We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Zoom Airlines is in administration: How to get your money back

Options

Comments

• mrposhman
    mrposhman Posts: 749 Forumite
    Options
    FenianMark wrote: »
    I booked 2 tickets - one on Barclays Visa Debit, One on MBNA American Express Credit Card.

I rang the credit card and they said that they cannot issue a refund until Zoom have 'ceased trading'. What exactly does this mean?

I rang Barclays and asked to begin the visa chargeback procedure which caused a lot of confusion. In the end they said that they would do, but it involved getting money out of Zooms insurers. Is this a visa chargeback or something else?

A company ceases trading when it officially stops trading. Technically a company can continue to function whilst in administration procedures, many companies are put in this state where they are run and attempt to be sold as a going concern.

unfortunately it looks highly unlikely that zoom will continue, due to the fact they have no aircraft so its likely to cease trading shortly but I believe that this needs to be announced by the administrators.
  • SimbaSimon
    SimbaSimon Posts: 810 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I thought I'd post some good news, in what seems like a really bad time! Our flights to San Diego were also pretty much down the pan, and for a budget airline, they weren't overly cheap at £600 each. But never the less, I've rung the fantastical British Airways tonight and they've got me flights at the same time as before, but going to Los Angeles as they don't fly to San Diego. The web price was already a few hundred cheaper then Zoom but they knocked £50 per person off their web price due to whole zoom problem.

Thumbs upto BA! If your currently searching for cheap flights, do try giving them a call and explain you've had flights with zoom cancelled. Note: you will need your booking confirmation for this discount.
  • Jazzy_B
    Jazzy_B Posts: 1,810 Forumite
    Options
    For me their quote was £1300 more. Told them I'd booked with Zoom. Well done!
  • Mormackay
    Options
    Can anyone advise me. My husband and me booked a flight with directly with zoom. We paid there and then with switch as there was a percentage for using the credit card. We took out travel insurance. Now as they have just gone bust we find the bank will not refund us because it was switch. the travel insurance will not refund as the company is in administration and ATOL will not refund as it was not booked via an agent.
    Please can someone tell me how we go about getting refunded??

Moira :mad:
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Moira,

Welcome to MSE.

I am afraid that you will go into the queue with numerous other creditors. There is more information on the following thread:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1124711
    Gone ... or have I?
  • Seiken
    Seiken Posts: 57 Forumite
    Options
    Can I write a letter to the bank? I paid with a visa electron debit card and phoned the night this happened but I was told I'd be in a dispute queue with the last of the people to try and get their money back with no guarantee of success and up to a 3 month wait. This is not what I asked for, I asked to start the chargeback procedures. Will I have any more success with a letter?
  • bigfatnick
    Options
    Hi all, i'm stuck in vancouver in the middle of this sticky situation.

We were due to be on yesterdays flight from vancouver to manchester with 5 mountain bikes (which makes it difficult to re book flights as some carriers wont touch us people with bikes)

I'm not home yet so have not started an attempt at claiming all the money i've lost as organiser for 5 people to go on a mountain biking holiday.

The current situation i've had is that BA could only offer me 5 seats in business class at $27000! or individual seats on various flights spanning the next week at approx $1400 a pop.

However, we went to the air canada desk and they sorted us out for $790 each, flights from vancouver to calgary, wait for 6 hours then to heathrow. They say we'll have to pay $50 each to get the bikes on the plane and the brilliantly helpful woman at the desk (i wish i got her name so i could send a letter of thanks) hooked us up for 2 rooms at the sandman suites near the airport for $85 per room per night. And i've never stayed in such a nice hotel. So all in all, i reccomend air canada to anyone reading this who's stuck in the same situation as me!

Fingers crossed for claiming the cash back (and he're hoping i actually booked it in my credit card, not my debit card, when i get home to check my statements)
  • krishna
    krishna Posts: 818 Forumite
    Options
    Our invoice/e-ticket receipt states Zoom Airlines inc, with address in Ottawa. Is that the same for everyone? Do I put Zoom Airlines inc or Zoom Airlines Ltd on the chargeback form? Used my visa debit card from Nationwide BS.
  • NFH
    NFH Posts: 4,373 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sun wrote: »
    Also, Avoid using Mastercard and maestro :mad:

According to https://www.flyzoom.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=pubDsp.dspFAQPayment (cached on Google and Yahoo), "A 2.25% administration fee will be charged for credit card and Visa Debit transactions, except for reservations originating in Canada or the U.S.A."

This means that Maestro is the only UK card that isn't surcharged, but also the only card that isn't protected. I'm not sure though why Zoom charged a percentage surcharge for Visa debit card transactions. I understood that merchants paid a low fixed fee (<50p) to accept debit cards, not a percentage, unlike credit cards.
  • krishna
    krishna Posts: 818 Forumite
    Options
    Rang BA about special deals they say they are offering people who were supposed to be flying with Zoom. They said they were offering £50 off. Then proceeded to quote me a fare (pre-discount) that was around £50 per person more expensive than the fare I could get via their website. Of course you can't get the discount anyway if you book online. Seems like a bit of a con to me. Booked with Air Canada in the end. Worked out around the same price as our Zoom tickets as Air Canada have a sale on at the moment.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport