flight.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7587579.stm
    All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy.
  • bafty_crastard
    Options
    I was wondering if i'm covered under the CCA if I paid by American Express. It was a Lloyds TSB Duo Credit card but I paid on the Amex to get airmiles. I read on the BBC website that AMEX wouldn't be covered?

thanks, Matt

I paid £1700 with my TSB duo american express card.
    As far as I know because it's a credit card rather than a traditional american express card (where you have to clear the balance every month) it's covered under the consumer protection act.
    Slightly worrying though - I called the bank today and although they have put a dispute against the transaction and have frozen interest etc until it's sorted out they can't say for sure I'll get a refund.
    I was under the impression that paying by credit card meant a definite refund as the credit card company and Zoom are jointly liable. Just need to sit it out and see what happens I suppose.
  • Jazzy_B
    Jazzy_B Posts: 1,810 Forumite
    Options
    moonrakerz wrote: »
    Don't forget that under Section 75 the card issuer has the duty to put you in the same position that you would have been in had the failure not occurred.
    Let me start by saying that I know I'm lucky. I'm hopeful of getting my money back, and feel so sorry for people who might not get their money back and for the ones affected now at the airports. I'll be happy if I get my money back.
    I'd never heard of the extra that you can claim, and wonder if anyone knows more about it. If I could get this additional amount then it means we will still get our holiday in Canada. I've been unable to find anything to match the flights I had, and the increase in price is between £600 and £1300+, depending on the airline. If I rebook with another airline, I'm either going to have to change dates or change from non direct flights. Can the card issuer challenge extra expenses claimed on the grounds that they don't match the original flights?
  • Tozer
    Tozer Posts: 3,518 Forumite
    Options
    Perhaps Martin Lewis in his next email could advise people that the extra 'charge' budget airlines apply for paying by credit card is actually a very cheap way of insuring against failure of the airline............................

That said, this will not happen to Ryanair or EZ...for a while.
  • PCollins_2
    Options
    Would it be possible to get some confirmation? Despite the fact I purchased my flights with a Visa Debit Card I will try and claim back through Chargeback, however do I have any hope of claiming back the additional £1500 I have just had to pay to get me to the UK via Air Canada?

Also, for anyone still stranded I just got a quote from BA of £600 pp flying out of Montreal on Wednesday. Believe it or not this includes their discount! Apparently they are offering 50% of their cheapest flight to Zoom customers but they require you to fax a zoom boarding card, etc before tickets can be purchased.

Any advice on claiming back our Air Canada tickets would be much appreciated or do I not have a hope in hell? I will be flying back with other stranded customers on Sunday and we have agreed to try and share our findings.
  • Sun
    Sun Posts: 326 Forumite
    Options
    Also, Avoid using Mastercard and maestro :mad:

Tozer wrote: »
    Perhaps Martin Lewis in his next email could advise people that the extra 'charge' budget airlines apply for paying by credit card is actually a very cheap way of insuring against failure of the airline............................

That said, this will not happen to Ryanair or EZ...for a while.
    All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy.
  • Tozer
    Tozer Posts: 3,518 Forumite
    Options
    moonrakerz wrote: »
    Don't forget that under Section 75 the card issuer has the duty to put you in the same position that you would have been in had the failure not occurred.

When Maxjet went bust, I not only got my original fare back but an additional £2000 to cover the extra I had to pay BA for Business Class seats to LA.

Good for you. You pay for business class service, English law puts you in the position you should have been in but for the breach of contract as you rightly say.

They could have put you on Silverjet or one of the many other new airlines offering business only. Oh, hang on, they've all gone!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport